Milk in PWO Shake a problem?

• This topic has 11 voices and 22 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Russell Fulks
    Participant

Hey all,The protein powder that I currently have tastes really good (actually too good) when mixed with milk, but tastes like crap when mixed with water.I am running CBL SA and as a post workout shake I drink 600ml milk with 60g of protein powder along with 50g dextrose and 5g creatine.  This results in 21g fat, 80g carbs, and 70g protein (of which 4g is Leucine)I know that the fat blunts the insulin response, but I'm assuming with all the carbs, protein, and Leucine I'm still getting a nice big spike to stop muscle breakdown.I know mixing with water would be preferred, but I just can't choke down that much protein powder mixed with water.  What do you guys think?

Richard Schmitt

Try skim milk with the PWO Shake. You're not trying to combine fats and carbs in the beginning. That fun comes later. Have that whole milk at the next meal or two.

Russell Fulks
    Participant

Tex,I wish I could use skim milk.  Unfortunately we can't get that over here in Hannover Germany.  I use 1.5% but that's the lowest "fresh" milk we have available.  The other option is to use the 0.3% "haltbar" or processed milk that is stored at room temperature, but it tastes like ass.Do you think the fat is so much that it will block the insulin spike with that much dextrose, Leucine, and protein?

Richard Schmitt

Milk spikes insulin but the fat may blunt some responses. If you have been doing this for a while and still getting good results, then there is no need to withdraw it. I definitely don't think you should be drinking something that tastes like ass haha

Honestly, I've used whole milk PWO with no problem. Granted I was looking to bulk so there is that, but in general it shouldn't matter much, it will still jack insulin through the roof.

Big_R
    Participant

Hey all,The protein powder that I currently have tastes really good (actually too good) when mixed with milk, but tastes like crap when mixed with water.I am running CBL SA and as a post workout shake I drink 600ml milk with 60g of protein powder along with 50g dextrose and 5g creatine.  This results in 21g fat, 80g carbs, and 70g protein (of which 4g is Leucine)I know that the fat blunts the insulin response, but I'm assuming with all the carbs, protein, and Leucine I'm still getting a nice big spike to stop muscle breakdown.I know mixing with water would be preferred, but I just can't choke down that much protein powder mixed with water.  What do you guys think?

Skip the milk....    add cinnamon to your PWO shake.  This is really good to do, along with flavor being much better.  Seems to even work ok with strawberry,  but best with chocolate type flavors.

CBachelor17

+1 On skipping the milk. 21g of fat turns your PWO Shake into a Mass Gainer PWO pretty fast. Since you cant get skim milk its probably just better to go with water. ibob-never heard of the cinnamon being used.Cinnamon is used in many diabetic supplements to regulate Insulin Levels I do know that. Is the theory to help uptake or just a taste thing?

+1 On skipping the milk. 21g of fat turns your PWO Shake into a Mass Gainer PWO pretty fast. Since you cant get skim milk its probably just better to go with water. ibobBigR-never heard of the cinnamon being used.Cinnamon is used in many diabetic supplements to regulate Insulin Levels I do know that. Is the theory to help uptake or just a taste thing?

Fixed

CBachelor17

oops hahah thanks man! Sorry Big R

Big_R
    Participant

+1 On skipping the milk. 21g of fat turns your PWO Shake into a Mass Gainer PWO pretty fast. Since you cant get skim milk its probably just better to go with water. ibob-never heard of the cinnamon being used.Cinnamon is used in many diabetic supplements to regulate Insulin Levels I do know that. Is the theory to help uptake or just a taste thing?

no crazy science behind this one.... it's not going to add 10 pounds of lean muscle or sky rocket your squat.  But it can turn some shitty tasting protein into something much more manageable.

Gnomer
    Participant

i use cinnamon for it's supposive insulin sensitvity effect but mostly just the fact it tastes great:)

Russell Fulks
    Participant

I will have to give the cinnamon a try. I wouldn't mind adding weight, but only if it's muscle 😉  so I probably should switch to lowest fat milk I can find or do water if cinnamon helps enough with the taste.

Big_R
    Participant

I will have to give the cinnamon a try. I wouldn't mind adding weight, but only if it's muscle 😉  so I probably should switch to lowest fat milk I can find or do water if cinnamon helps enough with the taste.

If you have excessive muscle soreness then you need to skip the milk... whether it taste like shit or not.  This is probably the end result of the milk (or too much bacon post workout /before bed)

CBachelor17

I would just go without milk in the PWO Shake…If your taking a PWO it should be to maximize the effectiveness of your training efforts, not to have a tasty shake. So chug the 8-16oz of w/e your taking and let it be!  ;D

Tracy Jarchow
    Participant

Here is a thought instead of milk. I've used 0.5 cup of coconut milk Aroy-D brand and 0.5 cup of half heavy cream.http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/aroy-d/coconut-milkhttp://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/cream-heavy-fluid?portionid=1136648&portionamount=100.000

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Milk in PWO Shake a problem?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?