need some reassurement…

• This topic has 4 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

stef
    Participant

hey everyonei've been doing cn since beginning of april 2013.been following the forum nearly every day but never posted so far. thank you all for being a real support during the last 6 months!i am a little frustrated since it seems like I don't make a lot of progress... could you please have a look at my pics and tell me if i'm on the right track?(how do i insert pix in the text???)i am 165cm (8'4) and 64kg (141).my weight didn't move. i took measurements but they move soo very slowly if at all. my waist went from 86 cm (33.46 inches) to 83 cm (32.67 inches).my ulc days are around 1500cal, the first couple of months i did more or less 1:1 fat:protein. since maybe 6 weeks i eat more fat (around 130) and less protein (40-70). carbs are between 15 an 30. I do eat dairy (tried to skip but that felt too much like dieting and i was afraid of binge-attacks). i usually fast until lunch (coffee with 1tbs ghee and 1tbs co in the morning, followed by 3g nicotine). lunch is veggies with prosciutto or cheese or tuna or beef. in the afternoon i have a coconut pudding (2 tbsp coconut flour, 1 egg, teaspoon of ghee, sucralose drops)dinner is veggies (salad/broccoli/mushrooms/sprouts/paprica/spinach/eggplant) and protein (salmon/beef/cheese)before-bed snack is creamed coconut (luv it!) or another coconut pudding.if i get hungry during the day i snack on nuts.cn used to bee around 3500cal. recently i started doing cleaner cn with around 2500-3000cal (300-400c, 40f, 80p)excercise: i do hiit or 1hour on a bike the day after cn to deplete. i also lift 2/week or do body-weight excercise at home (tabata style). in general i exercise every other day. i had an accident 9 weeks ago and can only do legs and abs at the momentĀ  šŸ™i know there are so many ways to tweak and i don't know where to start...i need some reassurement - i love my new way of eating but i really want to lose my stubborn fat around my belly. i used to be 54kg/119pounds ever since my early twenties. two years ago i lived in hawaii for 0.5 years and gained 10kg/22p. i tried everything: calory restriction (1200cal a day), IF (fasted every other day), excercised 5 times a week (cardio 2 times, lifting 3 times) and so on. i got to a point where i was on the edge of a serious eating disorder (bulimia).Ā  i don't know if my weight gain/failure in weigt loss also has a emotional component. it's just so frustratingĀ  šŸ™stef

Brian M Eckstrom
    Participant

i had your same problem for about two months for the same reason and once i fixed it about 2 weeks ago, i've seen daily progress! from reading this, the main issue that jumps out at me is the 1:1 fat to protein ratio. on CarbNite, that 1:1 ratio is speaking calorically, so it actually ends up being around half a gram of fat per gram of protein. i was eating 200+ grams of fat a day and wondering “why the heck isn't this working”? i wasn't gaining weight, i just was losing it at an extremely slow rate; however, i think by doing so i made my body a fat-burning furnace meaning that once i fixed my fat intake it has been scorching through my body fat. my thinking is that pushing that much fat into your system makes your body extremely good at burning fat because it does not want to store it, but, it can never get to a point where its going to burn body fat if there's too much dietary fat. thats just my two cents and i dont have a study to quote, its purely conjecture. another small thing to consider, that .5g:1g fat to protein ratio is based on your target weight. that's where you're going to want to start and then adjust from there. so if you're 141 right now, and i noticed your personal text said 22lbs to shed, you're going to start that ratio based off 120lbs. no less than 60g fat per day, and no reason to go more than 120 protein a day. yes, you're going to be hungry for a few days, and if you're using a tracker like myfitnesspal or something to count your macros, you're going to see that you're in a pretty big energy deficit. do not be alarmed. you will hopefully make up for some of that deficit on your actual CarbNite and your weekly average energy intake will be brought up. i wouldnt necessarily put a calorie limit on your CN either, if only for that reason. hope this is helpful and anybody else feel free to jump in!

samuel r walker
    Participant

Deff some noticeable progress here.. Your legs are looking more trim and muscular and your mid section is slimmer! If i may suggest to try and take progress photos in the same spot and lighting, as shadows can cause discrepancies in appearance.

