Just starting CBL

• This topic has 3 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

scriver1805
    Keymaster

Hello all–I have read the CBL book and have read many posts in the forum about CBL and how to implement the program, but I want to make sure I've got the basics down. So here it goes.I am a 33 year old female, about 5'9 and #190 with about 25% body fat. I am a weightlifter, though I do like to run (just completing a half marathon 3 weeks ago). I am looking to compete in my first powerlifting meet in March 2013 (WABDL). I am looking to lose body fat, and of course, gain muscle and strength. Currently, I lift Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; Sunday and Thursday are some sort of conditioning/running workouts. Tuesday and Saturday are rest days.I think I have the food part of it down fairly well, but I have a few questions regarding the days I would back-load. Would I do that on only my lifting days and then stay ULC on my conditioning/running and rest days? So that would mean back-loading 3 days a week and ULC for 4 days? Or, could I back-load on my 5 workout days, having larger back-loads on my lifting days and smaller carb-loads on my conditioning days; then keeping my off days as ULC?Any insight would be appreciated.Thanks!

Richard Schmitt

If you're going to do CBL SA then only backload after lifting if doing CBL DB then yea backload everyday if you wanted. Good luck and welcome

scriver1805

Thanks Big Tex! From what I gathered from the book and forum posts is that SA is better for fat loss than DB, correct?

acarnovale

Thanks Big Tex! From what I gathered from the book and forum posts is that SA is better for fat loss than DB, correct?

Hi Scriver!SA is meant for dropping body fat while maintaining or even improving strength, so that's definitely the protocol you'll want to use.With regards to your back-loads, when in the day do you lift? What does your routine look like? This will help us give you a more specific answer.

scriver1805

Thanks for your reply, acarnovale.I lift from about 3-4 PM, which from what I understand is during the optimal time of day. Right now, my routine looks like this: legs/triceps on Monday; chest/biceps on Wednesday; back/shoulders on Friday. I usually do 3-4 exercises per body part; 3-4 sets at 6-10 reps. I do focus on the big 3 lifts and other compound movements, with isolation work as secondary. I'm using this scheme to build my foundation before I switch over to a more traditional powerlifting program later this year.My current "diet" is as follows: breakfast at 5:30AM (usually oatmeal); AM snack of veggies and hardboiled eggs (2); lunch around 11:30AM (usually leftovers from the night before); pre-workout snack (protein based) around 2:30 PM. I usually have a PWO protein shake around 4:30PM, when I get home, and have supper around 6PM. Sometimes I have a snack (greek yogurt, cottage cheese) around 7PM or so. I generally try to eat more protein and fats than carbs anyway. Keep in mind, I have not actually started CBL as of yet, so I know my current regime is not CBL. I generally know what I can and cannot have during certain times of day. I'm gathering all the info I can before I dive in.Thanks!

Damon Amato
    Participant

Drop the running. Not going to help your bf levels and certainly won't help at a powerlifting meet.

acarnovale

Thanks for your reply, acarnovale.I lift from about 3-4 PM, which from what I understand is during the optimal time of day. Right now, my routine looks like this: legs/triceps on Monday; chest/biceps on Wednesday; back/shoulders on Friday. I usually do 3-4 exercises per body part; 3-4 sets at 6-10 reps. I do focus on the big 3 lifts and other compound movements, with isolation work as secondary. I'm using this scheme to build my foundation before I switch over to a more traditional powerlifting program later this year.My current "diet" is as follows: breakfast at 5:30AM (usually oatmeal); AM snack of veggies and hardboiled eggs (2); lunch around 11:30AM (usually leftovers from the night before); pre-workout snack (protein based) around 2:30 PM. I usually have a PWO protein shake around 4:30PM, when I get home, and have supper around 6PM. Sometimes I have a snack (greek yogurt, cottage cheese) around 7PM or so. I generally try to eat more protein and fats than carbs anyway. Keep in mind, I have not actually started CBL as of yet, so I know my current regime is not CBL. I generally know what I can and cannot have during certain times of day. I'm gathering all the info I can before I dive in.Thanks!

Your training split looks pretty good to me. If I can make one suggestion it would be to lower the reps on your main exercise (squat, deadlift, bench) from 6-10 to 3-5reps. This should keep the weight sufficiently heavy for CBL purposes and will also help make the transition in to a powerlifting program a little easier.Have you already chosen a program to prep for your meet?

scriver1805

Acarnovale: Not yet. I'm still trying to figure that out, too. The simpler, the better at this point. Any suggestions?

acarnovale

Acarnovale: Not yet. I'm still trying to figure that out, too. The simpler, the better at this point. Any suggestions?

Do I ever! I'd pick up 5/3/1 for Powerlifting by Jim Wendler http://store.jimwendler.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1477.I've been following 5/3/1 for a couple of years now and I love it and am progressing well. Any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

scriver1805

Thanks, acarnovale! I'll check it out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Just starting CBL

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?