Pavel’s "Power to the People"

• This topic has 3 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

zewski

Anybody ever read this?It's mainly focused on gettint stupid strong. However there is a variation of his program (the russian bear), that is focused on adding size as well.

sckiely
    Participant

Very good book! Use it! I would do the strength program first though if you are on CNS as the bear program is brutal! You want to be very good at both lifts for the bear to work and be doing CBL

zewski

Nice to see someone as experienced as yourself supporting the book.I'm most likely going to trade side press for weighted dips though.I guess it wouldn't make much sense to use a bulking type workout when CNS is specifically for fat loss, and NOT muscle gain. I really do enjoy minimalist routines (ala: martin berkhan, pavel, stuart mcrobertson), and have seen the best progress with them in both strength/muscle especailly during a diet.Now following kiefer's diet's I feel it's the perfect combo  ;D

sckiely
    Participant

I did it with bench press and deadlift! I used it for 3 months and it worked very well! I did this in the morning and trained kettlebells in the afternoon! Is actually a program I was considering doing again to improve my bench press!I did the bear for 8 weeks 3x a week after my PTTP cycle! I added plenty of size but not all good as I didn't know heaps about nutrition 6 years a go! I now use variations of both whilst training my clients , particularly beginners as lots of practice is better than lots if volume when you are new to training, as you still add size and you get the exercise RIGHT! Much more important than crappy reps for high volume

zewski

When following the PTP program did you train 5x/week as Pavel suggests, or did you reduce frequency because of your extra kb work?

sckiely
    Participant

5x a week!

jason morris
    Participant

I wonder if the Faleev 5×5 ( i think Tim Ferris of the 4hr work week had it on his blog) would trump the PTTP strength routine- in particular for people who want to get into powerlifting. Or possibly a bastardized version replacing the pull with pull ups (might be easier on the back)

zewski

Never heard of it. However, Pave's program is literally solely for strength. Only thing is it doesn't have any squatting in it, which you need to practice for powerlifting, unless you don't plan on ever doing a full meet. If you just wanna be stupid strong try PTP, but if you really wanna do PL'ing then you may need to look elsewhere.

jason morris
    Participant

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/12/18/pavel-8020-powerlifting-and-how-to-add-110-pounds-to-your-lifts/Pavel wrote the above, and I'm thinking of something like that might be worth a go.  Lord knows bicep curls are getting sneaked in there somewhere.The Pavel modified "Delorme" method is also something to consider.  I'm kinda digging these basic/brutal combos and will probably start soemthing like this soon.

Coffeeandchalkdust

Huge fan of that book! I think it has saved me a ton of aggravation and confusion over the years as the principles apply to strength training in general and not just the program he presents in the book.  Straight PTP would probably be a great fit on CNS (I did CNS on Dan John's 40 Day Program, which is basically a PTP descendent) and The Bear would probably work pretty well for CBL. I like the weighted dips idea too.

ffemtmcd

Interesting article!!  I've read PTP and highly recommend it.  Hadn't really thought of it with CNS or CBL but I do think they would work well together.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pavel’s "Power to the People"

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?