New guy on CBL

• This topic has 4 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

stumprrp

Hey guys,Just started/purchased CBL.  I'm on my second day of the carbless 10 day phase.  Little background i'm a 22 yr old powerlifter who wants to get rid of unnecessary fat and still maintain or gain strength.  The non-stop sweating, wheezing, and impossibility to find pants is sickening.  Ive struggled in the past with cutting and keeping my weights up and this diet seems to be it for me.  My starting numbers were 250 lbs and 41" waist.  I'm not sure of my body fat but id estimate around 20-25%.  I have a contest in march and id like to break my old 242 WR's that were already broken.  Competing at fatass 250-260 is not a lifestyle i want to follow.SO... day 2 into the prep phase and i have to say the hunger is pretty incredible.  Eating at 10-11 instead of 7-8 is also quite difficult.  I'm out of it during the day also.My question to you guys is did anyone else stuggle during this phase?Second question is once i get my total weight lost in those 10 days, which i know will be high, will i really need to take in 4-800 carbs after my workout? thats freakin insane!!!Good to be a part of the board.-Rob

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

About hunger: eat! and be sure to drown everything in fat 😛 The first couple of days are always the worst for me – the sugar cravings are not fun. Much of what you experience as hunger may just be the sugar addiction. That can be helped a bit with drinking green tea and coffee (which you should be doing anyway), and eating when you're hungry. A big part of the prep phase is getting to know your body. You can get a sense of what is actual hunger and what is just boredom. 😛 With your BW (and I'm guessing you have a decent amount of muscle), I'm guessing you'll end up around 1200-1500g carbs. Just a small part of it will be in your PWO shake though, and since you're going to be eating junk its not THAT hard to get in carbs. 🙂 I started at 205 and lost 11lbs. The numbers in the delta chart is your max, and you don't need to worry too much if you don't get close.

stumprrp

Thanks for the fast response.  I'm probably not eating enough, but im still eating every 1-2 hours.  I drink a shit load of coffee to begin with.  Ive never really been a huge sweets eater i think the hunger is legit hunger haha.  I will bump the food intake up more tomorrow.  Maybe have a 6 egg omelette with double bacon and cheese instead of 3 like today haha.

stephenhdmrs

If it helps to, I did bacon at night before bed.  That helped with morning hunger a bit.

stumprrp

Ive been eating bacon twice a day, in my omelette and with my dinner.  Last night i went to go to sleep around 11 after having a small shake of 25g whey 10g coconut oil and 1 tbsp cream (damn good!).  I had to get up at 1130 because i was so hungry.  Had another 1/4 cup cottage cheese and hit the sack.I dont mean to sound bitchy its just protein + fats do not fill me what so ever lol.Here was my diet yesterday, maybe you guys can shed some lightwake at 6:457:30 10g whey + 10g coco oil + fish oil8:30 large coffee w/ cream11:00 3 egg w/ bacon, chedder, broccoli, tomatoes + 30g whey1:00 8-10oz gyro meat with "tabooli" and cucumbers, lettuce as well3:00 1/4 cup cottage cheese with handful of almonts, 30g whey5:30 10oz chicken with 1 cup spinach in olive oil, 2 tbps natty PB8:30 3 cheese sticks11:00 same shake as the morning with 25g protein +11:30 1/4 cup cottage cheeseToday will be nearly the same excpet i brought lunch, i plan on having more coffee too.

stumprrp

Day 4, still blows! today im doubling the amount of meat in my lunch and adding a larger pre-bed meal.  I cant stand going to bed starving.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Try adding more fat! I find that helps a lot more than more protein. Too much protein will just get converted into glucose anyway. You're supposed to eat at least 50/50 fat/protein, but theres no harm in eating more fat. In fact, since you're trying to force your body to use fat as fuel in stead of carbs, more fat may accelerate the process.Is this your first encounter with ultralow-carb?

stumprrp

Sort of my first time, any other time i tried it i folded after 2 days.  I wouldnt mind adding more peanut butter and stuff but the carbs will end up going too high.  Also the book always mentions low fat cottage cheese but i bought full fat.  I guess ill start snacking on cheese slices/sticks during the day too.  I wish the book had more stuff on the prep phase.  I dont think im at 50/50 probably more like 65/35.

Jonathan3

I find avocados & brazil nuts to be a pretty good source of fat if that helps.Avocsdo's aren't for everyone though, it's like eating soap apparently.

stumprrp

I love me some guacamole, but i gotta get a working food processor first.

CRNA_CBL

Nah, take a knife and cut it into smaller pieces then take a fork and mash it. Add in sea salt and lime juice to taste. Go EASY on the lime, a little goes a long way.

tww0711

Stump,I have been experimenting with CBL since the middle of last year and I am finally getting a good enough grasp to fluctuate my weight/BF at will....it takes some time to learn your body and how it is affected by your training/foods, just don't get discouraged.  As for the hunger pains I have found that if I wake up with so psyllium husk and coffee I can curb the hunger pretty well, also as you go on it gets easier, I think Keifer makes a reference in the book but it is like the more you ignore the hunger the less sensitive you become to ghrelin in the morning.  Also I agree with Draugluir in regards to fat and appetite.....FYI I have found sausage to be pretty awesome, as it helps to get some delicious food in and contains a good amount of fat.  When I start using more cheese and nuts for snacks I am able to curb my appetite for longer.  As far as the cottage cheese I eat the full fat and have not see any negative sides as of yet. 

Newfiedan
    Participant

We are the same height stumprrp. I am currently at a 33″ waistline and working on a 6 pack I want to increase my strength, shave to a very lean frame and then add more muscle. So we have slightly different goals but at a 41″ waist you are going to be slightly higher bodyfat. I was probably at that back when I first started to shed fat and it has been a pretty long process for me to get to this point although this is the first diet where I managed to increase strength and shed fat. My muscle mass was probably a lot less than what your current mass is though at the start of things. Either way though bro the first 3 days definitely sucked but definitely add more fat, eggs, cheese, unsalted butter, bacon, avocados, whipping cream, coconut oil, flax seed, etc. I found that when adding more fat it satiated the hunger and helped me a lot to get through it. Protein was at 1 gram//lb bodyweight and fat matched that and now runs slightly higher than that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New guy on CBL

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?