Jim Wendler’s 3 month Challenge

• This topic has 22 voices and 53 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

anyone have good results after 3 months?

I personally didn't.  I actually tried both 5/3/1 and Kiefer's program.  5/3/1 gave me a 5 lb increase on my bench and Kiefer's program did nothing.  This was all done over a year and a half ago.  My bench didn't budge until I started doing speed work, quit overhead pressing so often, and started using more of a variety of pressing exercises.  Also a lot of back and tricep work helped as well.

Derekcerva
    Participant

I personally didn't.  I actually tried both 5/3/1 and Kiefer's program.  5/3/1 gave me a 5 lb increase on my bench and Kiefer's program did nothing.  This was all done over a year and a half ago.  My bench didn't budge until I started doing speed work, quit overhead pressing so often, and started using more of a variety of pressing exercises.  Also a lot of back and tricep work helped as well.

nothing in terms of lean mass with the 5/3/1 boring but big?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Well that wasn't the point of the challenge, but I am always putting on mass.  However I am not a fan of "Boring but Big" for putting on mass for someone like myself that is really strong at squatting and deadlifting.  Unless I used 50% or under, there is no way I would be able to do 5 sets of 10 in those lifts regularly.  Plus it would feel like cardio.  I was always more of a fan of using smaller exercises to build mass.  For instance, after squats and deadlifts I would do 5 sets of 10 of leg presses and 5 sets of 10 of 45 degree back extensions.  I might be able to do Boring but big with the bench and military press, but I would still do other exercises.Boring but Big might work ok for newer lifters. 

Derekcerva
    Participant

Well that wasn't the point of the challenge, but I am always putting on mass.  However I am not a fan of "Boring but Big" for putting on mass for someone like myself that is really strong at squatting and deadlifting.  Unless I used 50% or under, there is no way I would be able to do 5 sets of 10 in those lifts regularly.  Plus it would feel like cardio.  I was always more of a fan of using smaller exercises to build mass.  For instance, after squats and deadlifts I would do 5 sets of 10 of leg presses and 5 sets of 10 of 45 degree back extensions.  I might be able to do Boring but big with the bench and military press, but I would still do other exercises.Boring but Big might work ok for newer lifters.

Oh I was under the impression it was an attempt to gain hypertrophy while maintaining strength . I'm a fan of variety myself was just wondering if I should suck it up if people got good hypertrophy gains

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

No the challenge was to see what program can increase your bench better, 5/3/1 or Kiefer's bench program. 

Derekcerva
    Participant

oh ok, well i was just referring to the purpose of the boring but big not the challenge, on t nation i believe it says its for hypertrophy. Its just a take on the normal 5/3/1 correct?

Richard Schmitt

Yes the Boring But Big template is for Strength and Hypertrophy

Caino
    Participant

Yes the Boring But Big template is for Strength and Hypertrophy

and its boring but you will get big

Michael Costanzo
    Participant

Hi all, I'm new here and I recently stumbled upon the 5/3/1 BBB while looking for a strength and hypertrophy program to use with CBL.  I know I'm reviving an old thread but has anyone had good results with this since the last post?

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Jim Wendler’s 3 month Challenge

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?