is mTOR stimulation bad for us?

• This topic has 3 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jjd040

hi all,stimulating mTOR - no doubt - is good for us from a growth standpoint. but as i've studied it more, stimulation of mTOR is linked with increased aging, cancer growth, alzheimers, and more big long-term health problems.wikipedia summarizes it well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_target_of_rapamycinif you do not trust wikipedia, there are more than enough articles to suggest the same, like this one: http://biomedgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/65A/6/580.fullso what's the deal here? i am assuming that constant intake of carbs (i.e. a standard unhealthy diet) will constantly keep mTOR open due to insulin and (if you take in enough protein) amino acids, specifically leucine. therefore, i am maintaining hope that although we directly stimulate mTOR at specific times, we are still better off than the average person who constantly eats a shitty diet. mainly because we are only stimulating mTOR selectively (with a focused diet) as opposed to stimulating it all the time (with a shitty diet).thoughts? as someone who would like to live a very long life, i want to know that i'm not shooting myself in the foot with my bodybuilding pursuit.

Gnomer
    Participant

i have read a bit into this and the problem I see is all the studies I have read were not done on performance athletes. So would the negative health effects happen in a bodybuilder or strength athlete when they are stimulating mTOR for a specific purpose over the average couch potato? IMHO this would make a big difference but honestly I don't really know

jjd040

also, interestingly enough, it has been suggested that THC reduces risk of alzheimers, cancer, and heart disease. some studies have tackled this issue with positive results. Kiefer said in a podcast once that THC inhibits mTOR, so i wonder if this is the link to why THC ingestion may help you in the long term.coming from a non-smoker by the way, just thinking out loudEDIT: Sanosuke, yes, i thought the same thing. like there are obviously some positives to mTOR stimulation, perhaps they outweigh the negatives for performance athletes. especially those on a cyclic ketogenic diet, where we aren't stimulating it as often as a couch potato eating carbs 24/7

Gl;itch.e

Over expression of mTOR would be if you had cancer and so would growth hormone/aromatase and various other growth factors and hormones. I dont think its going to be responsible for disease on its own, but its likely to make things worse if there is a problem. Keep yourself healthy and it shouldnt be an issue.

Gnomer
    Participant
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

is mTOR stimulation bad for us?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?