Post-workout Question

• This topic has 3 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Hey everyone,After reading through Kiefer's articles and listening to his podcasts (especially the one about Carb Shock), I've been wondering what "type" of PWO nutrition is best...I train in the AM, and I've just been doing WPI, whey hydro, casein, leucine, and creatine an hour after lifting. On one of his podcasts on CS, he says to not ingest anything but MCT/coconut oil and/or coffee an hour after the PWO shake, and then to stay ULC for the rest of the day (until backloading if on CBL).My question is, instead of drinking a PWO shake, would actual food be better for PWO? It's always been said that real food is superior to protein shakes, but I just wasn't sure if consuming protein from solid food is better than fast absorbing protein shakes... because the shakes spike insulin to prevent catabolism and promote anabolism, right...? Or maybe I'm wrong...If whole food is better, then I would definitely be going that route and not spend extra money on protein powders. I also like to eat real food better. Thank you for your help/input in advance!

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Richard Schmitt

Hey everyone,After reading through Kiefer's articles and listening to his podcasts (especially the one about Carb Shock), I've been wondering what "type" of PWO nutrition is best...I train in the AM, and I've just been doing WPI, whey hydro, casein, leucine, and creatine an hour after lifting. On one of his podcasts on CS, he says to not ingest anything but MCT/coconut oil and/or coffee an hour after the PWO shake, and then to stay ULC for the rest of the day (until backloading if on CBL).My question is, instead of drinking a PWO shake, would actual food be better for PWO? It's always been said that real food is superior to protein shakes, but I just wasn't sure if consuming protein from solid food is better than fast absorbing protein shakes... because the shakes spike insulin to prevent catabolism and promote anabolism, right...? Or maybe I'm wrong...If whole food is better, then I would definitely be going that route and not spend extra money on protein powders. I also like to eat real food better. Thank you for your help/input in advance!

You're right about needing to spike insulin, the PWO Shake is probably the best route to go since you're on CBL and that is what I would suggest you do. Keep to the MCT, Coconut oil, and coffee consumption an hour after that shake.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Thank you for the quick response!Do you think it would be any different if training while on CNS? I've actually currently switched over to CNS, and I've been trying to battle in my mind whether that anabolic trigger is more important than keeping the insulin low throughout the day to promote more fat burning. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my thought would be the insulin spike caused by the shake would be rapid and would return to basal line just as rapidly so the PWO shake, followed by coffee+MCT/EVCO would still be the way to go on CNS...?

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Richard Schmitt

my thought would be the insulin spike caused by the shake would be rapid and would return to basal line just as rapidly so the PWO shake, followed by coffee+MCT/EVCO would still be the way to go on CNS...?

Yes sir that is correct.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Awesome, good to know I was on the right page. Thank you Mr. Tex!

The_Bear
    Participant

So are you going to add in carbs to your morning PWO shake now? And then wait and hour after this before consuming some MCT's etc and going back to low carb?

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

So are you going to add in carbs to your morning PWO shake now? And then wait and hour after this before consuming some MCT's etc and going back to low carb?

No, I don't add carbs in my PWO shake (not even while I was on CBL), especially since I'm trying out CNS now.After training I'll wait an hour until I have my protein, leucine, and creatine mix. Then I usually wait another hour or so and just have coconut oil and coffee until my next meal, which is usually dinner (I don't get hungry during the day anymore, and with classes and the inconvenient cafeteria times I don't really get to eat anyways, haha).

The_Bear
    Participant

No, I don't add carbs in my PWO shake (not even while I was on CBL), especially since I'm trying out CNS now.After training I'll wait an hour until I have my protein, leucine, and creatine mix. Then I usually wait another hour or so and just have coconut oil and coffee until my next meal, which is usually dinner (I don't get hungry during the day anymore, and with classes and the inconvenient cafeteria times I don't really get to eat anyways, haha).

Roger that.I do pretty much the same, hence my interest in this thread.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post-workout Question

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?