Layne Norton’s P.H.A.T. Routine

• This topic has 6 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

McLeod2012

Damn son that sounds awful. Whenever I bench and do my rows(Monday-upper power day), my back takes a damn beating especially because I bench like a straight power lifter with a major arch and very tight upper back so my back is super sore on Tuesday's. I know deads are used for lower body, but they still have a major impact on your back too. So I think I may do the same as you and just switch up the power and hypertrophy days for lower body. Speed deads today. Woo!

Richard Schmitt

Ha I'm confused…trying to figure out what y'all mean. So to help keep the back from being screwed up, switch the lower power with hypertrophy? and instead of squats do deadlifts for speeds and squats for power? Am I interpeting this right?Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

FBGB

Lower Body Power Day Pressing Power Movement: Deadlifts 3 sets of 3-5 reps Assistance pressing movement: Squats 3 sets of 6-8 reps Assistance extension movement: Hack Squats 3 sets of 6-8 reps Assistance pulling movement: Leg Extensions 3 sets of 6-8 reps Assistance pulling/curling movement: Glute ham raises or lying leg curls 3 sets of 6-8 reps Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise 3 sets of 6-10 reps Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise 3 sets of 6-10 reps Lower Body Hypertrophy Day Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Squats 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hack squats 3 sets of 10-12 reps Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses 3 sets of 10-12 reps Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions 3 sets of 10-12 reps Hypertrophy pulling movement: Romanian deadlifts 3 sets of 8-10 reps Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls 3 sets of 10-12 reps Hypertrophy curling movement: Seated leg curls 3 sets of 10-12 reps Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises 4 sets of 12-15 reps Hypertrophy calf movement: Standing calf raises 3 sets of 15-20 reps This is what my current split looks like for both leg days. I basically need a wheelchair to leave the gym after I'm done with them.

Richard Schmitt

OH GOTCHA! Thanks!

McLeod2012

Geez I'll have to work my way up to squats and deads same day. Haha. I have bigger quads than hams so that's why I'm trying to bring them up with deadlifts.

Richard Schmitt

Well since this routine goes by days 1-6 not specified days, I figured I would move the power days around my Carb Nite =D and re-adjust when the Bench Challenge gets here and I move to CBL.So looks like this!:Monday: Lower Body HypertrophyTuesday: Chest and Arms HypertrophyWednesday: Rest/HIITThursday: Lower Body PowerFriday (CARB NITE): Upper Body PowerSaturday: Rest/HIITSunday: Back and Shoulders HypertrophyRinse and Repeat.

FBGB

God bless you Big Tex! I would never be able to do upper body power after killing my legs. I can barely walk around the day after lower body power.

Richard Schmitt

God bless you Big Tex! I would never be able to do upper body power after killing my legs. I can barely walk around the day after lower body power.

Haha thanks, yeah I kill my Leg everytime I train...calfs are tiny!...but my quads are "ok", plus this would be light on lower half the next day, I normally do sprints the following day after training legs...yeah I was sore. 😉

CaseyD

It's been a few weeks now, how's everyone coming with this? I'm thinking about starting up next week. I like the idea of:Upper PowerLower HypertrophyOFFBack/shoulders HypertrophyLower PowerChest/Arms HypertrophyOFFAny other variations people are having success with?

FBGB

That's the exact split I used until I messed up my back real bad doing deads. It works wonders in my opinion. Almost never had a bad workout. Consistently upping the weights.

CaseyD

That's the exact split I used until I messed up my back real bad doing deads. It works wonders in my opinion. Almost never had a bad workout. Consistently upping the weights.

Yeah, I definitely stole that idea from you lol 🙂 I like the idea of having the power days broken up a bit, though like I said, I haven't started yet. But anyway, excited to start...Did you make any other tweaks aside from what you've laid out (or anyone else)?Thanks

McLeod2012

Stole it from him as well and I love it! Both power days back to back are more stressful to my mind than body.

CaseyD

How have you been doing your back loads? Pretty consistent across all days or do you cycle a bit?

jsmith

i have been following this routine with carb back loading. I have not been all that sore from it. I do not go to failure though except for maybe 2-3 sets per workout. How often are y'all going to failure?

McLeod2012

I'm actually not backloading, I'm on a contest diet currently, however before this diet I did density bulking and back loaded every night. And I usually only take the last set to failure or close to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layne Norton’s P.H.A.T. Routine

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?