Ideal Training Programs for?

• This topic has 11 voices and 30 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

Ok so we discuss highly on these fourms about strength, but if someone was wanting to changing their body with adding strength to it, what would be a good, solid program for that? Reason I ask because I was thinking about this, also because I'd see a lot of topics about Powerlifting and Body Building. (Going to sound completely stupid right now) I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is and what the difference is in training styles. I'm of course doing Shockwave but with what Kiefer was saying in a previous podcast, was that this was a style for gaining or maintaining strength. Also hear highly about 5/3/1 and such. I like to focus on the main compound lifts to get stronger but also do the whole accessory work to help those certain body parts to be defined.

maxwkw

Powerlifting training is typically lower volume and has lower rep ranges 1-5. Also the intent behind the 2 is different. In powerlifting you're training to be the strongest at the squat, bench press, and deadlift. Everything you do is about building those movements. Body building On the other hand is typically higher volume and the intent is size, symmetry, and aesthetic. Everything you do is about improving the shape and look of your body. They're both strength training and both have their place (and can be mixed) but in the end if you're looking to compete in either sport you would probably be best served focusing on that goal.

Richard Schmitt

Wow thank you for that. That clears up a lot for me and helps me understand. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

AdamFiddler

The one you can stick to. 

Mjl1030

That is a great way to put it. I was on a plan just to put on size in different places. I had a weak looking back so that was what I shaped. It still needs some work but it looks 10x better!

MJC

Bodybuilding will typically give you a better body composition

Richard Schmitt

So…if I was to post what I've been doing and planning on keeping? Just to see what y'all thought?Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

sckiely
    Participant

Not really! Anything can give you a great physique when the right emphasis is utilized. Hence gymnast fantastic physiques with only body weight movements.Powerlifting is great for body composition if you utilize diet correctly.

CaseyD

Not really! Anything can give you a great physique when the right emphasis is utilized. Hence gymnast fantastic physiques with only body weight movements.Powerlifting is great for body composition if you utilize diet correctly.

+1 ... Can't out-train your diet

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

A lot of people are scared of the term bodybuilding, but if you are just going to the gym to look good that is exactly what you are doing.  Bodybuilding does not necessarily mean getting tanned, oiled, and put on posing trunks and going on stage.I used to never think of myself as a bodybuilder when I first began to workout, but once I figured out that I was, my progress skyrocketed.

Richard Schmitt

So if I was to post what my training scheme looks like, would y'all critique it then? Out of curiosity?Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Damon Amato
    Participant

Of course

Richard Schmitt

Alright well it's using the SW format but with a “spin”.Chest and Bi's

Bench Press: 2 sets x 8 reps x 135lbs (Warm-up)

• Bench Press: ELECT (Was 75/80/85/90/95%, now trying 30/50/75/85/95%)
  • Bench Press: 2 sets x 5 reps x 85% of 1RM
  • Incline Bench: ELECT
  • Decline Bench: ELECT
  • DB Pullover: 2 sets x 8 reps *<--Thinking about adding another set to this and bumping it up to 10 reps.
  • Wide Grip Pulldowns: 3 sets x 8 reps
  • EZ Bar Curl: ELECT *<--Going to do another 2 sets of ELECT
  • Close-Grip Pulldowns/Pull-ups: ELECT *<--Adding 2 more sets x 8-10 reps
  • Hammer Curls: 2 sets x 10 reps *<--Adding another set
  • Tricep Rope Pushdown: 2 sets x 10 reps *<--Adding another set
  • Legs

Squats: 2 sets x 8 reps (Warm-up)

• Squats: ELECT
  • Squats: 2 sets x 5 reps x 85% 1RM
  • Leg Press: ELECT *<--Adding 2 more ELECT sets
  • Leg Extensions: 3 sets x 12 reps
  • Leg Curls: ELECT *<--Adding 2 more sets x 12 reps
  • Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 2 sets x 10 reps *<--Adding another set
  • Seated Calf Raise: AFAP set x 100 reps
  • Calf Press: 3 sets x 8 reps
  • Rocking Calf Raise: 3 sets x 12 reps
  • Shoulders and Tri's

Shoulder Press: 2 sets x 8 reps (Warm-up)

• Shoulder Press: ELECT
  • Shoulder Press: 2 sets x 5 reps x 85% 1RM
  • 1-Arm 1/2 DB Upright Row: ELECT *<--Adding 2 more ELECT sets
  • DB Laterals : 2 sets x 8 reps *<--Adding another set, but changing reps to 10
  • Close-Grip Bench: ELECT *<--Adding 2 more ELECT sets
  • Dips: 2 sets x 10 reps *<--Adding another set
  • Standing Concentration Curls: 2 sets x 10 reps *<--Adding another set
  • *Wanting to add Skull Crushers before the curls: 3 sets x 10 reps
  • Back

Deadlift: 2 sets x 8 reps (Warm-up)

• Deadlift: ELECT
  • Deadlift: 2 sets x 5 reps x 85% 1RM
  • Wide-Grip Pulldown: 3 sets x 10 reps
  • 1-Arm DB Row/Bent BB Row: ELECT *<--Adding 2 more ELECT sets
  • Close-Grip Pulldowns: 3 sets x 8 reps *<--Changing the reps to 10-12
  • DB Shrug: ELECT *<--Adding 2 more ELECT sets
  • High-Wide Pulley Row/Face-pulls: ELECT *<--Adding 2 more ELECT sets
  • Bentover DB Side Laterals: 3 sets x 10 reps
  • DB Bench Press: 2 sets x 10 reps *<--Adding another set
  • *Wanting to add T-Bar rows before Bentover DB Side Laterals: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

Brandon D Christ
Participant

I am currently re-doing the prep phase to “detox” myself from my vacation (which I swear I somehow got leaner).  I like Shockwave for this purpose.  Anyway I found a great improvement to the Dumbell Pullover that gives you a better stretch.  You go to a crossover station and attach either a single handle or just grap the cable itself (something that simulates grabbing a dumbell) and adjust the height of the pulley so that when you kneel on your knees you can perform a partial pullover.  You could also sit on a bench.  This will give you a MUCH better stretch than the dumbell will.Better yet if your gym has a machine for this move, use that.

Richard Schmitt

So does my training schedule look ideal?Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ideal Training Programs for?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?