Protein

• This topic has 8 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

LZB22
    Keymaster

I am about to start Carbnite so that I can shed some fat. I am a bodybuilder and I would like to keep protein at around 1.5 grams per pound of body fat, which would equate to 360 grams of protein daily. Will this increase my calories to the point which hinders fat loss? Of course I would still be following the guidelines of Carbnite. Help is very appreciated.

Richard Schmitt

Stick to a maximum of 1.3g for proteins and at least .5-1g for fats daily. Anything more than that for protein is pretty much a waste.

Caino
    Participant

I go over that almost every backload day lol, does it have any adverse effects?

Richard Schmitt

Only thing I'm aware of during ULC meals it gets stored as glucose.

hack_attack
    Participant

Well, the protein PROBABLY won't get stored as glucose AS LONG AS you are getting in at least .5g/lb of fat. If you are giving your body enough fats, then it won't have any need to utilize the proteins in that way, it doesn't like to. So make sure to get enough fat, that is what's going to help you lose more weight. Lowering fats and upping proteins is just going to tell your body it is okay to use protein (and protein structures like muscles) for energy.Also, you don't need higher than 1.3g/lb (or 3g/kg, depending on who you ask) in protein because, while not necessarily harmful, it is just useless. Your body CANNOT synthesize any more than that amount.

Caino
    Participant

Well, the protein PROBABLY won't get stored as glucose AS LONG AS you are getting in at least .5g/lb of fat. If you are giving your body enough fats, then it won't have any need to utilize the proteins in that way, it doesn't like to. So make sure to get enough fat, that is what's going to help you lose more weight. Lowering fats and upping proteins is just going to tell your body it is okay to use protein (and protein structures like muscles) for energy.Also, you don't need higher than 1.3g/lb (or 3g/kg, depending on who you ask) in protein because, while not necessarily harmful, it is just useless. Your body CANNOT synthesize any more than that amount.

it does however fill me up more

hotshot23
    Participant

Too much protein turns to glucose and is used for energy… instead of burning fat… which defeats the point of being low carb throughout the week.

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Too much protein turns to glucose and is used for energy... instead of burning fat... which defeats the point of being low carb throughout the week.

Actually there's no scientific proof of that.. http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html?m=1

Caino
    Participant

seriously eating about 1.5-1.8 with lots of veggies and .7 fat has given me the best results by far, but hey each to their own, and the protein at least keeps me satiated

hack_attack
    Participant

The only time protein will turn to glucose is IF you are making it your primary source of energy and starving yourself otherwise. Your body HATES using protein for energy in that way.

hotshot23
    Participant

Exactly… That's what I said. Too much turns to glucose and prevents ketone production.

hack_attack
    Participant

Sure, if you are also stripping yourself of carbs and fats. If all you take in is protein, then your body will begrudgingly use it. If you have adequate fat intake, it isn't a problem because if your body doesn't have to turn it into glucose, it usually won't. Just because your body might have a little extra doesn't meant it is instantly going to be turned to glucose.

hotshot23
    Participant

Your body is ALWAYS breaking down some protein and converting it to glucose. In a state of no carbohydrate, your brain is begging for glucose. Protein helps to supply this need, and excessive protein, which no one really knows what is excessive, will be readily available for use of conversion…. Especially when there are no protein sparing carbs to provide glucose to the brain. Ketones can supply the brain and spare protein…. But as I stated earlier… excessive protein will prevent ketone production.  There is plenty of research to validate this.

hotshot23
    Participant

Gl;itch.e

OP what is your BF%? the reason I ask is that unless you are very lean 1.5g per pound is probably too much. If you are in the sub 8% or something maybe its a good number to shoot for to help prevent muscle loss, but further above that the risk of muscle loss diminishes. 1.5g protein would also screw your intake from fats as you are trying to get at least (the bare minimum) of 50% of your calories from fat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Protein

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?