Pelvic tilt

• This topic has 8 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Not sure where this post should go, so feel free to move it if I'm in the wrong forum!This is mostly copy pasta from my log, but here I'm more likely to get any response 😛I've been having lower back pain since an injury a few months back, and I had a total eye-opener at the gym today. My back was hurting bad after a lot of experimenting with goblet squats, so I decided to drop the rest of the workout and work on mobility instead. After PNF stretching my hip flexors the pain was gone! I knew I have some anterior pelvic tilt (too much curving of the lower back), but I didn't think it was such a big factor in the back pain. I will now aggressively try to fix my APT. That along with strengthening my lower back should take care of the back pain. Rest has helped, but there's also been some atrophy I now need to fix.So the plan is:

• Glute activation
    • Lengthen hip flexors
    • Strengthen abs and lower back

Some of this I can do every day, and some only in the gym. PNF and similar stretching techniques are the most effective, but will give me DOMS, and can't be done every day. Has anyone had any luck curing their APT? Is there anything I've overlooked? Any help would be much appreciated! 😀

Damon Amato
    Participant

As an athletic trainer I deal with this fairly often, especially with football players and track runners.  As I said in your log, lengthening your hamstrings will do the opposite. Stretching your hip flexors and strengthening your hamstrings/gluts will get you there. 

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Thanks man! Just got 2 of Stuart Mcgills books, and will read up.

Chase102798

I had this exact same problem. After learning the same fix you did, I realized through conversation that alot of guys at my gym have the same problem and no one seemed to know what the story was. It is funny how something so simple makes such a huge impact. Great topic.

Naomi Most

Nearly every woman who's ever been pregnant ends up with APT.  Wrote a blog post about that…http://postpartumpunk.com/2011/01/01/fix-lordosis-to-eliminate-lower-back-pain-and-look-less-pregnant/

sckiely
    Participant

I thought i would link the first of these articles here, Eric Cressey is Pretty brilliant with this sort of stuff (Corrections) and Mike Robertson has heaps of fantastic information at his site. It's a bit lengthy, 3 separate articles, it should be helpful though.http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/neanderthal-no-more-part-i-with-eric-cressey/

gabex

I train at Mike Robertson's gym and have successfully corrected what I would say to be 80% of my APT, as well as multiple hip/shoulder impingement, etc.  I can try to help some if you have any specific questions, but also recommend checking out MR's forum on his website.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Cressey's works we're invaluable when I had a fubar'd shoulder. I should have thought of him myself! Will check out Robertson as well. Thanks for all the tips 😀

Chase102798

Just read those 5 cressey articles. Great stuff. Thanks for posting that.

soulmind

Been having back problems the last week and couldn't figure out why.  Started stretching my hip flexors and it's already getting better.  Thanks for posting this.

TheRev

I'm an APT guy. Surprisingly though, I have an insanely strong lower back. My hip flexors on the other hand are crazy tight. Doing low box squats (12″-16″) has helped me a lot. Mark Bell also did a little commentary on APT on his website supertraining.tv

Damon Amato
    Participant

just curious why you think a strong low back is surprising with APT?

Nman
    Participant

Having an APT KILLED me in football!  I would do everything our trainers and DRs told me to do, get feeling fine and sprint and strain my hamstring >:(.  I finally went to a Chiropractor and he adjusted me and gave me a lot of hip stretches to do as well as some glute activation exercises and it helped me so much.  In a short time i was back to running full speed without over-stressing my hamstrings due to inactive glutes.  It also drastically increased my squat, dead-lift and vertical.  When ever I hear of football players pulling their hamstring I always think of APT.  Most football programs are quad dominant and then players are athletes as well and sent in class and meetings all the time so they constantly have flexed hip flexors. 

TheRev

APT can sometimes cause a weak lower back

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pelvic tilt

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?