Hypertrophy/Strength Training

• This topic has 6 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

skinnykid13
    Keymaster

I've become interested in the issue of bodybuilding vs powerlifting and I wanted your opinions on what other CBL'ers think is a good method to combine these two styles of training. For example, I am doing Starting Strength which consists of two workouts performed on non-consecutive days: 1) squat 3×5, bench 3×5, deadlift 1×5; 2) squat 3×5, press 3×5, power clean 5×3. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to incorporate a couple back off sets for each exercise that go in a rep range of somewhere between 6-12 to allow for some additional volume and hypertrophy. Also, as someone who strength trains but would still like some hypertrophy, is it better just to do a split routine consisting of compound exercises or just continue with Starting Strength as I am now?

Richard Schmitt

Nope isn't a bad idea, in fact pshannon and I are officially doing Layne Norton's PHAT Routine, starting today, but it has a combination of powerlifting/strength sessions, along with hypertrophy/bodybuilding sessions other parts of the week.

Daveski731

I did that for a few months and it helps with the progressions as well, but make sure to keep the weight simple. Also i would add in dips, and chins as a supinated pulling position has more stretch than a pronated one. I would talk to Selkow(elitefts) for the progression of these 2. He is the man with the Chin and Dip plan. He is also a riot.

pshannon

I did that for a few months and it helps with the progressions as well, but make sure to keep the weight simple. Also i would add in dips, and chins as a supinated pulling position has more stretch than a pronated one. I would talk to Selkow(elitefts) for the progression of these 2. He is the man with the Chin and Dip plan. He is also a riot.

What do you mean keep the weights simple? I'm obviously going to ramp most of the compound movement sets, but should I pyramid each set, keep the weight consistent, ect?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It really doesn't matter what style of training you choose.  Powerlifting will get you big and bodybuilding will get you strong.  They just won't get you to the advanced levels, but they will get you pretty far.  Hypertrophy and strength aren't antagonists, they are very complentary.  Contrary to what a lot of people say, for non-elite athletes in either sport, the biggest guy is typically the strongest guy.  Like anything else there are exceptions, but they are not usually the case.A good program that focuses on strength and size is 5/3/1. 

Daveski731

What do you mean keep the weights simple? I'm obviously going to ramp most of the compound movement sets, but should I pyramid each set, keep the weight consistent, ect?

Simple, you know keep it simple stupid, progress weekly if able bi monthly monthly, back off sets should be areound 60-70%of weight used during last set, dips and chins body weight until say bang out sets of 20 is easy then add some weight. And what ibob said is pretty true its not until a certain leel that you realy have to focus on one or the other.

FBGB

Nope isn't a bad idea, in fact pshannon and I are officially doing Layne Norton's PHAT Routine, starting today, but it has a combination of powerlifting/strength sessions, along with hypertrophy/bodybuilding sessions other parts of the week.

+1 Best workout routine IMO and I'm never changing haha. Consistently making gains!

Richard Schmitt

Going to find out and use it today in about an hour in a half 8)

paull

It really doesn't matter what style of training you choose.  Powerlifting will get you big and bodybuilding will get you strong.  They just won't get you to the advanced levels, but they will get you pretty far.  Hypertrophy and strength aren't antagonists, they are very complentary.  Contrary to what a lot of people say, for non-elite athletes in either sport, the biggest guy is typically the strongest guy.  Like anything else there are exceptions, but they are not usually the case.A good program that focuses on strength and size is 5/3/1.

agreed!5/3/1 on the one hand most likely guarantees you that you´ll progress in your main lifts and at the same time it gives you enough capacity to get in some pure hypertrophy work!

acarnovale

I've become interested in the issue of bodybuilding vs powerlifting and I wanted your opinions on what other CBL'ers think is a good method to combine these two styles of training. For example, I am doing Starting Strength which consists of two workouts performed on non-consecutive days: 1) squat 3x5, bench 3x5, deadlift 1x5; 2) squat 3x5, press 3x5, power clean 5x3. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to incorporate a couple back off sets for each exercise that go in a rep range of somewhere between 6-12 to allow for some additional volume and hypertrophy. Also, as someone who strength trains but would still like some hypertrophy, is it better just to do a split routine consisting of compound exercises or just continue with Starting Strength as I am now?

Do the 5/3/1 program with the boring but big assistance work. Start the assistance light (say at 30 or 40%) and then ramp your way up each cycle by 5 or 10% per cycle until you're up to around 70%. Make sure you buy the book as Wendler lays everything out very well and it's only $20.  Also, do the Selkow chin/dip program through the elitefts.com Q&A. He knows his shit.

CptSmash

There's nothing going against hypertrophy-strength based programs.  You can do them at the same time if you'd prefer not to split up strength and hypertrophy style workouts.  Most people will agree that you can perform strength work and flow right into hypertrophy work either within the same workout, or the next day depending upon you split.  Just realize that when you focus on both, that your strength gains can be compromised and visa versa.  You can be a jack of all trades, but a master of none.  It's really up to you and your goal set.  If you want to be strong and add some size, then I would split your workouts into a 5-3-1 style, which focuses primarily on strength gains.  Then add in assistance exercises that suit your needs.  Everyone is different with what works for them.Another important point is that everything will work, it simply depends on how long it works for, and if you're willing to take the time to filter out the useless fluff from the exercises that you feel giving you the best bang for your buck, so to say.v/rGremlin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hypertrophy/Strength Training

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?