Newbie Here: Shockwave Questions

• This topic has 3 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

P.J.
    Participant

Hello everyone!  I'm new to this forum and have been carb-backloading for the 4 months that I've been lifting weights.  I've been an avid runner and snowboarder for as long as I can remember, but I'm completely new to the world of weight-lifting, so I don't really have personal experiences with “traditional bodybuilding diets” to compare with how carb-backloading has worked for me.  All I know is that carb-backloading has allowed me to eat a heck of a lot more than I ever have while putting on muscle and not gaining a single % of bodyfat.  The best part about all of this is that progress came pretty much from doing my own thing in the gym without any real guidance, by just following the general principles of “lift heavy until failure.”  I'm really excited to see what kind of results I can get by actually following a program specifically designed to complement carb-backloading.  This brings me to the intended topic of this post.  I think I understand how to perform levels 1 and X(ELECT and Pause-Press), but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what exactly I'm supposed to be doing for level 0(warm-up), level 2(auxiliary movements), and especially level U(DUP  ???)  I work out Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri and usually split my workout between chest and legs on 2 of those days and shoulders and back during the other 2. So from what I understand, on a chest/legs day, I would do ELECT and and Pause-Press for bench, incline bench, fly's(?), and squats.  What would levels 0, 2, and U look like that day though?  For shoulders/back day, would Pause-Press apply for shoulder press/military press or any back exercises?  My last question is where would core muscles such as abs, obliques, and lower back fall in this shockwave protocol?  FYI I'm 5'6, 132 lbs(started at 124 lol), and bodyfat is steady at 8%.  My goal, if at all possible, is to someday get to around 155 lbs while remaining at 8% bodyfat.  I know, I'm guessing I'm one of the smallest guys in this whole community  😛  Thank you for taking the time to read my first post and I hope to become an active member of this friendly and encouraging forum.       

Richard Schmitt

Hello everyone!  I'm new to this forum and have been carb-backloading for the 4 months that I've been lifting weights.  I've been an avid runner and snowboarder for as long as I can remember, but I'm completely new to the world of weight-lifting, so I don't really have personal experiences with "traditional bodybuilding diets" to compare with how carb-backloading has worked for me.  All I know is that carb-backloading has allowed me to eat a heck of a lot more than I ever have while putting on muscle and not gaining a single % of bodyfat.  The best part about all of this is that progress came pretty much from doing my own thing in the gym without any real guidance, by just following the general principles of "lift heavy until failure."  I'm really excited to see what kind of results I can get by actually following a program specifically designed to complement carb-backloading.  This brings me to the intended topic of this post.  I think I understand how to perform levels 1 and X(ELECT and Pause-Press), but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what exactly I'm supposed to be doing for level 0(warm-up), level 2(auxiliary movements), and especially level U(DUP  ???)  I work out Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri and usually split my workout between chest and legs on 2 of those days and shoulders and back during the other 2. So from what I understand, on a chest/legs day, I would do ELECT and and Pause-Press for bench, incline bench, fly's(?), and squats.  What would levels 0, 2, and U look like that day though?  For shoulders/back day, would Pause-Press apply for shoulder press/military press or any back exercises?  My last question is where would core muscles such as abs, obliques, and lower back fall in this shockwave protocol?  FYI I'm 5'6, 132 lbs(started at 124 lol), and bodyfat is steady at 8%.  My goal, if at all possible, is to someday get to around 155 lbs while remaining at 8% bodyfat.  I know, I'm guessing I'm one of the smallest guys in this whole community  😛  Thank you for taking the time to read my first post and I hope to become an active member of this friendly and encouraging forum.     

Alright, first off welcome to DH, and second let's see if we can't fix this a bit.For Level 0, the Warm-up, you'd pick a weight you can easily do for 10x (as an example). Not going to failure, or feeling worn-out by that movement.For Level 2, the Auxillary Movements, is just your normal standard way of lifting that weight. If it says to 8 reps, get too the 8th rep, but the 9th should damn near impossible to do.For Level U, the DUP Movements, same as Level 2 but you're working a muscle completely different from what the day is. Like Monday for Chest and Bis, at the end you work Triceps, or for Shoulder and Triceps you have a Bicep Movement thrown in there. Helps keep the body strong throughout the duration of doing SW.You are following the routine split like it's should correct? From this post it looks like you're combining Chest with Legs, and Shoulders with Back? There is also no flys on Chest and Biceps Day. The Pause-Press is for Bench Press, Squats, and Shoulder Press, the Deadlift has it's own called Pause-Pull. You lower the weight normally, stop before the bar hits the chest, or get to low, pause for 2 seconds and push like your life depended on it. For Deadlifts, I've done it from the ground pulling it just at shins and then pulling with it all my might, and I've tried it in the rack where its at knee level lowering it till almost touching the ground then pulling the weights with all my might. Make sense?

