Lemon counts as usable carbs?

• This topic has 7 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Kaprice

I've been adding squeezed lemon to my water, thinking it was a fully safe addition. But, I just noticed it has 2 usable carbs per tablespoon.So, that counts towards my 30g?

Richard Schmitt

Yes it will count. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

pshannon

Yes it will count, but lemon does something great. It blunts insulin spikes caused by food, so by drinking it in your water with your meal it could have this effect. However since you SHOULD NOT be getting an insiine spike from your food, this shouldnt matter.

Cropsy

pshannon, good to know. I think I might have read that grapefruit can also blunt insulin? So, if one were forced into the horrific, nightmare situation of, say, having to 'break bread' with family or friends early in the morning (God forbid, I know), munching a lemon beforehand could be like the magic antidote, right?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yes it will count, but lemon does something great. It blunts insulin spikes caused by food, so by drinking it in your water with your meal it could have this effect. However since you SHOULD NOT be getting an insiine spike from your food, this shouldnt matter.

Link?  Not that I don't believe you, but i'm interested.

Damon Amato
    Participant

you'll still get at least a mild insulin spike when you eat a meal, just not to the same extent as a meal with carbs.

pshannon

Link?  Not that I don't believe you, but i'm interested.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2581754/?tool=pmcentrez

I've read that cinnamon does the same thing.This might be a separate topic, but Stevia has been shown to stabilize blood sugar levels. If that's the case, would it be somewhat counterproductive to use Blend H sweetened with Stevia (as I do) PWO if we're looking to cause the biggest insulin response?

+1I've read the same about cinnamon.  It steadies blood sugar already in the normal range, and prevents spiking.  There is a high-potency cinnamon extract, called "Cinnulin PF".  It is meant to help control blood sugar.The opposite effect is achieved with Gymnema Sylvestre and Banaba Leaf Extract, both of which are proported to spike insulin or enhance insulin spiking.Cory

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lemon counts as usable carbs?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?