My pre-workout meal

• This topic has 7 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Cropsy

Happy Sunday!Just wondering if anyone would care to offer thoughts on my typical pre-workout meal of late (usually 2 - 3 hrs before training)...2 eggs fried in butter with 2 slices of grilled, smoked back bacon, a couple handfuls of mushrooms, occasionally 1 spring onion, a lot of spinach or kale (depending on whichever I happened to buy) with a tsp or two of heavy cream, and 1 - 2 medium tomatoes, with coffee.On days I don't bother with a pre-workout meal at all because I get bogged down with work etc I usually take two scoops Leucine in place of meal. Strangely, I find my energy better on these sessions. Any thoughts? Do I need to allow more time for food to digest on the days I go for the meal?Thanks.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Happy Sunday!Just wondering if anyone would care to offer thoughts on my typical pre-workout meal of late (usually 2 - 3 hrs before training)...2 eggs fried in butter with 2 slices of grilled, smoked back bacon, a couple handfuls of mushrooms, occasionally 1 spring onion, a lot of spinach or kale (depending on whichever I happened to buy) with a tsp or two of heavy cream, and 1 - 2 medium tomatoes, with coffee.On days I don't bother with a pre-workout meal at all because I get bogged down with work etc I usually take two scoops Leucine in place of meal. Strangely, I find my energy better on these sessions. Any thoughts? Do I need to allow more time for food to digest on the days I go for the meal?Thanks.

wtf?  What benefit do you think you're getting from this?

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

On days I don't bother with a pre-workout meal at all because I get bogged down with work etc I usually take two scoops Leucine in place of meal.

All this is doing is spiking your insulin...

Cropsy

I understood that ingesting 5 – 10g BCAAs pre-workout was a good idea. Well, good to know that's not so good. How about the meal?

Kevin Creel

Not quite sure what's wrong with the meal and don't understand why others don't like it. I do agree that the BCAA's should be delayed until PWO.  In posts we named the 200 pounder club, a few of us had a discussion recently about our 1st meals, and they were much larger than this.  I also remember Naomi stating in a post somewhere that most people have a “large lunch” a few hours before training.  I know for me, I could never get in enough calories in the day (especially protein and fat) if I didn't have a large lunch.  I wake between 6 and 7 am, coffee with MCT's in the a.m. and then a large lunch at around 1230.  Workout is 3:30 pm.  Just curious what the others who don't like the meal do for their daytime meal. 

Cropsy

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your answer to my query. Have a good one.

IOWA.PharmD

I think people are OK with the meal, just not the BCAA before the workout.You may have misunderstood.

Cropsy

Thanks for your input Iowa, but I didn't misunderstand; I just appreciated Kevin's helpful response.

IOWA.PharmD

I meant Kevin misunderstood. Anyway, I think everyone is on the same page.

Cropsy

My bad, sorry. Yep, all good.

Naomi Most

I understood that ingesting 5 - 10g BCAAs pre-workout was a good idea. Well, good to know that's not so good.

That's definitely not Kiefer's advice...

How about the meal?

Looks wonderful, really.  The "full English" minus the carbs (or "full Irish", as the bar down the street would insist) makes a great ultra-low-carb meal.When you don't have time for a full meal, try things like eating straight avocado, a few pieces of salami, some string cheese, stuff like that.  Anything high in fat should work wonders in staving off appetite and keeping your energy levels good.

Cropsy

Thanks Naomi. I understand Kiefer never advocated the BCAAs pre-workout. I have been combining, if you will, Martin Berkhan's Leangains protocol with CBL, and I must say I've had very promising results so far, dropping body fat and adding strength week by week. Berkhan recommends 10g BCAAs about 15 mins prior to fasted training, so I have utilised that on those days when I just haven't had time to eat. As I said, my energy actually seems better on those sessions, but I still prefer to get a whole meal in a couple hours before my workouts. Thanks again.

IOWA.PharmD

Cropsy,I'm interested in trying LG w/ incorporating CBL ...kind of....a hybrid....maybe. Any pointers?

Cropsy

Yeah sure, I hit on Berkhan's site first and I'd been down the road of the whole 6 meals a day thing for about a year or more and was finding it draining. So, his site was a breath of fresh air. I use his 16/8 fasting window as a basis for backloading (some days naturally I go a little over the 16 hours, some days under) and usually break the fast around noon or one, then train about 4 or 4:30 and backload carbs afterward. He also recommends to up the fats on non training days and back off the carbs, so the two work hand in hand pretty well I think. But he does recommend the fasted training with BCAAs...I use the reverse pyramid training approach he talks about on the site too and find it works well.

IOWA.PharmD

Cool. I find them relatively similar too ( except for 1) BCAAs 2) having oil/whipping cream in coffee prior to “breaking the fast”). I've been following the 16/8 pretty closely for 4-5 days and it's pretty easy. I haven't been counting my macros at all (except carbs). I'm kind of doing CNS with LG and I guess we'll see how it takes me. My schedule lines up with yours to the T so we'll see how it works out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

My pre-workout meal

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?