P.J.
    Participant

Thanks Tex!  Ok so here is the workout I have planned for this evening.  Please let me know if it's right on or needs to be changed:Level 0: flat bench with a light weight x10 repsLevel 1: flat bench ELECTLevel 2: flat bench with a moderate/heavy weight 3 sets x10 repsLevel U: barbell curls 3 sets x10 repsLevel X: flat bench x3 reps of a weight i'm able to pause-press without strainingthenLevel 0: incline bench light weight x10 repsLevel 1: incline bench ELECTLevel 2: incline bench with moderate/heavy weight 3 sets x10 repsLevel U: tricep kick-ups 3 sets x10 repsLevel X: incline bench x3 reps of a weight i can pause-pressthen finallyLevel 0: squats light weight x 10 repsLevel 1: squats ELECTLevel 2: squats 3 sets x10 repsLevel U: 3 sets of an abs exercise?Level X: squats x3 reps pause-pressIs that anywhere close to a proper Shockwave program, or is that way off or way too much for one workout?  Haha please feel free to pick it apart and make the needed corrections.  I'm all ears 🙂

Richard Schmitt

Thanks Tex!  Ok so here is the workout I have planned for this evening.  Please let me know if it's right on or needs to be changed:Level 0: flat bench with a light weight x10 repsLevel 1: flat bench ELECTLevel 2: flat bench with a moderate/heavy weight 3 sets x10 repsLevel U: barbell curls 3 sets x10 repsLevel X: flat bench x3 reps of a weight i'm able to pause-press without strainingthenLevel 0: incline bench light weight x10 repsLevel 1: incline bench ELECTLevel 2: incline bench with moderate/heavy weight 3 sets x10 repsLevel U: tricep kick-ups 3 sets x10 repsLevel X: incline bench x3 reps of a weight i can pause-pressthen finallyLevel 0: squats light weight x 10 repsLevel 1: squats ELECTLevel 2: squats 3 sets x10 repsLevel U: 3 sets of an abs exercise?Level X: squats x3 reps pause-pressIs that anywhere close to a proper Shockwave program, or is that way off or way too much for one workout?  Haha please feel free to pick it apart and make the needed corrections.  I'm all ears 🙂

No, why are combining chest and legs? Monday is chest and bisTuesday is legsWednesday is coreThursday is shoulders and trisFriday is back. Do you not have the ebook for SW? It explains it clearly on what movements to do.

P.J.
    Participant

Oh I didn't know there was one.  I'll go ahead and check out that Ebook

guitarjon
    Participant

Alright, first off welcome to DH, and second let's see if we can't fix this a bit.For Level 0, the Warm-up, you'd pick a weight you can easily do for 10x (as an example). Not going to failure, or feeling worn-out by that movement.For Level 2, the Auxillary Movements, is just your normal standard way of lifting that weight. If it says to 8 reps, get too the 8th rep, but the 9th should damn near impossible to do.For Level U, the DUP Movements, same as Level 2 but you're working a muscle completely different from what the day is. Like Monday for Chest and Bis, at the end you work Triceps, or for Shoulder and Triceps you have a Bicep Movement thrown in there. Helps keep the body strong throughout the duration of doing SW.You are following the routine split like it's should correct? From this post it looks like you're combining Chest with Legs, and Shoulders with Back? There is also no flys on Chest and Biceps Day. The Pause-Press is for Bench Press, Squats, and Shoulder Press, the Deadlift has it's own called Pause-Pull. You lower the weight normally, stop before the bar hits the chest, or get to low, pause for 2 seconds and push like your life depended on it. For Deadlifts, I've done it from the ground pulling it just at shins and then pulling with it all my might, and I've tried it in the rack where its at knee level lowering it till almost touching the ground then pulling the weights with all my might. Make sense?Would you just do a light backload after core training?

Richard Schmitt

Nope, backload is not necessary after a Core Day. Unless you don't care about fat loss then go for it.

guitarjon
    Participant

Nope, backload is not necessary after a Core Day. Unless you don't care about fat loss then go for it.

Cool, thanks.  I think I'll just throw core in with shoulders and maybe do a version of that twice a week.  I've just started with SW this week so I'm just trying to tweak it a bit maybe into a 6 day split.  Any feedback would be helpful.

Richard Schmitt

You can do core after shoulders and tris. I know I do!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Newbie Here: Shockwave Questions

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?