New to CBL, Not to Weightlifting

• This topic has 5 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Freya
    Keymaster

Hi all  🙂I recently read an article in Flex magazine about CBL  and after reading the scientifics behind it alot of it made sense. However, I am a little bit scared about following it because it is so controversial... Carbs before bedtime?? scary thought.... A little bit about myself...: In 2009 and 2010 I competed in figure bodybuilding and did fairly well, and I know I have potential to do alot better... which is what I want to do in 2013. The problem I got in my last comp was that it took it all out of me and I lost my drive and motivation. I stopped going to the gym and stopped thinking about what my next meal should be. I ate and chilled out... alot. 20 months later and a few pounds heavier I'm getting back on the scene. I've taken up running to get my fitness level up again. in 2 weeks time Im doing my first 10K race. Im back in the gym and I got my drive and focus back again. IT FEELS GOOOOD!!!The motivation is there, the drive is there but so is the fear that I will overdo things again and burn out. I need to get the diet right. I need to get the training right.I believe in a paleolithic approach, but as a bodybuilder I also believe we need carbs. Its scary to think that I should leave all my daily carb needs to evening only... and also being able to digest it all in such a short space of time. I do morning cardio 3-4 times a week (Im usually up between 6-7am).I work until  6pm and get to the gym at 630-7pm earliest... meaning Post WO meals start no earlier than 8pm... in bed by 11 (more likely to crash out at 10pm)... that doesnt give me much time to eat what  I need.... 1:4 ratio P:C means I should eat 25-30g P + over 100g carbs in each meal... its difficult....Any comments would be appreciated.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

100g+ carbs per meal really isn't a huge problem. Just add dextrose/maltodextrin shakes or eat thrashy carbs ( thrash might not be a good option if you want to eat paleo). When you're training that late you could also have 100g+ in your pwo shake.What kind of cardio do you do? Large amounts of cardio is kinda iffy. I would scale that back if I were you, at least after the 10k. Have you read Kiefers articles on running?

Freya

Hi I've bought some Dextrose this week and will implement that to my POW shakes as recommended. I am more concerned when it comes to the first solid meal after work out. I was thinking white rice, potatoes or bananas/any fruit as Post workout food. Its not 100% paleo but its fairly acceptable sources I think.I havent read his book on running. ATM Im running up to 4 times a week anything from 30 min-80min per session. My plan was to cut it down to 30 min per session after the race. Always first thing in the morning on empty stomach.Is this diet one you have to cycle or can you keep it steady all year round?

Damon Amato
    Participant

Steady state cardio is not going to work with this diet. You should come to terms with the running before deciding to do this. That being said, it works without any cardio at all but based on your worry with carbs at night I realize it might be a tough sell until you realize how shredded you can get.

Big_R
    Participant

I also work until 6 amd get done training about 7:30  just a piece of advice i learned reading on the forums.  Ppl like us eating protein/fat can be in ketosis longer than others.  If you have a PWO shake with large amount of dextrose  you might lose your apetite.  If you dont then you are a lucky bastard.  If you havr trouble slamming carbs and encounter this feeling just do Protein ONLY and wait 30/60 minutes so you can clear out the excess ketones.  Just a suggestion….. I had trouble consuming 500g carbs becuz of the pwo shake i made with 120g dextrose

I also work until 6 amd get done training about 7:30  just a piece of advice i learned reading on the forums.  Ppl like us eating protein/fat can be in ketosis longer than others.  If you have a PWO shake with large amount of dextrose  you might lose your apetite.  If you dont then you are a lucky bastard.  If you havr trouble slamming carbs and encounter this feeling just do Protein ONLY and wait 30/60 minutes so you can clear out the excess ketones.  Just a suggestion..... I had trouble consuming 500g carbs becuz of the pwo shake i made with 120g dextrose

+1Adding Luecine to the mixture will help even more.

Freya

I appreciate the comments guys. I sat up to past midnight last night finishing the CBL 1.0.I have committed myself to the 10K race and determined not pulll out. However I can say for a fact that it will not be continued. Im not built for running. It was more a decision I made to get my focus and determination back... it worked 🙂 I believe more in a short HIIT approach, so that wont be a problem.Now I am not sure if I need to wait until after the race before starting the preparation phase or just go for it now.... I worry that the ketones phase will kick in a few days before the race and flatten me... I have a vision that I can do it in less than 60 minutes haha (race is in 12 days time). Im just gonna start today. If it buggers my sub 60min goal so be it.Question... How quickly will benefits (e.g strength, energy, recovery) show after the 10 days prep phase? Maybe if I get 2 days to CBL before the race I might become super fast?Supplementation: How important is the pure form of each ingredient? Im asking cause I already got most of it in my cupboard though not in pure form.Creatine Monohydrate... is that the version to go for? Garnell Nutrition Whey performance... a mix of isolate and concentrate... is that acceptable?Micellar Casein.... Acceptable as protein Hydrolysate? Or do I need to get a different form?Dextrose, caffeine in pure tablet form, BCAA in powder form - all check.I should also have said that I am putting my boyfriend on this regime too. I am looking forward to see the effects on him, since he has always struggled with the excess fat around lower back/waist despite heavy weight training and strict diet (Not a cardio fan at all). I sent him out to work with a large cup of coffee with full fat cream, 2 home made burgers, 200g ready packed chicken, a large salad, some tomatoes and cucumbers, and a paleo bar (Only got nuts and MCT oil in it).Question again: Should I measure his protein and fat intake in this phase?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New to CBL, Not to Weightlifting

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?