New to CBL and wondering about additional supplements

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Francis s Davies
    Participant

Hi i am not eaxctly new to CBL as i have been following Kiefer since January but i was waiting for carb backloading2.0 but as it has now been 8 months i thought i would just go and buy CBL1.0.
    I have noticed in the book Kiefer recommends certain supplements such as creatine and Whey protein isolate. I was wondering however if he has ever spoken about supps such as l-glutamince, bcaa’s and beta alanine. The reason i ask is i am currently doing MI40 from ben pakulski and he states to supplement with the above supps but i dont want to do this if it will sabotage CBL in anyway. Ben says to take L-glutamine and bcaa’s in the morning, pre workout, post workout and before bed. he says to take beta alanine pre and post workout.
    Do you guys think i could follow these recommendations and still get the best out of CBL or should i possibly cut out these supps altogether?
    Will these supps spike insulin in anyway even in small 5g doses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Richard Schmitt

The topic of BCAA’s spiking insulin have been talked about before, and some have mixed views on it. From what I do know because of the Leucine content added, it will give you a spike. Some say it’s so minor it won’t cause issues, well maybe, it just depends. I ran MI40X with CBL, but I followed his macro guidelines, and probably not the best idea. Too much protein, and really not enough carbs for the effects we want with CBL. Glutamine doesn’t seem like a problem, and beta alanine could be beneficial for a pre-workout.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

The topic of BCAA’s spiking insulin have been talked about before, and some have mixed views on it. From what I do know because of the Leucine content added, it will give you a spike. Some say it’s so minor it won’t cause issues, well maybe, it just depends.

Somewhere (and I really wish I could remember where) I read that the insulin spike caused by leucine uses a different pathway than doing so with carbohydrates, and that still allowed one to stay in a “fasted” state. But then again, I don’t even know if it was a credible source or not. At this point, the best way to find out is to give it a try both (with and without) and see if you notice any difference. Another option that has an anti-catabolic property without raising insulin level is HMB, though, I’ve never used it before.
    Beta is fine, I take it, along with betaine. I hear good reviews on glutamine as well, but I have no experience with it.

I’d say for now, if you want to follow CBL, then follow CBL as it’s written.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Francis s Davies
    Participant

Thanks for the reply guys.. I will stick to CBL protocol for now then and see how I get on before I start experimenting with different things..
    just want to say thanks again as I seem to learn more and more on these forums than I did reading the book 🙈

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New to CBL and wondering about additional supplements

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?