Intermittent fasting

• This topic has 7 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Chuck

Hello I read the article about intermittent fasting and wondered about peoples results. Or how long they are fasting during the day? I always thought training in homeostasis (fasted) was good but Kiefer said not to go till 3-4 o clock fasted but that’s the idle time to train on CBL. Oddly enough I wake up have coffee, coconut oil and don’t eat until after I train around 4 o clock is feeding time, and I have lost 17lbs and gained muscle plus I am on the CN system until I hit 190lbs-195lbs.Started the diet on 27Dec2011215lbs at 6’ 1”Now I am 198lbs and still having my carb nite every Saturday. ;D

Cropsy

I too have had good results using IF and, since about July, IF coupled with CBL, usually fasting for 16 or 17 hours a day. I'd be curious to see the rest of Kiefer's thoughts on why he doesn't recommend it (for muscle gain anyway)…

Chuck

Yea me too, so far results are great using CBL or CN with IF. Here is the radio link on Propane fitness where he talks more about why.http://propanefitness.com/audio-interview-with-john-kiefer-creator-of-carb-backloading/

IOWA.PharmD

His most recent article (on the DH homepage) talks about why he is against it. It is b/c fasting for >14 hours or so shuts down the mTOR pathway, thus slowing down/stopping muscle growth. CBL thought on IF: fasting sans food= bad, fasting sans carbs (consuming mainly fats, MCT, etc)= good.

Naomi Most

Hello I read the article about intermittent fasting and wondered about peoples results. Or how long they are fasting during the day? I always thought training in homeostasis (fasted) was good but Kiefer said not to go till 3-4 o clock fasted but that’s the idle time to train on CBL. Oddly enough I wake up have coffee, coconut oil and don’t eat until after I train around 4 o clock is feeding time, and I have lost 17lbs and gained muscle plus I am on the CN system until I hit 190lbs-195lbs.Started the diet on 27Dec2011215lbs at 6’ 1”Now I am 198lbs and still having my carb nite every Saturday. ;D

Fasting from carbs is what gets you the benefits of IF.  Taking the coconut oil while you fast from everything else means you're getting all of the benefits of IF without the downsides.  (That was the point of Kiefer's blog post.)

zewski

fasting=zero calscoconut oil in coffee=caloriesYou're fineAs Naomi mentioned you most likely got such great results because you were zero carb for most of the day (pre-workout)

Naomi Most

Yeah, keep in mind (and I say this a lot): Kiefer is always talking about doing the OPTIMAL thing, not just the “works pretty well” thing.  He trains figure competitors for whom the functional difference from changing their behavior or diet may just be a percentage point difference, but it means all the world when they get on stage.So.  Intermittent Fasting just turns out to be suboptimal -- particularly in situations where you're trying to lose body fat but keep all of your muscle.  So you can keep your fasting to under 14 hours (in which case you're still essentially doing CBL).  Or... you can mix in some calories from fat or a very careful amount of whey protein (this is what the AM Accelerator shake is all about), preserve all the muscle, AND keep losing body fat, AND get the growth hormone benefits, AND the general longevity benefits from autophagy.I mean, if you can get all of the benefits from IF without actually abstaining from all food, and you find fasting uncomfortable, then why do a full fast? That's all I'm saying.If you find fasting comfortable, of course, and it's working for you, keep doing it.  More power to you.  A 14- or 16-hour zero-calorie fast is still well within the realm of "OK"ness, and a 20-hour fast won't immediately eat up all of your muscle.  It'll just restrict the amount of muscle you COULD have gained.Basically, we just want people to get empowered with the best information possible.  How you use this information is up to you.

Newfiedan
    Participant

I am doing it from around 9:30pm-10am the following day so just shy of 12 hours or so sometimes it can be longer (from 6pm to 10am) depending on how hungry I am, I just base it off hunger these days more than cal counting, and the great part is that I am not afraid to not eat anymore, so its no biggie if I miss a meal here or there. How much it has impacted my fat loss is hard to say, I hope it has been helping lol.

Naomi Most

I am doing it from around 9:30pm-10am the following day so just shy of 12 hours or so sometimes it can be longer (from 6pm to 10am) depending on how hungry I am, I just base it off hunger these days more than cal counting, and the great part is that I am not afraid to not eat anymore, so its no biggie if I miss a meal here or there. How much it has impacted my fat loss is hard to say, I hope it has been helping lol.

That sounds fine.As Kiefer wrote as a comment on that article, he also expects people doing CBL to wind up eating a lot later than most people do when they're doing IF.  So the actual window of effect is much smaller for us than it is for people who are trying to do a strict IF regime.Personally I think it's more important to learn to watch your body's signals and eat only when actually hungry than it is to follow rules. If that means you go 16 hours without eating one day, so be it (I've definitely done that).  I just wouldn't make that a lifestyle choice.

Newfiedan
    Participant

Yeah since I started skipping breakfast now things have changes quite a bit, I did not eat a meal until 2pm today and felt fine, I can use coffee to prolong the time that I do not eat but when I get hungry I just eat now.

bako71

During the week I go to bed around 11 and wake at 6:30-7:00.  I notice that it doesn't matter if I go to bed later and sleep later on the weekends my body still knows it needs to eat at that 12-13 hour mark.

Chuck

True and using MCT oil in place of breakfast is awesome…………. so thanks for the heads up. Got down to 197lbs and this diet is great, 1lb a week is fine with me, considering I stuff my face once a week, and all my heavy lifts are up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Intermittent fasting

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?