My pre-workout meal

• This topic has 7 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Thanks Naomi. I understand Kiefer never advocated the BCAAs pre-workout. I have been combining, if you will, Martin Berkhan's Leangains protocol with CBL, and I must say I've had very promising results so far, dropping body fat and adding strength week by week. Berkhan recommends 10g BCAAs about 15 mins prior to fasted training, so I have utilised that on those days when I just haven't had time to eat. As I said, my energy actually seems better on those sessions, but I still prefer to get a whole meal in a couple hours before my workouts. Thanks again.

Hi Cropsy,I actually used leangains for a couple years before I found Kiefer's articles on carb backloading and I started toying with it.  Leangains was great for me and it solved that damn 6 meals a day issue I had (it gets in the way and I was not hungry to begin with and 6 meals made me hungrier!).  I benefitted much from it. I workout fasted ALL the time. I got leaner and stronger! It's very natural for me.  I really like it and have no energy problems during the workout (which starts usually any time between 4 to 8 pm) .  After the workout I am not hungry per se, in fact I feel quite jacked, BUT the thought of eating becomes pleasurable and I FEAST. I go to bed full and satisfied.Naomi alluded to IF as not inducing muscle loss but could happen especially if not eating 12+ hours (though I am sure everyone is different).  My IF sometimes goes to 18, 20 hours on some days when Im quite busy and my workouts are later. I did not lose muscle and in fact gained about 8 lbs lean muscle on the program.  HOWEVER, I take Martin's recommendation of 10 grams of BCAAs 5 - 15 mins prior to working out.  As it will provoke an insulin response, this breaks your fast. Martin also says you can take 10g of Whey protein if you don't have any BCAAs.  I've done that too.  Martin's rationale for this is for muscle sparing during the workout as insulin prevents the break down of muscle tissue. Martin does not recommend going more than 16 hours fasting for men and for ladies not more than 12 or 14 hours. I am having even better success with CBL.  I am in a sort of hybrid leangains/CBL-SA/CBL-DA/CNS program.  Yes, I do customize programs to suit what works for my body. I'm slowly mixing it up, controlling variables and being patient with results. I find that the principles that worked with leangains are the same ones that work with CBL, and even better in CBL. Martin's site is free but you have to read a lot and comb through it to get the benefits.  However, he has no Forum, no book, and no Naomi.  Kiefer should thank the gods for Naomi (no I don't get any points for saying that). These added pluses makes me a convert as I regularly tune in to what you all are posting though I may respond to only a few.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

I found validation of the above on the CBL book.SEE page 132-135 of the CBL:The way I read the above Martin Berkhan is more conservative in suggesting 10 g BCAAs right before training.  Keifer goes beyond that by specifying leucine as the BCAA of choice and suggests to add the casein hydrolysate. That is why CBL is IF evolved. It takes all the leangains stuff and takes it to the next level.

Naomi Most

Martin's site is free but you have to read a lot and comb through it to get the benefits.  However, he has no Forum, no book, and no Naomi.  Kiefer should thank the gods for Naomi (no I don't get any points for saying that). These added pluses makes me a convert as I regularly tune in to what you all are posting though I may respond to only a few.

Thank you, that's intensely motivating.  We're putting together SO MUCH for you guys right now behind the scenes, and it does take a lot of work to manage the forums, so it's nice to know that the effort are appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

My pre-workout meal

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?