TCB
    Participant

There definitely is some progress as Sammy said.. But, and to be blunt, not as much as I'd expect for 6mosĀ  on CNS. That's my “bad news.”My "good news" is that it looks like there is some significant progress between your last two pictures. Moreso than the others, I think. So I think you may actually be on the right path, now.As Youngdeucey mentioned, the starting point for CNS is .5g:1g fat:protein based off your goal weight. HOWEVER... a lot of people are finding that their body responds much better to a flipped ratio. (Higher fat than protein, as you're currently doing.) I would continue with that, keeping protein on the higher end of your scale listed (closer to the 70g than the 40g) and fat, like you have it, around 130g. I would also second the idea that you don't want to calorically limit your CN itself. That is the time where you're making up for being in a detrimental deficit.. So with that, I would say try to get your normal ULC macros even on your actual CN. So still shoot for the 70g pro, 130g fat, PLUS the carbs. The only caveat being that you should try to get the bulk of your fat BEFORE your CN time begins. So if you begin CN at 3pm, I'd try to have about 80-100g fat in before then.. Then in your CN, have your early meals be lower fat, and when you get to your last meal or two, you can include a little more fat if you like.The italicized above may be controversial, because of the elevation in FFA's and such when you start ingesting carbs, but it's something I'd give a try to, personally. Conversely, you could also up the protein and do lower fat for the day. So take protein up to like 100-120g and keep fat at like 70g for the day.. Different things to try. Maybe others will chime in on it.And lastly.. this is something nobody ever mentions in these types of posts. How are you sleeping? Quality and quantity? It makes a difference. A huge one.Good luck, Stef!

stef
    Participant

Thank you guys!it's so hard to judge your own picsyoungdeucey if i ate that way i would get only like 1000kcal a day - that is definitely not enough, i wouln't make it through the day :). i did play around with the fat:protein ratio for a while and i feel like now that i cut the protein, things finally start moving. it's just a feeling, don't have proof yet. if not, i will giveĀ  0.5:1 a go.tcb my sleep quality is poor in general, i even had my boyfriend move out of our bedroom so i can leave the windows open and don't wake up every time he moves. i usually go to sleep around 10.30 pm and get up around 6.30, so i would be able to get 8 hours of sleep. usually i struggle with falling asleep and wake up at least once a night, so i feel k.o. in the morning.i have these two voices in my head: on telling me that i have to restrict calories and try to eat lessthe other one is anxious about maybe not eating enough. i do track calories maybe every other day and usually end up at 1500 a day. my cn ends up around 2500 to 3000 since i keep it cleaner (mostly sticky rice with coconut milk, white bread, jogurt, sometimes pasta, some cake, bananas).

TCB
    Participant

Thank you guys!it's so hard to judge your own picsyoungdeucey if i ate that way i would get only like 1000kcal a day - that is definitely not enough, i wouln't make it through the day :). i did play around with the fat:protein ratio for a while and i feel like now that i cut the protein, things finally start moving. it's just a feeling, don't have proof yet. if not, i will giveĀ  0.5:1 a go.tcb my sleep quality is poor in general, i even had my boyfriend move out of our bedroom so i can leave the windows open and don't wake up every time he moves. i usually go to sleep around 10.30 pm and get up around 6.30, so i would be able to get 8 hours of sleep. usually i struggle with falling asleep and wake up at least once a night, so i feel k.o. in the morning.i have these two voices in my head: on telling me that i have to restrict calories and try to eat lessthe other one is anxious about maybe not eating enough. i do track calories maybe every other day and usually end up at 1500 a day. my cn ends up around 2500 to 3000 since i keep it cleaner (mostly sticky rice with coconut milk, white bread, jogurt, sometimes pasta, some cake, bananas).

I think you do have proof. Your last two pictures there is a change, for sure. Keep going how you are, maybe try some of the things I said, especially in regards to your CN. Also, do you supplement with magnesium? If not, try it. It's pretty cheap, and can help with getting to sleep. I usually put ~1/4tsp in a mug of sleepytime tea about 30-60 mins before bed and it does a good job. (There a bazillion types of magnesium, I just use magnesium citrate. A $9 jar of the powder lasts me months and months. You could also try a product called "Natural Calm," which is essentially the same thing.)

Brian M Eckstrom
    Participant

I think you do have proof. Your last two pictures there is a change, for sure. Keep going how you are, maybe try some of the things I said, especially in regards to your CN. Also, do you supplement with magnesium? If not, try it. It's pretty cheap, and can help with getting to sleep. I usually put ~1/4tsp in a mug of sleepytime tea about 30-60 mins before bed and it does a good job. (There a bazillion types of magnesium, I just use magnesium citrate. A $9 jar of the powder lasts me months and months. You could also try a product called "Natural Calm," which is essentially the same thing.)

i'm not trying to go against anything TCB is saying, but in response to your statement about being at only 1500cal/day, i'm around 200lbs and eat about 1700-1800 now that i fixed my ratios. and i agree that there's definitely change in your pictures!

samuel r walker
    Participant

Your boyfriends a good sport.. lol

randyleahy

Keep doing what you are doing, there is alot of improvement between the last 2 pics. Do not focus on the scale, keep updating this thread with weekly pics. My opinion is stick with high fat and moderate protein and give it a chance to work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

need some reassurement…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?