Protein Intake Calculations

• This topic has 2 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

RJH76

I used the calculators in this article to set my protein intake. It might be helpful to others: http://evidencemag.com/dieting-protein-needs/

TCB
    Participant

Somewhat helpful, I suppose.Unless you consider that the recommendations in that would generally be too high to maintain a ketotic state.. And being ketotic is generally muscle preserving anyway. So kind of 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

RJH76

Somewhat helpful, I suppose.Unless you consider that the recommendations in that would generally be too high to maintain a ketotic state.. And being ketotic is generally muscle preserving anyway. So kind of 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Good point. So, for the CNS where lifting or heavy exercise isn't recommended in the book, the muscle sparing comes from maintaining a mostly ketogenic state, and these calculators shouldn't be used.  But, for CBL these correspond closely to the recommendations in that book for leaning, so these would be good or CBL. Do you think that would be an accurate statement?

TCB
    Participant

Not really, IMHO..The title of the article is "How much protein do you need to maintain muscle mass while dieting?" except CBL, the goal isn't to maintain muscle mass.. it's to gain muscle mass. Whether that be while losing fat, or while minimizing fat gain. A much more simplistic route, to me, is just the ole 1g/lb of LBM. A little less is you're wanting to be ketogenic, a little more if you're trying hard to grow.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Protein Intake Calculations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?