Protein intake responsible for lean mass and calories for fat mass, new study?

• This topic has 3 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jackson

I found this study and thought it was pretty interesting I had a quick read through it, I must admit even at the best of times Im not the most critical thinker in regards to scientific studies. So if anyone is interested in reading it and letting me know what they think some of the down falls and limitations were thatd be good.This is a brief overview from what I understand the study to be saying and remember my ability to read between the lines with the stuff is fairly limited.Three different groups 1 low protein, 1 normal and 1 high.All groups were over fed 1000 calories/day for 8 weeksAll groups gained around 3kg of fatlow protein group lost a small amount of lean mass <1kg, protein intake was around 57g/day (5% of energy intake)and experienced no significant change in resting or total energy expenditureModerate protein gained around 2.8kg of lean mass and had an increase in both resting and total energy expenditure about protein intake was about 140g/day (15% of energy intake)high protein group was about 210g/day (25% of energy intake) gained about 3.1kg of lean mass and also had an increase in energy expenditure similar to the moderate protein.When protein was increased, fat was reduced and CHO remained the sameConclusion from the study was, calorie intake is responsible for the fat gain and protein was responsible for the lean mass gain as well as the energy expenditure increase, lean mass gain was also partly responsible for some of the increase in energy expenditure, the overeating was said to also increase metabolic rate.None of the subjects were participating in a regular exercise program and were not assigned any type of exercise.I found the study pretty interesting, they also came to the conclusion that around 77g/day of protein was needed to fight off lean mass loss and as the low protein group were under this they lost some of their lean mass, I believe it was around 700g.My take away message from this was, a high level of protein is not needed to maintain lean mass and fight off a loss of lean mass. It also brings to mind, if the subjects in this study were able to add 3kg of lean mass, even though they added 3kg of fat, why is it so hard for some people that weight train to see such increases?Are we/they not eating enough?Does weight training change the effects? I dont see how it could do anything except encourage the gain of lean mass.Does weight training increase the metabolic rate so much that we need additional calories?What effect would varying quantities of protein have on a maintenance diet?What if they decreased the CHO and allowed the fat to increase with protein intake what would the results be then?

Richard Schmitt

So these studies, was fat intake and carb intake measured or even used as well? That could be a factor in the 3kg of fat gain too. Along with lean muscle gained or loss. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jackson

Yes it was measured. Participants underwent a phase of “normal” intake at maintenance  then after their weight was stable for a given period of time that was determined to be maintenance intake (BMR was also measured). Once they determined this they then added 1000 calories and then broke up macro nutrient into % and when protein was increased fat was reduced, CHO remained constant between the groups.

CptSmash

I found this study and thought it was pretty interesting I had a quick read through it, I must admit even at the best of times Im not the most critical thinker in regards to scientific studies. So if anyone is interested in reading it and letting me know what they think some of the down falls and limitations were thatd be good.This is a brief overview from what I understand the study to be saying and remember my ability to read between the lines with the stuff is fairly limited.Three different groups 1 low protein, 1 normal and 1 high.All groups were over fed 1000 calories/day for 8 weeksAll groups gained around 3kg of fatlow protein group lost a small amount of lean mass <1kg, protein intake was around 57g/day (5% of energy intake)and experienced no significant change in resting or total energy expenditureModerate protein gained around 2.8kg of lean mass and had an increase in both resting and total energy expenditure about protein intake was about 140g/day (15% of energy intake)high protein group was about 210g/day (25% of energy intake) gained about 3.1kg of lean mass and also had an increase in energy expenditure similar to the moderate protein.When protein was increased, fat was reduced and CHO remained the sameConclusion from the study was, calorie intake is responsible for the fat gain and protein was responsible for the lean mass gain as well as the energy expenditure increase, lean mass gain was also partly responsible for some of the increase in energy expenditure, the overeating was said to also increase metabolic rate.None of the subjects were participating in a regular exercise program and were not assigned any type of exercise.I found the study pretty interesting, they also came to the conclusion that around 77g/day of protein was needed to fight off lean mass loss and as the low protein group were under this they lost some of their lean mass, I believe it was around 700g.My take away message from this was, a high level of protein is not needed to maintain lean mass and fight off a loss of lean mass. It also brings to mind, if the subjects in this study were able to add 3kg of lean mass, even though they added 3kg of fat, why is it so hard for some people that weight train to see such increases? Genetics, training style, nutrition status, nitrogen retention, hormone levels, thyroid, cortisol, testosterone...a lot of different variables to consider here.Are we/they not eating enough?  Most people don't eat enough calories to gain a lot of muscle, or perhaps not at the right times...as Keifer and John Meadows have said, peri-post workout nutrition are the key parts of your day when you can enhance MPS.  That still doesn't make it a fast process to increase muscle mass.  It takes time, calories, and muscle stimulation at the right levels for you individually.Does weight training change the effects? I dont see how it could do anything except encourage the gain of lean mass.  Obviously weight training changes the whole perspective on the body, why does CBL work?  I know, I know a question to answer a question, but I think you can come up with your own answer here.Does weight training increase the metabolic rate so much that we need additional calories?  Yes. It's part of your daily activity expenditures, plus you have to repair the damaged tissue and grow new tissue if stimulated enough.What effect would varying quantities of protein have on a maintenance diet?  Depends on what your protein level is currently.  If this study is correct, essentially protein causes a net gain in lean mass, so if you intake enough protein you're going to gain more muscle mass in essence, but the solution is a bit more complex than that.  MPS is stimulated by 20g of whey isolate or can 5g of leucine for a two to four hour window.  Insulin is suppose to keep the MPS going longer, at least that's the theory, but I haven't seen the research on this, it makes sense though.What if they decreased the CHO and allowed the fat to increase with protein intake what would the results be then?  Hmmm, no or low CHO, high fat, high protein...what does that sound like, seems like it resembles something I read somewhere...sorry, can't place it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Protein intake responsible for lean mass and calories for fat mass, new study?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?