Ketosis, liver

• This topic has 4 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

NoBread4Me
    Participant

I am listening to Body IO FM #13 atm, and they state that the liver can't work on ketones. So my question is, what happens to the liver if you never eat carbs and are in ketosis all thet time? Thanks

Gnomer
    Participant

Gluconeogenesis

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Your body starts making glucose from glycerol (which comes from triglycerides) and amino acids.

NoBread4Me
    Participant

So no liver damage? (just wanna make sure)

Gnomer
    Participant

depends who you talk to and what you read.. lots of people on either side.. but the body does have ways to compensate for not eating carbs.. if that's is healthy or not is debatable...

Gl;itch.e

depends who you talk to and what you read.. lots of people on either side.. but the body does have ways to compensate for not eating carbs.. if that's is healthy or not is debatable...

So lets debate it! (;

In the healthy liver, which stores glycogen, toxins can be inactivated, for example by combining with glucuronic acid, derived from the stored glucose.

In other words the less glycogen there is to draw on the less work can be performed by the liver, or perhaps not optimal work would be a better phrasing. Considering that the liver is the prinicple detoxifier in regards to estrogens etc I wouldn't be surprised if chronic low carbers had more estrogen than those who utilise more moderate carb approaches. A happy glycogen stocked Liver is also required for thyroid function. Around 80% of the active thyroid hormone T3 is converted from T4 in the liver. So reduced T3 levels are likely to be seen in those low carbing for relatively long periods. Ironically T3 promotes proper glucose utilisation so it's kind of a zero sum equation. Eat more carbs - produce more T3 - use (not store) more carbs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ketosis, liver

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?