Is This For Me?

• This topic has 12 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

futuregovernor

I have now read the book and have a really good understanding of what has been advised so far in this thread. I do have one other question. I am a Type II Diabetic but I have been able to go off of my medications by following a low carb lifestyle. Would it then be advisable to take some additional precautions on carb nights? I have plenty of older prescriptions that I could take to try to limit the damage but I don't know if that would be necessary. I realize that this may be a question for my doctor but I don't really want to be talked out of doing this just because my physician isn't familiar with the science.I tried searching the forums with no luck so I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

Newfiedan
    Participant

I would think that talking to a doctor about that would be the best thing to do unless naomi or kiefer want to step in on this one.

IOWA.PharmD

That is a question heavily favoring medical advice. This is best answered by your doctor. He may not even know the answer, but for moral reasons, I don't think anyone can give true advice on this subject.

soulmind

*Take with grain of salt*I am only raising the subject brought up by the study Kiefer mentions where resistance training produces insulin sensitivity in diabetics post workout.  I don't know if it would help on your Carb Night to do a heavy lifting program before indulging in all the goodness would help with your blood sugar levels but I think it would be the direction you should research (and for the love of God consult your doctor).  I do know that it will help with building some lean tissue to lift before the massive carb intake.  Food for thought.

futuregovernor

I appreciate all of your thoughts. Like I said originally, I realize that this is a question that would be best answered by my doctor but I was hoping that someone with similar issues had tried this. While I was doing the 4 Hour Body "Slow Carb" diet with a weekly cheat day I would take 1000mg of Glucophage both morning and night of the big day and an additional 500mg the next morning the night. My thought process was that this would help me keep my blood sugar spikes under control for the period of the binge. That said, I don't know after reading the book if that's not lessening the impact of the carb night by taking the insulin spike out the equation. I'm not looking to hold anyone on this forum liable for issues stemming from this but I understand one's hesitancy to give advice on something so delicate. I just didn't know if there were diabetics on the program that might be able to give some insight on what helped them.

You might want to shoot Naomi a PM and maybe she could bring it up to Keifer.This is something I don't think many if any of us would will want to just throw our own advice at being such a delicate issue.

futuregovernor

Thank you for the advice. I will do that.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

The easiest way to answer this is to gradually ease yourself into the carb night and see how it goes.  Type II diabetics can uptake glucose into the muscle cells after a heavy lift, so you may be able to get the insulin response and subsequent hormonal benefit without issue, but the only real way to do it is with glu testing throughout the night.  I would think your biggest risk would be hyperglycemia, but that is not a big scary problem and can be mitigated with a little injected insulin if it ends up not clearing itself.I wouldn't think hypo would be a risk, but it's still possible if the sugar stimulates a response that is overagressive, which is why I would only do it with someone around that knows how to treat you if you go unconscious from it.I know for some it might sound like risky measures, but if you have been dealing with this for any amount of time, you are probably pretty comfortable with experimenting with foods that affect your glucose levels.  Personally I encourage all my patients to experiment, after I am sure they understand all the implications anyway.  Talk to your doctor and make sure he feels the same, then give it a whirl 🙂

Naomi Most

I appreciate all of your thoughts. Like I said originally, I realize that this is a question that would be best answered by my doctor but I was hoping that someone with similar issues had tried this. While I was doing the 4 Hour Body "Slow Carb" diet with a weekly cheat day I would take 1000mg of Glucophage both morning and night of the big day and an additional 500mg the next morning the night. My thought process was that this would help me keep my blood sugar spikes under control for the period of the binge. That said, I don't know after reading the book if that's not lessening the impact of the carb night by taking the insulin spike out the equation. I'm not looking to hold anyone on this forum liable for issues stemming from this but I understand one's hesitancy to give advice on something so delicate. I just didn't know if there were diabetics on the program that might be able to give some insight on what helped them.

The problem with the 4-Hour-Body is that it doesn't work.  It's not low enough carb to improve your insulin sensitivity, and in fact, it keeps your glucose pegged above baseline for a while as the "slow carbs" trickle out into the bloodstream. And with that trickle of glucose into the bloodstream, the body never downregulates the production of glycolytic enzymes.  So the cheat day on the slow carb diet just flat out will not work.The reason why Ferriss put beans in his diet is because he himself found an ultra-low-carb diet hard to stick to, and figured that if an all-star like him couldn't do it, nobody could.Brilliant....In answer to your question: you NEED a strong insulin spike on your Carb Nite in order to reset leptin and keep fat-burning going.  But you need to keep it to a 6-hour period only, and you want to be eating fast-digesting carbs.I'm not certain how MUCH glucose the Glucophage (metformin) will pull out of circulation for you ... but my guess is that when eating as much high-glycemic food as you will be eating on Carb Nite, the metformin just isn't going to have much of an effect.  The recommendations while taking metformin are still to consume a lower-glycemic diet, and that's because taking Glucophage on a Carb Nite would be like tossing a glass of water onto a bonfire.Jeremy's approach sounds good to me, but -- while I'll shoot my mouth off informationally -- I will not give direct advice on what to DO when it comes to medical conditions. But pay special attention to the idea of doing some resistance training before all of that high-glycemic food.Kiefer's Carb Back-Loading framework was designed after he explored research showing high uptake of glucose after heavy resistance training even in the absence of insulin.  So I'd DEFINITELY recommend the heavy lifting in advance of eating the carbs.  Even those of us without diabetes feel better and look better when working the diet in this way.

futuregovernor

At what point does one start to see a breakthrough? I am being a little impatient I realize but having done this for three weeks now and having only lost 3 pounds and no inches I'm kind of curious if this is the progress I can expect or if it will pick up.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Everyone is different. I've lost about 13lb total, about 5%bf, but only 3/4″ off my waist. I'd give it two more weeks and then log your food for critiques before changing.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

I found that since I didn't lose muscle, it was far more difficult to see results.  The scale was not friendly at all, but when I started going for regular BodPod measurements, I could really start seeing the fat loss.  I took pictures once a month for comparison as well, and over time I could see the changes that I was after, but the accurate measurement of body fat and muscle mass is where the best feedback was for me.

dawatts22

I found that since I didn't lose muscle, it was far more difficult to see results.  The scale was not friendly at all, but when I started going for regular BodPod measurements, I could really start seeing the fat loss.  I took pictures once a month for comparison as well, and over time I could see the changes that I was after, but the accurate measurement of body fat and muscle mass is where the best feedback was for me.

What was the cost of the bod pod measurements?

Damon Amato
    Participant

where I am it costs $30/test at a university, $50/test at a health club.

Chuck

My dad is a type two diabetic. He has been on diets such as the Atkins. One thing he noticed with the carb-nite was notable weight loss with less muscle degradation. Atkins totally shredded him of all body fat and muscle, he felt weak. The Atkins diet was also unmanageable as a lifestyle. Since starting carb-nite he has dropped 22lbs in 6 weeks. However his muscle has maintained, and his only training is walking. He recently received his diabetes blood work, and it came back great. So he is sticking with the carb-nite system for the full 6 months.His stats are:5’10” at 188lbs trying to get to 175lbs.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Is This For Me?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?