New to CNS with some Qs

• This topic has 3 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

AkumaZ

HeyMy name is Jay and I have just recently started to take a look at my diet with serious consideration.  I train for Olympic Weightlifting under Max Aita (BioJacked #3) and my primary motivation is to lean out and get down to a lower weight class for competitions.  I have been competing at 77kg (typically lighter though, sat around 75kg) at probably around 15-17% bodyfat.I'd like to be a lean 70-71kg (probably even doable at 72) which would make it pretty easy to water cut to 69kg for meets with the goal of qualifying for the American Open in November(making the lifts is another story).  Currently I am around 73kg so not far off in those terms.I started to transition into a lower carb diet a few weeks ago before I knew anything about CNS and CBL with a moderate cheat day once a week.However, since I transitioned into this I never underwent a reorientation phase.  So first question is should I go ahead and do this now?  Or has the combination of lifting 5 days/week and spending the last 3 weeks low carb(w/ cheat day) been sufficient for the purposes?Next is whether CNS or CBL is more appropriate for me to follow.  From what I understand CNS is for getting lean while maintaining muscle and CBL is more for maintaining or gaining muscle.  But I have seen examples, such as Jay DeMayo in the book that lost weight, gained muscle, and put numbers on their lifts which seems more my speed.My coach and his wife are both doing CNS right now and Max has suggested I do the same, but I wonder which is the best option.I of course recognize I could simply continue CNS for a month or two and then switch over to CBL, but I spent the last couple of days pouring over Kiefer's books and articles with CBL looking quite intriguing since it applies more to those lifting.Generally speaking, I train beginning around 10-10:30 (though i could dial this back to 10 sharp) to about noon 5 days, sometimes with a supplementary session later in the afternoon (either extra work or scheduled stuff I couldnt fit into the first workout).This leads me to my next question: How would CBL work with multiple training sessions on an infrequent basis?  Generally my main sessions will be in the morning, but occasionally I switch it up and do a lighter session in the morning and a heavy one in the evening.I am a bit unclear as to the nature of the Carb Nite/backloading choices of food.  It seems that its generally "dirty" food that's recommended and it most effective.  Given its efficacy in resulting in lower bf and lower risk of associated diseases (diabetes and Syndrome X) I can see the healthy appeal to this, but is this going to lead to any future health problems?Last question (promise!) how is sodium treated in the context of these diets? Thank

Richard Schmitt

Well first of all welcome! And second I will do my best to help answer your questions.#1. "So first question is should I go ahead and do this now?  Or has the combination of lifting 5 days/week and spending the last 3 weeks low carb(w/ cheat day) been sufficient for the purposes?"- Personally yes I would re-do the Prep-Phase, just so that the body can get use to fueling itself with fats, instead of protein and/or carbs. You could throw in a couple HIIT sessions to speed up the effects of being ULC, and shorten the days by 2-3, but would you rather be safe or sorry?#2. "How would CBL work with multiple training sessions on an infrequent basis?  Generally my main sessions will be in the morning, but occasionally I switch it up and do a lighter session in the morning and a heavy one in the evening." - Alright, so my questiont to you is there a way to have the heavier training session in the evenings and the lighter session in the mornings? If yes, then you're golden, if not then there are some tweaking involved. If you were to train heavy the following morning, you would Backload the night before after a light or heavy session. Only if you are training the next morning. SO say I did a session on Monday, and have a heavy training session Tuesday morning, then I would Backload that Monday night to help fuel my morning's session. I would take a PWO Shake filled with a High-GI Carb, and then go ULC for the rest of the day since I wouldn't train the next day. Is this confusing?#3. "Given its efficacy in resulting in lower bf and lower risk of associated diseases (diabetes and Syndrome X) I can see the healthy appeal to this, but is this going to lead to any future health problems?" - I don't honestly know for sure. That would be a Kiefer or Naomi question/response. Sorry.#4. "Last question (promise!) how is sodium treated in the context of these diets?" - Well you need some sodium to hold in water, especially for training so you don't get dehyradted, but ultimately I try to keep it low and not too high.Hope these answers helped!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

How did you get started in Olympic Weightlifting?  Do you have a background in some other sport?  I'm curious because weightlifting isn't a very mainstream sport in the US.

AkumaZ

Well first of all welcome! And second I will do my best to help answer your questions.#1. "So first question is should I go ahead and do this now?  Or has the combination of lifting 5 days/week and spending the last 3 weeks low carb(w/ cheat day) been sufficient for the purposes?"- Personally yes I would re-do the Prep-Phase, just so that the body can get use to fueling itself with fats, instead of protein and/or carbs. You could throw in a couple HIIT sessions to speed up the effects of being ULC, and shorten the days by 2-3, but would you rather be safe or sorry?#2. "How would CBL work with multiple training sessions on an infrequent basis?  Generally my main sessions will be in the morning, but occasionally I switch it up and do a lighter session in the morning and a heavy one in the evening." - Alright, so my questiont to you is there a way to have the heavier training session in the evenings and the lighter session in the mornings? If yes, then you're golden, if not then there are some tweaking involved. If you were to train heavy the following morning, you would Backload the night before after a light or heavy session. Only if you are training the next morning. SO say I did a session on Monday, and have a heavy training session Tuesday morning, then I would Backload that Monday night to help fuel my morning's session. I would take a PWO Shake filled with a High-GI Carb, and then go ULC for the rest of the day since I wouldn't train the next day. Is this confusing?#3. "Given its efficacy in resulting in lower bf and lower risk of associated diseases (diabetes and Syndrome X) I can see the healthy appeal to this, but is this going to lead to any future health problems?" - I don't honestly know for sure. That would be a Kiefer or Naomi question/response. Sorry.#4. "Last question (promise!) how is sodium treated in the context of these diets?" - Well you need some sodium to hold in water, especially for training so you don't get dehyradted, but ultimately I try to keep it low and not too high.Hope these answers helped!

Very helpful, thank youTo 1, kinda sucks but i'll probably just delay a carb nite by a couple of days up coming.  Two extra days wont be that badTo 2 it varies.  If i am planning ahead of time to do an evening session, its usually going to be heavier regardless.  However, sometimes i'll throw in a fun lighter session a few hours after my main workout.  For example, wednesday I focus on clean and jerk with no snatches planned, but a few hours later i'll snatch up to a daily max at home for fun.

How did you get started in Olympic Weightlifting?  Do you have a background in some other sport?  I'm curious because weightlifting isn't a very mainstream sport in the US.

No background in any thing that led me to Olympic weightlifting.  Played baseball in the early years and took up tennis after high school but nothing serious.I started going to a gym with a couple of my friends in order to play tennis after a lifting session(which had no structure, consisted of a lot of bench press).  Once school picked up, I started researching actual programs, eventually getting to Stronglifts 5x5 (after a short p90x stint).  A few members of the forum over there had posted some CalStrength Vids, when I eventually found out how close that was I decided to call just to find out about pricing.A friend of mine had been training at Catalyst with Greg Everrett for a few months prior to this, their pricing was ridiculous but the guy working the desk at CalStrength put Max on the phone and his pricing was extremely reasonable, so I tried a session and ended up hooked

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New to CNS with some Qs

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?