kind of a noob question

• This topic has 6 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

steved
    Keymaster

I was wondering if exercises like chinups/pullups, push ups etc.  are resistance training?  I think it is because your using your natural bodyweight.  If it is, is it  a suitable type to add to a training regimen for a successful CBL program?Thanks for your help

Damon Amato
    Participant

resistance training, yes.  However for some people it won't be enough to activate GLUT4 receptors necessary for CBL.  I can only do about 6 bw wide grip pull-ups, so it would be fine.  I bet some people here can do 15+ though, so it's not a heavy enough load for our purposes unless you added a weight belt with chain to add resistance.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

I was wondering if exercises like chinups/pullups, push ups etc.  are resistance training?  I think it is because your using your natural bodyweight.  If it is, is it  a suitable type to add to a training regimen for a successful CBL program?Thanks for your help

Anything that involves moving a weight (be it body or iron) is resistance training. From my readings, a successful CBL program involves intense concentric contraction of muscles and that means heavy training (in the 75 - 90% of your 1 Rep Maximum). This will be a different weight in each exercise you do.  This means if you can do more than 10 or more reps in good form, it's too light.  Ideally stick to resistance that you can do between 4 and 8 reps and no more.  So if you do chin ups with your body weight and you can do 12, that's too light.  Put on a dip belt and start adding weights.  But if you can only do 4, then stick to that and when you can do more than six, start adding 5 pounds at a time.  If you can not do 3, go to an assisted chin machine and build up from there. Also your training needs to involve your strongest muscles (legs, back, chest, glutes, etc.), hopefully in a multi-joint involvement: squats, dead lifts, military presses, etc.  So a session where you are only doing arms, is definitely not a candidate for normal backloading as a session where you involve the legs, back or chest.Hope that helps and I am sure the other members will give their input as well.

Kevin rogers
    Participant

In the new CBL-heavy-duty hybrid split of the shockwave protocol, Kiefer does suggest wide grip pull ups.  One set with as many reps as possible using the eccentric form, negative form.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

In the new CBL-heavy-duty hybrid split of the shockwave protocol, Kiefer does suggest wide grip pull ups.  One set with as many reps as possible using the eccentric form, negative form.

I personally would do standard grip pullups because the range of movement is bigger and it is a better all around back builder.  Also I think you can get a better contraction.  I also read Kiefer suggests a dumbell pullover for chest, which in my opinion is an awful exercise,  but you can try them and see if you like them.

Damon Amato
    Participant

If done properly, dumbbell pullover are an exercise for your lats.  If done improperly, usually you're working mainly your triceps.

steved

Hey guys thanks for all your help

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If done properly, dumbbell pullover are an exercise for your lats.  If done improperly, usually you're working mainly your triceps.

I always have done pullovers for lats myself, but I always use cables.  Any exercise with a sharp arcing motion is better done with cables than free weights.  Another one is skull crushers.  On a decline they are ok, but flat bench skull crushers suck.

stumprrp

Pullovers are a waste, just do another set of pullups lol.Pullups are definately resistantce training for anyone.  For us big dudes, sets of 5-8 is all i can handle, but the skinny guys, i would add some weight as someone suggested.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

+1

Michael Powell

Pullovers are a waste, just do another set of pullups lol.Pullups are definately resistantce training for anyone.  For us big dudes, sets of 5-8 is all i can handle, but the skinny guys, i would add some weight as someone suggested.

YEP...I weigh 242... I usually do 6-9 sets of 8 reps on pull ups  ;D  as an accessory movement I CAN do sets of 12 but they are far less enjoyable and I start that kipping crap.... I don't do all sets in a row, I stick them in between sets of benching -  this helps to get more volume in. I'm a believer of doing at least 1 row for every bench to keep stuff balanced.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

kind of a noob question

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?