Jim Wendler’s 3 month Challenge

• This topic has 22 voices and 53 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

sckiely
    Participant

A lot of people here either use or know about 5/3/1, we also all want to build big muscles, get strong and LOOK awesome. So i thought i'd link Jim Wendlers latest T-Nation article, that is basically everybody heres dream come true, strength and size in one lovely little package.http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challengeIf it doesn't interest you thats fine, just thought i'd share and see who was up for the challenge?

Damon Amato
    Participant

if i quit my first job i dont think id have time to follow this program.  I'd be a beast of a person though!

Richard Schmitt

I saw this the other day!! this looks awesome, I would love to try something like this. The funny thing is I'm making some pretty good gains with Shockwave right now…

Kevin Creel

Looks like a great program, I'm going to give it a serious look. Thanks for the link!

Bartleby83

Wendler knows his shit. It is worth a try.

CaseyD

if i quit my first job i dont think id have time to follow this program.  I'd be a beast of a person though!

It's really only about 1 hour...maybe 1.25 max.Though I do have to say, changing from how I train right now (bodypart split, 5 days/week), this seems like a pretty low volume. I know, I know, less is more, Wendler is a genius, but it just seems like it might miss a few things...Has anyone else changed from a more traditional bodybuilding split to something like this before? What, if any, adjustments did you have to make?

Kevin Creel

With regards to this and other big programs, I have a question about food.  Like many powerlifting and muscle gaining programs the recommendation is to, as Wendler put it “eat big” I believe Intensity Junkie also advised once that if I was doing DB, then IBodybuilder might be ok.  My question is how will these programs work while on SA? Are the food amounts enough to still grow and recover? I'm still at about 14%, so I want to lose a bit of fat, but I still want to put on more mass and get stronger. 

acarnovale

With regards to this and other big programs, I have a question about food.  Like many powerlifting and muscle gaining programs the recommendation is to, as Wendler put it "eat big" I believe Intensity Junkie also advised once that if I was doing DB, then IBodybuilder might be ok.  My question is how will these programs work while on SA? Are the food amounts enough to still grow and recover? I'm still at about 14%, so I want to lose a bit of fat, but I still want to put on more mass and get stronger. 

I think you could still do this on SA. It really isn't about less food just less back-loads. I'd say if you're going to do something like this make sure you're really pushing the carbs down on your back-loads and maybe up your protein intake in the early part of the day as well as your off days.

CaseyD

Agreed. I would think this program would make use of fewer backloads (training days only since you're doing SA), but make them fairly carb laden.

Naomi Most

With regards to this and other big programs, I have a question about food.  Like many powerlifting and muscle gaining programs the recommendation is to, as Wendler put it "eat big" I believe Intensity Junkie also advised once that if I was doing DB, then IBodybuilder might be ok.  My question is how will these programs work while on SA? Are the food amounts enough to still grow and recover? I'm still at about 14%, so I want to lose a bit of fat, but I still want to put on more mass and get stronger. 

I think you could still do this on SA. It really isn't about less food just less back-loads. I'd say if you're going to do something like this make sure you're really pushing the carbs down on your back-loads and maybe up your protein intake in the early part of the day as well as your off days.

Err... that's not quite right.SA is optimized for fat loss while still making some strength and size gains.Density Bulking is optimized for strength/size gains while allowing you to keep your same leanness (or possibly lose some fat).The difference in DB is the addition of strategic mini-meals and more peri-workout nutrition. These additions help feed muscle, but also cut off fat-burning potential.If you're going to do this Wendler challenge (which I've just now finished reading), and you want to see it have its full effect, you should be doing Density Bulking.  If you do it right, you should see nothing but muscle gain, and your bodyfat percentage will go down even if you don't lose fat, just by virtue of having more lean mass.If you do this on SA, I'd be very surprised if the program lived up to its promises.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Not a fan of Wendler…however this is a great plan, it's how I have always trained.  In my opinion, always keep it simple and instead of doing 2 sets of a whole bunch of exercises, just do a lot of sets of a few exercises.  This actually saves a lot of time because you aren't setting up a whole bunch of exercises.Good plan for someone like myself who likes to balance strength and size.

CaseyD

Just curious, what's your beef with Wendler? Not coming to his defense or anything lol, just wondering…

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Just can't stand his personality, well the personality he displays publicly at least.  I hate the “badass, tough guy” persona he displays.  I think it's annoying.  While I do belive a man should be masculine and tough, I am also a person who values humility.  Tough, but polite is my creed.  However I wouldn't be suprised if he was completely different in real life. 

CaseyD

Haha, yeah, I can see that. His writing makes it sound like if you don't do “X”, you're not a man. Personally, I think it's just his writing style. I mean, look at Kiefer, VERY opinionated, which gets readers who both love and hate him. Either way, I can see how it would be a turn off for some people to read. Luckily, if you sift thru the overly masculine articles and whatnot from Wendler, he's got some good stuff.

Chris

If you're going to do this Wendler challenge (which I've just now finished reading), and you want to see it have its full effect, you should be doing Density Bulking.  If you do it right, you should see nothing but muscle gain, and your bodyfat percentage will go down even if you don't lose fat, just by virtue of having more lean mass.If you do this on SA, I'd be very surprised if the program lived up to its promises.

I started doing the 3 month challenge at the start of the week for a bit of a change. but i also dropped from DB to SA as i want to drop some body fat for holiday. Would i be best rethinking this approach?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Jim Wendler’s 3 month Challenge

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?