Minimalist Training

• This topic has 5 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

zewski

So I know this isn't what's normally asked in these forums, but what is the minimum amount of weight training I can get away with to maintain strength and muscle. The reason I ask is because I'm on CNS, train MMA 5x/week, and I'm not really looking to put on muscle (I'm heavy enough as it is). However, my main advantage in MMA at the moment is my relative strength in striking and grappling. Obviously I'll train on carb nites, but would one full-body session a week be enough? I remember Kiefer mentioning in a podcast that he can hold onto muscle easily with infrequent training, but loses strength quickly...no bueno. Any advice would be appreciated!

random

He trains Ronda Rousey and few other MMA and BJJ guys as well.  Nothing too groundbreaking, but the 2x/week training for MMA seems pretty consistent with what others have written.http://chadwaterbury.com/total-body-training-twice-per-week/

I'd agree that 2x a week is good.You could even get away with the 1x a week HIT method, but it's hard to get to the level of failure required without a training partner to make sure you don't quit.I will say it's once of the most painful and totally exhausting things I've ever done.

dmmethod

I do CNS and do 1 full body blast session a week before my CarbNite and as long as I keep my food intake strong during the week I have really good strength gains and maintain & even build a good bit of muscle mass. It seems like if I hit it super hard once a week that I recover properly my body responds really well. If you want you can check out my log to see what my diet & CarbNites are like. My workout is basically squats, deads, bench, ohp and some accessory work.

thestiffmeister
    Participant

You could get away with once a week if you go full-body with mostly compounds. Maintaining strength really isn't as hard as people make it sound.When I cut to 141 I was lifting 2-3 times a week, about 30 minutes each time and making strength gains on a ridiculous deficit. In fact, if I were you I'd train more often and just keep it much shorter with high intensity. Ditch the accessory work, stick to heavy compounds and you should be mint. Unless it's shortly after a CarbNite, get enough rest between sets. High-volume high-intensity sounds like a bad idea to me on such a diet, unless it's just once a week or something.When cutting any significant amount of weight I tend to drastically reduce cardio, cut on the accessory work, cut on the additional work sets, cut the high-rep sets and rest more. If you feel like your recovery is crap between workouts, do less sets. I also avoid going to failure unless it's right before a carb horror fest.

Tomahawk

If you are doing MMA keep it to 1 or 2 full body workouts a week. Especially if you are doing CNS.

Fairy

I do CNS and do 1 full body blast session a week before my CarbNite and as long as I keep my food intake strong during the week I have really good strength gains and maintain & even build a good bit of muscle mass. It seems like if I hit it super hard once a week that I recover properly my body responds really well. If you want you can check out my log to see what my diet & CarbNites are like. My workout is basically squats, deads, bench, ohp and some accessory work.

Pretty amazing to see gains with that! How long have you been training heavy? Do you do any HIIT?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Minimalist Training

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?