My poor poor squat

• This topic has 8 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

zewski

So this is just a general questionMy recent best dead is 330x5 while my best squat in recent memory is 220x5 for two sets (and this was the day after a carb nite). Is this vast difference in my dead:squat due to a technical error or can my quads simply be that weak? I'm thinking it's more of a technique issue since I'm very strong on leg press (although I don't consider that a test of strength)I'm 5'7 and have always had a thick/strong lower body (although my squat doesn't reflect that) so it's not limb/trunk length that is the issue either.

samorost

I´d say if you post videos of your squat and dead it would make things clearer.

zewski

AdamFiddler

In my totally beginner opinion, it looks a lot like you've got some power leaks on the way up.  I don't know anywhere near enough to say what is causing the following, but here's my take:  You look a bit like the bar is kind of getting out over your feet a tad and then you're using a hip drive to compensate for it if that makes sense.  You look you're getting a bit out on your toes instead of driving back through your heels.  I'm guessing that when the weights get heavy your squats turn into hybrid good-mornings.  One thing that helps to engage the lats and back while you're sitting back into your squat and might help this would be to not only white-knuckle the bar, but actually pull the bar down very intensely across your traps (as if you were doing a lat machine) for the duration of the squat.  Good squat form is good squat form because it's the body position that lets you keep the bar in the center of your feet at all times, any deviation from this creates a moment arm that you don't want (think about the bar becoming a lever that kind of cranks on your neck if it gets out in front).  Regardless of how you want to squat (low bar vs high bar, powerlifting width Oly width etc), the idea of the moment arm is just basic principles of physics, and so there shouldn't really be any debate from anybody there.  As for form itself (how exactly you achieve the most efficient bar path), I was taught by the EliteFTS vids I watched and a few other reputable sources to squat with your head up about 30 degrees; it helps keep your chest up and arch hard in your lower back to avoid getting leveraged by the bar and creating this moment arm I'm talking about when the weight get heavy.Just some kind of hodge-podge thoughts.  GL,Adam

RagE

http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-squat-parts-1-5/ My squat sucks too. Its the same as my bench! The "so you think you can squat" series helped me quite a bit. Much of my problem is sitting back, and activating my hips. Louie simmons videos, and box squats helped me with that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9BXhlYbsYA

pshannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbPo-EX_5oBOOM! have the same problem and this helped a lot!

maxwkw

Since your hips are rising first I might try squatting to a box for a little while. Pause briefly then explode up leading with your chest. If you can get this right it very well may help your squat.

Damon Amato
    Participant

– knees look like they are too far forward in front of toes (although a bit hard to see on the video)- look 45 degrees up, looks like you're looking straight ahead or down which is causing you upper back to not be as straight as it should be, which in turn is making you almost good morning the weight up.- first move should be to scoot your butt back, not bend at the knees.- put a band in between your knees, they're moving inward at the bottom of the movement.  Need to think about pushing them out, as well as pushing the outside of your feet out.That's all I got.  I appreciate the music in the video.  Hard to really be able to tell without being there looking from each angle.

zewski

Interesting…I thought my quads were weak which lead to my forward tilt. I also thought that box squats would only make it worse since I felt it worked the hamstrings a bit more. However, back when I played higschool football I hit 405 on a box squat, and we did box squats almost exclusively (granted i was also a fat bastard back then  :P)Looks like I gotta start box-squatting again.  Thanks everyone!

sckiely
    Participant

Learn how to pull yorself down, rather than dropping down. This move involves the hip flexors. Engae these to go down and you will generate morepower for the way up. Simple drill:-lay on the floor with your feet raised.have friend hold your toes in what is roughly your squat stance.now try to pull knees to chest whilst partner resists you by holding flexed feet.You should feel the hip flexors at the front of your hip crease activate.Do this a few times then try to squat straight away.The squat is not only about going up, control and power on the way down will lead to vast improvements overall.

zewski

You get that drill from Pavel?Gotta love these forums man, all great responses. Thanks again!

sckiely
    Participant

Actually, one of his head coaches that came to Australia for my Dragondoor certifications. Dave Whitley.I had read about it before but until he demonstrated it I didn't really get it. Has helped my squat go from 160kg to 210kg.

DMD

Drop the weight UTUBE UTUBE UTUBE …. no offense , but go lighter and master technique then move up - get the tecnique correct ... think of sitting on the couch ... put your calves against your couch feet slightly wider than shoulder width  and sit down with your butt out and calves staying against couch .. repeat .. Seriously go lighter and master the technique

didn't read the comments above, but you gotta keep your midsection tighter. your upper back tighter and lats too. just a 2 second observation

zewski

Drop the weight UTUBE UTUBE UTUBE

Not quite sure what that means haha. I agree I need to work on my technique (prob why I made the thread no?  ;))

didn't read the comments above, but you gotta keep your midsection tighter. your upper back tighter and lats too. just a 2 second observation

When you say keep the midsection tight, do you mean flex the abs? I always thought you want a belly full of air while squatting, or is that only when using a belt?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

My poor poor squat

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?