PRE CARB-MACRO CALCULATOR

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Patrik Meiser
    Participant

Hello,

i have a question relating to the chart on page 231, the “pre carb-mealtimes macro calculator”. The first column “Target BW” shows the weight in pounds. But what about the other columns, I’m not sure in which unit of weight they are (Prot Lo, Prot Hi et cetera). I tried to convert some data but I think I did something wrong.
    Would you please help me?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
    Patrik

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

They are in grams.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Patrik Meiser
    Participant

Thanks a lot.
    But how do I have to use the Deficit levels right? Or rather, how do I have to read the chart right?
    For example target BW 130 contains only 24.1 grams fat per day?

Thank you in advance.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Personally, I wouldn’t even use the chart. It’s unnecessary and over-complicated. Most people make it simpler by doing the following in regards to daily macros:
    Protein – 1 gram per lbs of BW
    Carbs – 1-2 grams per lbs of lean body mass
    Fats – at least half the amount of protein

The important thing is to have an idea of your daily energy expenditure, and so play around with the amount of carbs and fats to hit that number. Everyone is different (genetics, training, activity, carb tolerance, etc.) so you’re ultimately going to have to dial in what works best in regards to the macronutrient ratio.

That being said, the fat on the chart is the minimum amount of fat you should hit prior to backloading. So your 130 lbs example would indicate you need to get at least 24.1 gram of fat and 55.5-99.1 grams of protein before your workout/backload. Then, if you went with lower end of protein, you would eat the “protein deficit high” amount (63.4 grams) in your PWO, backload, and any meal after your workout. Likewise, if you ate the higher amount of protein before working out, you’d eat the “deficit low” amount (35.5 grams) after working out. Either way, your total protein comes to around 120-135 grams of protein for the whole day.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Patrik Meiser
    Participant

yre674, thanks so much, that will really help me a lot!
    By the way (I posted it earlier before), please can you take a look at my backload plan? I’m trying to find out whats the best amount of macros for me, but if you would take a look at it and review it, I can be sure if this works for me or if I have to adapt something.

My workout is done at 5pm.

P=Protein C=Carbs F=Fat

Calories until workout: about 700 cal (75P 5C 40F)

5pm – Post workout shake: about 160 cal (20P 20C 0F)

5:30pm – Chickenbreast with rice/potatoes and 1-2 bananas: about 600 cal (25P 110C 5F)

7pm – short-chain carbs; ice cream or something else (chocolate bar, cornflakes…): about 200-700 cal (?P 50-100C ?F)…depends on what I ate

8pm – protein shake: about 110 cal (25P 0C 0F)

Calories after CBL (contains post workout shake): about 1100 cal (70P 200C ?F)
    Calories (pre and post workout): about 2000 cal (sometimes more, sometimes less)

Total: at least 145 gram protein, up to 200 gram carbs (all after workout) and about 50-120 gram fat.

Is that okay?

I also have some questions:
    1) When is the right time to eat bananas? In the first or in the second post workout meal?
    2) I’m afraid to eat more calories, especially carbs, because I’m gaining weight very easy.
    3) Which foods are the best to eat for the short-chain carbs?

Thank you in advance. Sorry for maybe bad grammar, english is not my first language.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

The overall setup looks good, but without knowing your stats like height/weight/BF% it’s hard to tell if the amount of food you’re eating is enough or too much. So the amount and macros would be adjusted based on that, but like I said, I think your plan looks pretty solid. I would say try it out for 3-4 weeks, and see how your body does.

To answer your questions:
    1) Whenever during your backload is fine. It really doesn’t matter if you actually split your carbs into “meals” or just eat/graze over time. As long as the macros are hit, I don’t think “when” is all that important, as long as you’re getting the “what.” Now, if I were you, and I was going to have ice cream I’d eat my bananas with that and make like a banana split or something haha.
    2) I have the same problem. Start on a conservative side, and gradually increase the amount. For example, you could start your first week with just 1 gram per lb of lean mass, then next week bump it up a little (like x1.3) until you get to a point where you’re stalling or gaining fat. At that point, go back to the previous amount that you were able to eat and still see progress. Usually, 2 grams per lb is a maximum, but that also depends on your training and daily activity.
    3) By short-chain carbs, do you mean high glycemic? It’s probably best to focus on starchy foods like white rice, potatoes, white bread (if you’re not gluten intolerant), maybe even overcooked pasta. Some junk is okay too, like ice cream or donuts for dessert, as long as it doesn’t become your main source for carbs. Glucose-based is better for glycogen recompensation, and while in small amounts it’s fine, it might be best to avoid fructose-rich fruits. Also, keep in mind anything with table sugar (sucrose) is about half glucose half fructose, so you could probably benefit from limiting those.

Hope that helps. And don’t worry, English isn’t my native language either haha.

Patrik Meiser
    Participant

yes, that really helps.
    Sorry, I forgot to tell you my stats:
    1,75m 75kg about 10%BF. My target weight: 72kg (160lbs)

Ah okay, I thought the first meal after post workout shake has to be very low-fat, and the second meal is the one, where you can eat what you want to?

Further, I adapted my meal plan and these are the results:
    Protein: 160 grams (about 2,1grams per kilo BW)
    Carbs: 100-180 grams (about 1-2 grams of lean body mass) well, this is a value- I have to experiment.
    Fats: 70 grams (nealry half amount of protein, and about 1 gram per Kg BW)

So, thats it so far- I’m snoopy if it will work 🙂

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

The low-fat 1st meal and fatty 2nd meal doesn’t matter all that much, since the “second meal effect” seems to release fatty acids (from your meals before) from consuming food. At least that’s what was said the last time I checked.

In regards to your macros, given your status, I think you need to be eating more. Protein is fine, you could go higher if you wanted to. At 10% BF with 75 kg, for carbs you’d be looking at anywhere between ~150-300 grams (your lean body mass is close to 150 lbs), but you don’t have to go that high if you don’t want/need to. For fats, you might want to get a little more, probably at least half of your protein.
    The macros you have right now comes out to only ~1670-1990 kcal, so I would definitely shoot for the higher end. I don’t know your training volume/frequency/intensity, but if you don’t need a lot of carbs, I would just add more protein and fats to bump up the calories accordingly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PRE CARB-MACRO CALCULATOR

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?