How wrong/bad would it be to incorporate these workouts?

• This topic has 7 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

Well I was thinking as part of my workouts in the morning times of doing Insanity. I'm currently downloading all of the Insanity videos to do in the mornings as part of my cardio. (I really only do HIIT Cardio), plus lifting weights in the evening for when I do lift. Does anyone think that will hurt me? Or benefit me? Not planning on getting or doing P90x, just the High Intensity Cardio workouts. Granted I'll probably switch the workout plan I'm on when the Shockwave Protocal Workout Scheme comes out, not quite sure yet.

Naomi Most

They're pretty intense. I did 2 weeks of Insanity back in April and ended up overstraining the ligaments in my right foot due to all the quick changes of direction I wasn't used to.Curiously, my chiropractor was able to fix it in a jiffy by just pushing the fascia around... or something like that.So, uh, be careful!In terms of its suitability for Carb Back-Loading: I was Just Eating Food back then, so I can only speculate, but I can tell you that the style of cardio in Insanity isn't really intervals, it's just full on non-stop brutality.Most HIIT experts seem to think that the rest periods between intervals are just as important as the work intervals.  So just nonstop intense cardio may "work" but either be harder than it needs to be, or actually do more harm than good.

Richard Schmitt

When I was home, I would only do the Pure Cardio portion, and that video was really intense. I'm glad that you're all ok and everything now, and that the program didn't affect anything in the long run =) hate to see and hear that it would have. It would be done first thing in the mornings, and later on in the evenings I would do my regular training in the gym. If its a harmful affect to my goals, I can always stick to my regular Interval Cardio on the certains days it's assigned to.I do appreciate the reply back too Naomi

robhally

I did a full round of P90X as a sort of starting point for my fitness/health journey. I can definitely say that these workouts will kick your butt. I assume Insanity would be the same sort of thing. If I were to attempt both the P90X/Insanity workouts and my regular weight training sessions I would probably die. Then again, I'm not too familiar with how similar Insanity is to P90X so if you can handle the Insanity workouts without being hindered in the weight room then I say go for it. Nothing wrong with trying it for a while to see if it works for you.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Well, if your goal is to increase your strength and lactic acid tolerance with little-to-no mass gains then go to town with the extra workouts all day.Although insanity has some peaks of exertion that would allow it to be called HIIT, it is not, nor does it come anywhere close to the type of HIIT that Kiefer recommends.  I have fun with Insanity, but overall it is a steady-state cardio with submaximal bursts and it is these submaximal bursts that make you feel like you are doing HIIT.  A good HIIT routine will usually have a 100% exertion phase followed by an active recovery phase that allows you to regain full breathing control prior to your next 100% burst.  Nothing in Insanity forces me to do 100% bursts and it definitely does not give me a recovery period.

all2prodigal

If you're trying to increase pure strength, I think Insanity, if anything, won't help, but hurt (unless you are a complete newbie couch potato). I've had some friends that tested the program all the way through and though they lost fat, they actually lost quite a bit of strength. It's so demanding on the CNS that once will not be able to effectively lift for mass and strength. Overtraining can be a definite symptom. Of course, this is all anectodotal, but in my experience with multiple, well-trained and experienced coworkers and friends, this is usually the result.

Naomi Most

Well, if your goal is to increase your strength and lactic acid tolerance with little-to-no mass gains then go to town with the extra workouts all day.Although insanity has some peaks of exertion that would allow it to be called HIIT, it is not, nor does it come anywhere close to the type of HIIT that Kiefer recommends.  I have fun with Insanity, but overall it is a steady-state cardio with submaximal bursts and it is these submaximal bursts that make you feel like you are doing HIIT.  A good HIIT routine will usually have a 100% exertion phase followed by an active recovery phase that allows you to regain full breathing control prior to your next 100% burst.  Nothing in Insanity forces me to do 100% bursts and it definitely does not give me a recovery period.

Well that makes me feel like a wimp. Those bursts were more than maximal for me. Then again I'd just had a baby 5 months prior.  😀More to the point, though: I think you're right, Insanity is basically the OPPOSITE of what you ought to be doing, when you're looking for a good HIIT to complement strength-training.I think for a lot of people on these forums in particular, it would serve the same deleterious function as an hour of steady-state cardio: added need for recovery time and calories with no additions to strength (and possible loss of strength).

Tomahawk

Did you end up giving it a go or not?To me it felt more like 40 minutes of suck. After reading an article by Kiefer about Crossfit I was even less inclined to do Crossfit and Insanity. HIIT with 30 seconds on and 2-4minutes rests sounds much more appealing.I want to say this is the right article.http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/636/go-crossfit/

Richard Schmitt

Did you end up giving it a go or not?To me it felt more like 40 minutes of suck. After reading an article by Kiefer about Crossfit I was even less inclined to do Crossfit and Insanity. HIIT with 30 seconds on and 2-4minutes rests sounds much more appealing.I want to say this is the right article.http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/636/go-crossfit/

I did not, no. I cherish the information given to me and if they say it won't help or be ideal. I ended up not doing it. I just do 1 min on//4 min off or how I feel that day.

What everyone said is gold, obviously it is a video you can do whatever you like. You can follow their activities and make it a HIIT session. Like do the high knees as fast as you can for 30 seconds and give yourself a few minutes rest and repeat or do another movement that kills you.That is the main problem as stated, a lot of the intense parts are too short and the rest is as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

How wrong/bad would it be to incorporate these workouts?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?