Pressing strength regressing on SW

• This topic has 2 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

JLDetwiler
    Keymaster

Each week my results are going down on the pressing movements.  I've got a PL meet coming up and don't want to suck on bench.  What should I do to improve performance?This week - Stopped at 185 OHP, couldn't do 225 incline, 245 close grip bench was brutal, 265 flat bench (no decline here, I'm traveling for work) was brutal, didn't even try pause-press, 225 push press was easy, 245 got too far forward and failedLast week - Stopped at 175 OHP b/c shoulder hurt, 295 close grip bench was easy, 230 incline, 325 decline, 275 pause-press was easy, 315 failed, 225 push press was easy.Week before - 175 OHP, 275 CGBP, 235 incline was easy, 315 decline, 275 pause press was hard.Some have gone up, but this week especially everything is down.  My goal for my meet is a PR at 365.  I put up 345 at the end of a hard workout three months ago.  Any help is greatly appreciated.FWIW, I'm doing CBL the nights before training and ULC the other days.  I've gone from 215 in June to 190.  Squats are strong at 425 last week and failed at 435 this week.  DL has been pretty good, too.  Goals for the meet are 480, 365, 500.Thanks

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Each week my results are going down on the pressing movements.  I've got a PL meet coming up and don't want to suck on bench.  What should I do to improve performance?This week - Stopped at 185 OHP, couldn't do 225 incline, 245 close grip bench was brutal, 265 flat bench (no decline here, I'm traveling for work) was brutal, didn't even try pause-press, 225 push press was easy, 245 got too far forward and failedLast week - Stopped at 175 OHP b/c shoulder hurt, 295 close grip bench was easy, 230 incline, 325 decline, 275 pause-press was easy, 315 failed, 225 push press was easy.Week before - 175 OHP, 275 CGBP, 235 incline was easy, 315 decline, 275 pause press was hard.Some have gone up, but this week especially everything is down.  My goal for my meet is a PR at 365.  I put up 345 at the end of a hard workout three months ago.  Any help is greatly appreciated.FWIW, I'm doing CBL the nights before training and ULC the other days.  I've gone from 215 in June to 190.  Squats are strong at 425 last week and failed at 435 this week.  DL has been pretty good, too.  Goals for the meet are 480, 365, 500.Thanks

I wouldn't do Shockwave if you are doing CBL.  Shockwave works nicely for Carb Nite because it isn't very intense, but you can handle more on CBL.  Switch to more traditional powerlifting training, it works great with CBL.Have you lost fat?  A lot of time the upper body lifts will take a dip when you lose body fat.

JLDetwiler

Yes, I've lost a lot of fat.  Body weight has been steady for four weeks, though, so I'm not sure what to do about getting the bench back on track.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pressing strength regressing on SW

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?