Injury Advice

• This topic has 7 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

stlhoosier11

Hi all-Working the shockwave protocol, yesterday was deadlift day for me. On my 2nd to last "set", when i reached the top of the deadlift I felt the area by my tailbone "pop".  Its been incredibly sore for the past 24 hours and I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice?  My form has been monitored and is good (not great).Thanks, sitting at my desk this morning isn't the most pleasant.

Hi all-Working the shockwave protocol, yesterday was deadlift day for me. On my 2nd to last "set", when i reached the top of the deadlift I felt the area by my tailbone "pop".  Its been incredibly sore for the past 24 hours and I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice?  My form has been monitored and is good (not great).Thanks, sitting at my desk this morning isn't the most pleasant.

Take it easy, R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compress, elevate) it a few times a day for 25 minutes at a time... see if it improves.  You may have just pulled something, and it could be inflamed.  If it doesn't get better in a week or two, see a doctor.Cory

BenjaminD

I have had some nasty lower back problems and ice was always my first go-to. After that, make sure you get some movement in the area and do not neglect the area completely! Do what you can as far as movement goes; if you rest it and absolutely avoid the injured area, you are going to seize up and it WILL get worse.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siw6WYo_Hcs&feature=plcphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDMbXj1EWE&feature=channel&list=UL

I have had some nasty lower back problems and ice was always my first go-to. After that, make sure you get some movement in the area and do not neglect the area completely! Do what you can as far as movement goes; if you rest it and absolutely avoid the injured area, you are going to seize up and it WILL get worse.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siw6WYo_Hcs&feature=plcphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDMbXj1EWE&feature=channel&list=UL

+1This is true... take it easy, but don't stagnate completely.Cory

Marty P Koch
    Participant

When you say the popping happened near your tailbone, is that where the pain is as well?It's already been 24 hours, is the pain getting worse, reached its crescendo and staying the same, or is it getting better?As mentioned already, it should have been iced IMMEDIATELY, and then repeatedly thereafter.All that said, popping - or any sound - accompanied by pain - NOT GOOD.  Get it looked at by someone who will send you for a dagnostic (XRay, Ultrasound, MRI) sooner rather than later.  It never hurts to know what you are dealing with.  Worst case: it needs intervention but you will know ASAP and increase your chances for least downtime and need for cutting you open.  Best case: it's nothing serious and you will settle down with that knowledge and a solid game plan to 'come back'.Little advice from an old man who has learned the hard way that he is not immortal.

When you say the popping happened near your tailbone, is that where the pain is as well?It's already been 24 hours, is the pain getting worse, reached its crescendo and staying the same, or is it getting better?As mentioned already, it should have been iced IMMEDIATELY, and then repeatedly thereafter.All that said, popping - or any sound - accompanied by pain - NOT GOOD.  Get it looked at by someone who will send you for a dagnostic (XRay, Ultrasound, MRI) sooner rather than later.  It never hurts to know what you are dealing with.  Worst case: it needs intervention but you will know ASAP and increase your chances for least downtime and need for cutting you open.  Best case: it's nothing serious and you will settle down with that knowledge and a solid game plan to 'come back'.Little advice from an old man who has learned the hard way that he is not immortal.

Big time +1

Damon Amato
    Participant

Sometimes this can be a release of scar tissue, or a slight bony tissue mobilization, or nothing. Continue icing, try not to sit in the same position for very long.

stlhoosier11

Thanks for all of the replies, always impressed by the amount of help on these boards.I iced immediately and have been doing some light stretching every hour (desk job).  Its not getting any worse or any better, just uncomfortable after sitting for a while.I don;t think there was an audible pop when it happend (headphones in so not 100%) but it felt similar to cracking a knuckle or something like that at the bottom of my tailbone. Now its just kind of tight and feels like ti needs to happen again.I'll continue to ice/strecth/mobility and see how it plays out. Thanks.

BenjaminD

I don;t think there was an audible pop when it happend (headphones in so not 100%) but it felt similar to cracking a knuckle or something like that at the bottom of my tailbone. Now its just kind of tight and feels like ti needs to happen again.I'll continue to ice/strecth/mobility and see how it plays out. Thanks.

I know exactly how that feels. I have an area around my tailbone that constantly feels like it's just about to crack but never does. It is very, very frustrating. As for stretching and mobility work, try to avoid directly stressing the injury and focus on working around it at first. If it's a lower back problem then work the hamstrings, quads, hips, and perhaps even your lower lats. These will release some tightness throughout the entire lower back.

Gl;itch.e

I iced immediately and have been doing some light stretching every hour (desk job).  Its not getting any worse or any better, just uncomfortable after sitting for a while.

Avoid Stretching IMO. If its a ligament you dont want to make it any more lax than it has become.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Injury Advice

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?