New Guy reporting for duty

• This topic has 6 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

MarkDee
    Keymaster

Greetings, all.I'm 55 years old, currently 225lbs at 5'10".Too FAT, although down 40 lbs from my high of last year.A recent BodPod shows me heading in the wrong direction with regard to BodyFat:  currently at 32.5%SheeshNearly one third fat...I've been looking into carb-manipulating diets for a bit and like the scientific emphasis here.Boards and members seem friendly so I'm jumping in.'Charts' all say I need to lose another 30, maybe 40 or more pounds.I'll be giving this a go.I like to lift so I'll be in the gym 3-4 days a week.Recent workouts:BENCH (yesterday)6X6 incline at 105lbs6X6 flat bench at 135lbsThese were all 'full pause at the chest' reps.In the last 12 months I hit a 2RM of 205 although I've been out of the gym for a while so I'm calculating a 1RM at the moment of ~165...I haven't been too concerned about the weight while I work back into my routines. Focused more on technique and working on my 'perfect rep' at the moment.SQUAT (Monday)Worked up to a double at 225lbs.Recent high volume set was 8X8 @ 125.DEADLIFT (last week)Currently not pushing beyond singles @ 255lbs.Last working set was 4X3 @ 195.In the last 12 months, I've hit 295 in the squat and 305 for my DL.I'd like to get back there, but am willing to take my time and do whatever it takes to avoid injury.I eat pretty 'clean' but it is definitely time to quit deluding myself -- I still need to lose a ton of weight! While I intend to track down a copy of CarbNite, I'm committing to a 10-day intro and will give the Strength Accumulation side of CBL a try.Thus, I'm reporting for duty.

robhally

Glad to have you here man! You'll do great on CBL or CNS whichever way you go. Congrats on the weight loss so far and good luck!

Richard Schmitt

Welcome to DH sir! If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to ask, we do support each other here, and try our best to help each other reach their goals! Great work for the most part!!

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Right On Mark!  You are where I was a year ago.  I went about it wrong and dropped to 180 with calorie restriction only, which by BodPod, put me still at 25% BF.I then started CarbNite Solution.  Last Friday I was 15% BF at 168(5'10").  I have gained about 0.25 lbs of muscle per week on CNS, on average, while losing the fat.I will be switching to backloading soon to try to recover some of the muscle I lost without gaining any fat.It works, I'm proof 🙂

Damon Amato
    Participant

Jeremy,before/after pics?

MarkDee

Hey fellas.Thanks for the welcome.(I support the idea of Jeremy's before and after shots...)Since I'm just getting my feet wet here, and have a lot of reading to do(both on the forums and in the articles, as well as last night's CBL download)I'll provide a little more background on my gym experience before I head off for today's workout.Over the last 24 months, most of my experience is from:- a six-month Lean Eating program at PrecisionNutrition.com (1st half/2010)- several successful waves of Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 for strength (1st half/2011)- lots of time with Stephen Korte's 3X3 program, as spelled out HERE at DeepSquatter.com.There's been some injury time:- a slight tear on one bicipital tendon- a fairly good strain through my deep abdominals / left psoasI love the volume work, boring to some but I found it challenging.Now I'm looking to streamline my gym time a bit, since life IS busy and I do like to practice yoga in a studio near-daily.  I haven't had time to read the Shockwave material yet (and it looks like I missed the opportunity to download Kiefer's e-pamphlet)but I'm heading off to the gym soon so I'm going to play with everything I've seenin Thib's article on 'The Perfect Rep.'  I like the sound of the approach.I'll try to provide a little more data on my nutritional knowledge/background tomorrow.After looking through my proteins and supplement cabinet today, I'm looking forwardto simplifying a bit of the 'kitchen alchemy' which I've made WAY too complicated of late...I found pure leucine today.That's a start.I'll start posting my daily intakes for some accountability, but so far today I feel pretty good for virtually NO carbs.  We'll see how I make it post-workout and through the night!/ thanks again !

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Mayyybbbeeeee.....................

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Mayyybbbeeeee.....................

So yeah, I put those pics up in the results section in the thread I had started for BodPod results.

Naomi Most

Greetings, all.I'm 55 years old, currently 225lbs at 5'10".Too FAT, although down 40 lbs from my high of last year.A recent BodPod shows me heading in the wrong direction with regard to BodyFat:  currently at 32.5%

Hi Mark!You're not alone -- this lady right here found she was almost 30% bodyfat at age 27, with no clue how she got there -- despite having lost weight by running in the gym.I didn't LOOK fat. Nobody even believed me when I said so. But I was definitely "skinny fat", and I got there by eating nothing but fruit all day, having a desk job, and doing "cardio".  It really creeps up on you.After I had a baby last year I FINALLY got it together using Carb Nite, and lately Carb Back-Loading, to get down to 19% bodyfat. (pics on my website:  http://postpartumpunk.com -- although sadly none from when I was 27. You could get me anywhere near a bathing suit back then...)Glad you made it here, and hope to hear more from you around the forum.Cheers,Naomi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Guy reporting for duty

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?