Poliquin on Glycogen Depletion from Training

• This topic has 7 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Often times I hear people say that lifting weights doesn't really burn much glycogen.  I strongly disagree.  I invite those folks to train with me and we'll see if they still think that.Poliquin seems to agree with me.  My only criticism is that he doesn't actually cite the studies he mentions.http://www.strengthsensei.com/do-you-need-to-replenish-glycogen-stores-after-strength-training/

Gnomer
    Participant

i'd be curious to see how this would differ from male to female as kiefer has talked about women tend to hold onto glycogen where as men have no problems dumping it.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

i'd be curious to see how this would differ from male to female as kiefer has talked about women tend to hold onto glycogen where as men have no problems dumping it.

It would probably differ significantly.  We know that quite well because men can eat A LOT more carbs when they use CBL.

Gnomer
    Participant

yea which i'm sure is something he would cover in cbl for women

Liftbig

Interesting article! This is what i thought, also. Eating carbs after a 5×5 style workout(or either way, hight intensity), i feel that my muscles “absorb” more carbs.

Gl;itch.e

Any training that induces a large amount of lactate will chew through glycogen since lactate is such a unefficient utilization of glucose. So in theory the higher reps where you “feel the burn” are going to deplete glycogen quite heavily. But I think even moderate to high amount of volume via heavy low rep sets will do much the same to deplete glycogen via the constant need to replenish atp between sets.

thestiffmeister
    Participant

I am not surprised. I also challenge anyone to train with me for a week and not die while going moderate or low carb. Unless your name is Jon Andersen and you are eating a shit ton of protein to make up for those carbs, you need a lot of carbs to recover between sessions.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Any training that induces a large amount of lactate will chew through glycogen since lactate is such a unefficient utilization of glucose. So in theory the higher reps where you "feel the burn" are going to deplete glycogen quite heavily. But I think even moderate to high amount of volume via heavy low rep sets will do much the same to deplete glycogen via the constant need to replenish atp between sets.

I always wondered what the efficiency of this was.  As well as how it compares to the efficiency of burning glycogen directly via the glycolytic system.

guitarjon
    Participant

I am not surprised. I also challenge anyone to train with me for a week and not die while going moderate or low carb. Unless your name is Jon Andersen and you are eating a shit ton of protein to make up for those carbs, you need a lot of carbs to recover between sessions.

Haha, I believe you.

TCB
    Participant

Seriously. That dude is a carnivore's carnivore.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Poliquin on Glycogen Depletion from Training

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?