Proper Form vs Body building documentary

• This topic has 5 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Gnomer
    Participant

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I've always been a big fan of “cheat” reps.  Take the curl for example.  I think a curl with some shoulder flexion in it is superior to the “strict” curl that is pure elbow flexion.  Toss some hip extension in there (the cheat curl) and you got an awesome way to overload your biceps with more weight than normal.

Gnomer
    Participant

I've always been a big fan of "cheat" reps.  Take the curl for example.  I think a curl with some shoulder flexion in it is superior to the "strict" curl that is pure elbow flexion.  Toss some hip extension in there (the cheat curl) and you got an awesome way to overload your biceps with more weight than normal.

yea good majority of bodybuilders i have seen do the cheat curls

Richard Schmitt

What do y'all think about “cheat” bent over flies for rear delts?

What do y'all think about "cheat" bent over flies for rear delts?

I think Hang swings are the best way to go heavy there.

Gnomer
    Participant

I think Hang swings are the best way to go heavy there.

yea these hurt like hell hehhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxFs72mYYsM&noredirect=1

TCB
    Participant

Especially after watching some Pakulski stuff, is that this is one movement that wouldn't really benefit from body english. The ROM for a rear delt specific exercise isn't really that large, so by "cheating" it, you could be potentially completely missing out on the contractile portion of the ROM. I'd think that, also by "cheating" it, you could be removing some of the tension from the rear delt by recruiting your scapular retractors too much and thus not really isolating the rear delts as much as if you were to keep tension, with scaps protracted.Just my thoughts  ;D

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Especially after watching some Pakulski stuff, is that this is one movement that wouldn't really benefit from body english. The ROM for a rear delt specific exercise isn't really that large, so by "cheating" it, you could be potentially completely missing out on the contractile portion of the ROM. I'd think that, also by "cheating" it, you could be removing some of the tension from the rear delt by recruiting your scapular retractors too much and thus not really isolating the rear delts as much as if you were to keep tension, with scaps protracted.Just my thoughts  ;D

Unless you are doing a shrug, your scapula doesn't retract until your rear delts are already fully contracted.

TCB
    Participant

Unless you are doing a shrug, your scapula doesn't retract until your rear delts are already fully contracted.

I don't think that's true at all. You can hold your hands, arms straight, directly in front of you and retract your scaps without a rear delt contraction..This was what I was trying to describe... -Ripped off from a Pakulski FB post about delt training:

5)When training the REAR DELTS, to truly isolate the delt you must eliminate back movement and therefore any movement of your scapula(shoulder blade). To do this, PROTRACT your shoulders(push the shoulder girdle forward), before performing any rear delt movement. Try to keep it there while extending the glenohumeral joint(shoulder joint).

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I don't think that's true at all. You can hold your hands, arms straight, directly in front of you and retract your scaps without a rear delt contraction..This was what I was trying to describe... -Ripped off from a Pakulski FB post about delt training:

5)When training the REAR DELTS, to truly isolate the delt you must eliminate back movement and therefore any movement of your scapula(shoulder blade). To do this, PROTRACT your shoulders(push the shoulder girdle forward), before performing any rear delt movement. Try to keep it there while extending the glenohumeral joint(shoulder joint).

That's why I said unless you are doing a shrug.  What you described, is a shrug.

TCB
    Participant

That's why I said unless you are doing a shrug.  What you described, is a shrug.

When I see shrug, I think an upward movement. Not a retraction & depression.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

A shrug isn't necessarily an upward movement.  Go to youtube and type in "prone shrug" or "chest supported shrug".

TCB
    Participant

A shrug isn't necessarily an upward movement.  Go to youtube and type in "prone shrug" or "chest supported shrug".

Ah, semantics. My mind just sees shrug and pictures an "I dunno" shrugging motion, ha.Regardless, I stand by my point about bent fly cheat reps.. Some movements I can see it being helpful by overloading the contraction (like curls), though it is going to shorten the ROM, thus you're missing out on working the fully stretched position. So if another movement were inserted that focused on the stretched position, cool. However, the effective ROM for a rear delt fly is fairly small, so I don't think doing a cheat rep would help a whole lot at all. Especially because 99% of people would likely retract their scaps first, instead of activating the rear delt first (kind of like on pullups/cable pulldowns you want to focus on the first movement being an activation of the lats by a retraction/depression of the scaps)Something like barbell shrugs are another one I don't think cheat reps would particularly help, again because it's a fairly short ROM, so you might be skipping out on a large chunk of it by cheating it up. Unless you're trying to focus on the eccentrics, in which case cheat reps could help just about any movement.All in all though, I like the idea of this conversation. Lots of people want to make fun of people they see in the gym for using body english on movements, or doing partial ROMs, etc, but you never know what that person is trying to do. My favorite is when someone is doing only the top 1/3 of the ROM with a closer grip on bench and people make fun of that. The funny thing is they usually over look the fact the guy(or girl I suppose) is usually big, and strong, maybe they know what they're doing?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Proper Form vs Body building documentary

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?