Overtaxing my CNS or slow boat to China?

• This topic has 2 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Vern
    Keymaster

Alright I admit I know very little about resistance training.  No really.  I am also impatient, have a somewhat time availability urgency I want to take advantage of, and when focused on something am dangerously hardcore. Prior to this I had just lost 21 pounds by changing my diet to get my blood sugar under control.  I stumbled across Keifer's Carbs are not the Enermy article in Mens Fitness and later purchased CNS & CBL.  Jan 4 I started CNS diet and resistance training.  The first priority is to get my bodyfat down and uncover my abs.  I figured about anything I did in the gym in the beginning would work toward toning & getting in shape to later build muscle once I have stripped off some fat.  Learning how to efficiently resistance train would come later.  Well its later. The first thirty days I ate too much and only lost 13 pounds of bodyfat (20% to 14%) but was shocked when I gained 6 pounds of muscle.  I still have a hard time believing the 6 pounds of muscle is accurate. I generally am a skinneyfat lenky build.  I've been going 6 days a week 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 14 reps or until fail.  Usually I take something to fail a couple times a week.  I recently downloaded shockwave 1.4 and thought I'll learn that & implement it today.  Then my new subscription of Men's Fitness came in with an article by Keifer showing a four day workout to compliment CNS diet designed to stimulate your CNS (central nervous system) hormones whatever without overly taxing it.  "Follow the program to the letter and you'll see your sixpack within weeks."  I get when Keifer says that he means it.  Today I did "day one," to the letter.  But after I finished I was like what do I do with the next 60 minutes I usually spend in the gym.  I don't want to go home and look at food.  I have lots of energy left.  I didn't take anything to fail.  Not that it wasn't a workout or that their wasn't anything challenging.  I don't do dumbell lunges well.  I don't feel good about the deadlift yet.  But I dug the cable crunchs.  Anyway looking for experienced  lifters thoughts?    Do I need to slow down and stick with this until I get to my abs bodyfat goals and then move to CBL or move up to the shockwave? 

Petey G

I was curious to know which month that was in?

Vern

Carbs are not the enemy article was in the October 2011 issue and the Trainer article is in the current March 2012 issue. fwiw I am staying on the Trainer workout until I hit abs/bodyfat goals.  The push press was very hard on my wrists today.  I need to get some of them wrist support things.  I have learned a lot of names for exercises some of which I have looked up on Keifer's youtube videos other just on google to help learn how to do them. 

Petey G

Ok, now I see the article, thanks for pointing it out. Stay with it, it'll come.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

As someone who has been doing th bodybuilding/fitness thing here is my advice:In my opinion should be on Carb backloading (strength accumulation).  That will allow you to lean out and gain muscle.  You will get your goal faster.  Do CBL and see how far down the bodyfat % scale you can go.  The six pack start to peak out around 10% and really starts to pop out at 8%, which is the lowest most people go non-competition.  If you do plateau, then do Carb Nite to get down there.  I know you want the abs, but in most people abs are generally the last thing to come in your physique.  Focus on the big movements.Finally try to keep you workouts an hour or less.  If you are still full of energy after one hour, your workout was not intense enough.

Vern

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.  I think I will transition to CBL next week.  I sort of seem to have stalled at about 13 to 14% and maybe in strength gains.  Hard to say as I have worked a lot of variety.  I see & easily feel my abs but lol  their definitely not yet magazine cover material.  I'm sure most people would say I need muscle mass more than I need abs but I have more desire to see my physique like a Mens Fintness cover  than a Flex magazine cover.  Lol their not calling anytime soon either.  ;DI have been more core and big movements oriented and I would say Keifer's Men's Fintness routine has its share. Maybe your opinion is different if you have seen it.  The partition set ramping frustrates me though.  I agree with the more intensity thing.  In fact its the one thing that frustrates me about this gym.  IMO most everybody here takes too much time resting between doing things.  Too many maintainers and not enough people hell bent on growth. Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Overtaxing my CNS or slow boat to China?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?