My Bio

• This topic has 4 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

theabnormality
    Keymaster

So here is my life story.I was a fat kid growing up.  Always tall (6'5" now), but fat.  Starting playing football in seventh grade. Played for 8 years including junior college, offensive line, so I always stayed fat. ~350 lbs at my heaviest.Training was never a problem.  My diet was horrible.After I decided to give up football, I knew it was time for a change. Lost ~80 lbs in about a year and a half.  Plateaued.  Stayed at 270 for over two years. Starting playing rugby (greatest sport ever). Decided to really "clean" up my diet.  I'm now ~235 lbs.How I discovered DH: I currently have a subscription to Men's Fitness (I'm about to cancelled it, this is all the info I need).  I read an article written by Kiefer a few months back, pretty much blew it off.  Then for some reason I went back to it about a month ago.  That led me to DH and have been reading it non-stop ever since.I'm now a biostatistician, working for a research hospital, so I love all of the medical research presented here.Just started Carb Nite today and Shockwave.  I'm around 13% BF.  Expecting great results.Now I play sevens rugby during the summer and becoming a S.H.I.T. year-round.  P.S. I live in Mississippi, the mecca for all things obese.

Richard Schmitt

Welcome!

ffemtmcd

Wecome – 13% and your on carb nite?  Interested to see the results you get.BTW - not questioning your choice of programs - just looking forward to see how it works for you

theabnormality

Wecome - 13% and your on carb nite?  Interested to see the results you get.BTW - not questioning your choice of programs - just looking forward to see how it works for you

The plan is to stay with Carb Nite for 8 weeks.  I will definitely post results.

Welcome on man

sckiely
    Participant

Welcome. I do haves question if you don't mind. In your story you mentioned playing football at quite a heavy bodyweight? How was your fitness during this? I only ask from an analytical point of view as I train rugby players here in Australia and a lot of them want to maintain size but be game fit.I have quite a few players now that weigh 120+kg that outperform many of their smaller team mates. So I am curious about how gridiron works and the necessary fitness involved in various positions. Gridiron is a baby sport here but we have a few local teams now and they have asked that I assist them with training? So I am just gathering information to provide the most useful service to them!

theabnormality

Welcome. I do haves question if you don't mind. In your story you mentioned playing football at quite a heavy bodyweight? How was your fitness during this? I only ask from an analytical point of view as I train rugby players here in Australia and a lot of them want to maintain size but be game fit.I have quite a few players now that weigh 120+kg that outperform many of their smaller team mates. So I am curious about how gridiron works and the necessary fitness involved in various positions. Gridiron is a baby sport here but we have a few local teams now and they have asked that I assist them with training? So I am just gathering information to provide the most useful service to them!

As a general rule for an entire team, I think that training for football and training for rugby should be very similar. Although the amounts vary by position, power and speed are both crucial.  However, rugby is a continuous sport.  I think an average football play is 5-8 seconds, with 30-40 seconds of rest after.  So football players don't necessarily have to have the same level of conditioning as rugby players, but it wouldn't hurt.As far as a more personalized routine, it depends on the position.  For example, offensive and defensive linemen (similar to props) rarely have to run more than 10 meters in a play, so their focus should be on power.  Wide receivers and defensive backs (similar to wingers) need speed.  Running backs and linebackers (similar to flankers and centers) need both.  And quarterback (similar to scrumhalf) is its own breed of special, very personalized.  Great agility is required at all positions. Hope this helps.

sckiely
    Participant

Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

My Bio

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?