Powerlifter 1 Week into CBL

• This topic has 4 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

SchilleroStrength
    Keymaster

Hey DHers,I'm a raw drug-free competitive powerlifter (220s) and exercise physiology grad student.  I just finished re-reading CBL 1.0 and I'm wrapping up my first week of CBL.  I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress and getting into some good discussion here on the forums.  I've been using Wendler's 5/3/1 for the past year and half (with some variations for different phases) and so far I'm suprisingly enjoying strength training on no pre-training carbs (didn't believe the 'Hulk Factor' till I tried it myself).  Hopin' the best for everyone in their goals and looking forward to checking out the DH forums and sharing what I've learned as well as (even more importantly) learning some good info. 

pshannon

Welcome! What are your numbers looking like? I have been running 5/3/1 on and off for a while and really like it.

SchilleroStrength

Welcome! What are your numbers looking like? I have been running 5/3/1 on and off for a while and really like it.

Thanks! Yea I really like 5/3/1 When I began powerlifting last year I weighed 180 and my squat/bench/dead was about 315/275/330 at USAPL standards.  Right now I'm at 210 and 425/320/520 and my numbers should be vastly improved at the next meet. I've been very happy with the progress from 5/3/1 so far.  I've got a lot more work to do tho! Gotta keep slowly creeping towards the 220 elite total in the next few years.. How about yourself?

pshannon

Well this week I have been testing my 1RM so I can start back up. Bench 180Squat 180 (literally just got home from doing this) - I have a lot of trouble with this. Any advice is appreciated  😀Deadlift 325 OH Press 130 All of your numbers are super strong especially for your weight class.

SchilleroStrength

From my experience a lot of squatting problems can be solved by technique corrections.  Then after correcting technique it takes some time to fix weaknesses (ex. hamstrings, hip flexors, etc) to support the new form.  So I would seek some good instruction from someone who has a good competition-depth squat, or if you don't have access to that, watch some good instructional squat vids from some pros (like some of the powerlifters on http://www.elitefts.com) and then just take the time.  It's all about patience and consistency (I'm still working on it myself)

greenmark59

From my experience a lot of squatting problems can be solved by technique corrections.  Then after correcting technique it takes some time to fix weaknesses (ex. hamstrings, hip flexors, etc) to support the new form.  So I would seek some good instruction from someone who has a good competition-depth squat, or if you don't have access to that, watch some good instructional squat vids from some pros (like some of the powerlifters on http://www.elitefts.com) and then just take the time.  It's all about patience and consistency (I'm still working on it myself)

Gotta' agree with looking for help. Just watched some elitefts videos at the beginning of the month and they helped me gain 30 lbs in my squat and it was just form and technique changes that as a newbie I didn't really know about. The more you know the better you can move the WEIGHT (well it does take practice, practice, practice also).

Jeffrey Hansen
    Participant

I found a local squat coach from the starting strength Website [http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/coaching/url]. After one session, I fear I want to become a power lifter and my squat has gone up.I must stop soon!

jsmith

If you dont mind me asking what are you doing with your exercise physiology degree? Im currently working on my BA in exercise science. Im on the path to becoming a physical therapist, but that plan is still subject to change. Im just wondering what other options are out there.

SchilleroStrength

Yea it's amazing what the smallest changes in technique will do for your lifts isn't it!..@jsmith I'm currently a fitness & wellness graduate assistant at a university rec center in Ohio.  I would like to work in management in the future either in campus recreation or hospital-based wellness.  I also really enjoy teaching so I may do that part-time in the next year as well.  Best of luck to you! I originally was pre-PT but decided to make a change about a year and half ago and go with my masters.  No matter what you choose I'm sure if you remain passionate and gain as much practical experience (outside of school) as possible you'll go a long way.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Powerlifter 1 Week into CBL

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?