Layne Norton’s P.H.A.T. Routine

• This topic has 6 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

FBGB

What do you guys think of this routine in regards to SA? Should the backloads be consistent across all the workout days or lower on the “lighter” days. Also, what is your opinion on this routine? Day 1: Upper Body Power Day 2: Lower Body Power Day 3: Rest Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day 7: Rest Day 1: Upper Body Power Day Pulling Power Movement: Bent over or Pendlay rows 3 sets of 3-5 reps Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups 2 sets of 6-10 reps Auxiliary Pulling movement: Rack chins 2 sets of 6-10 reps Pressing Power Movement: Flat dumbbell presses 3 sets of 3-5 reps Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips 2 sets of 6-10 reps Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses 3 sets of 6-10 reps Auxiliary curling movement: Cambered bar curls 3 sets of 6-10 reps Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers 3 sets of 6-10 reps Day 2: Lower Body Power Day Pressing Power Movement: Squats 3 sets of 3-5 reps Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats 2 sets of 6-10 reps Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions 2 sets of 6-10 reps Assistance pulling movement: Stiff legged deadlifts 3 sets of 5-8 reps Assistance pulling/curling movement: Glute ham raises or lying leg curls 2 sets of 6-10 reps Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise 3 sets of 6-10 reps Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise 2 sets of 6-10 reps Day 3: Rest Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day Pulling Power Exercise speed work: Bent over or Pendlay rows 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max Hypertrophy pulling movement: Rack chins 3 sets of 8-12 reps Hypertrophy pulling movement: Seated cable row 3 sets of 8-12 reps Hypertrophy pulling movement: Dumbbell rows or shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench 2 sets of 12-15 reps Hypertrophy pulling movement: Close grip pulldowns 2 sets of 15-20 reps Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Seated dumbbell presses 3 sets of 8-12 reps Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Upright rows 2 sets of 12-15 reps Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Side lateral raises with dumbbells or cables 3 sets of 12-20 reps Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Squats 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hack squats 3 sets of 8-12 reps Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses 2 sets of 12-15 reps Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions 3 sets of 15-20 reps Hypertrophy pulling movement: Romanian deadlifts 3 sets of 8-12 reps Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls 2 sets of 12-15 reps Hypertrophy curling movement: Seated leg curls 2 sets of 15-20 reps Hypertrophy calf movement: Donkey calf raises 4 sets of 10-15 reps Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises 3 sets of 15-20 reps Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day Pressing Power Exercise speed work: Flat dumbbell presses 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max Hypertrophy pressing movement: Incline dumbbell presses 3 sets of 8-12 reps Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hammer strength chest press 3 sets of 12-15 reps Hypertrophy fly movement: Incline cable flyes 2 sets of 15-20 reps Hypertrophy curling exercise: Cambered bar preacher curls 3 sets of 8-12 reps Hypertrophy curling exercise: Dumbbell concentration curls 2 sets of 12-15 reps Hypertrophy curling exercise: Spider curls bracing upper body against an incline bench 2 sets of 15-20 reps Hypertrophy extension exercise: Seated tricep extension with cambered bar 3 sets of 8-12 reps Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable pressdowns with rope attachment 2 sets of 12-15 reps Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable kickbacks 2 sets of 15-20 reps Day 7: Rest

Tomahawk

I would say keep them consistent. The work outs have a lot of volume. They can really wear you down.

McLeod2012

Did you get this from simplyshredded.com? I was also about to start this program, however I'm doing DB

FBGB

Yeah man. I've been on this program for a few weeks and absolutely love it. One thing I did though to tweak it was switch the lower body strength day with the lower body hypertrophy day and it has worked wonders.

McLeod2012

Awesome, I'm so pumped. I've done the first two power days and I'm already really sore. Haha. Did you just work through the soreness?

FBGB

Yeah don't worry you'll get used to the soreness. It takes a couple weeks but as for right now keep pushing through it man! Trust me you won't regret it.

Richard Schmitt

I looked onto that website, and into his program…his training looks intense and worth-wild! Even saw a HIIT/Sprint layout on another link.

McLeod2012

this is probably the “funnest” program ive ever done. coming from a powerlifter to a bodybuilder it satisfies both. love it.

FBGB

I'm with you there. I am absolutely in love with this program sticking with it for as long as my body can take it. One other adjustment I made to it was to keep every auxiliary exercise on the power days between 6-8 reps just so I can go hard and heavy on every set and keep them between 10-12 on the hypertrophy days to focus more on the stretch and contraction of the muscle. 

McLeod2012

I like that idea a lot. I love mentally preparing differently for certain days.

FBGB

You guys think it would be smart to follow this routine while on CNS or would this be too much?

Richard Schmitt

Ah probably a Modified CNS or CBL SA…it seems like a lot of volume for CNS….though that wouldn't stop me from trying it. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

FBGB

My mentality exactly. Don't really believe in the whole “overtraining” hype.

McLeod2012

I think I figured out why you switched the lower body strength and hypertrophy day. Is it because you do deadlifts for lower body?

FBGB

Yeah I actually did both deads and squats on the lower body power day ended up paying for it though. Strained my lower back pretty bad last Friday and took this week off just to rest. Let's say it's the hardest week of my life.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layne Norton’s P.H.A.T. Routine

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?