Protein Overconsumption

• This topic has 5 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Adam Hays
    Participant

Is there a limit on protein that I can consume that would negatively affect my results using CBL? I am 170 lbs at 12% bodyfat. The max protein I would ever eat in a day would be 300g.

Not much early in the day could cause negative effects, aside from that not really, Though you don't get extra benefit past about 1-1.3g of protein per lbs.

Adam Hays
    Participant

For sure. I wouldn't be low during the day. I just wanted to know if I can eat a lot of protein cause I love meat and often eat whole chickens. I have heard that gluconeogenesisCan cause a rise or spike in insulin and I don't want that if I'm doing carb nite

Adam Hays
    Participant

Will to much protein cause gluconeogenesis and spike my insulin?

Richard Schmitt

By itself, over 10g

Adam Hays
    Participant

But not with fat and fiber? Even if I get 160g in one feeding?

Adam Hays
    Participant

For dinner I like to eat 1 whole rotisserie chicken with a salad. I know that's more protein than I'll ever need but I like the large dinner. Is this a problem?

Richard Schmitt

That will cause a rise for sure. Even with fats. The fats will only blunt it not stop it. Besides, with having that at night shouldn't be a problem.

Adam Hays
    Participant

I know it wouldn't be a problem on CBL but what about normal protein and fat nights on CNS?

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

I know it wouldn't be a problem on CBL but what about normal protein and fat nights on CNS?

I have a thought on this, and my thinking has just changed recently when I saw someone else online who explained it better than I can.Their explanation was that your body is only going to use gluconeogenesis to turn what it needs into glucose.  So, for example, when you are not taking in enough protein and your body has to go to your muscle tissue to break down the amino acids it needs... it doesn't break down ALL of the muscle you have all at once, right?  It just uses what it needs.  Would the same not apply to the protein we take in?  Why would our bodies spend the time and the effort messing around with gluconeogenesis, if it is not needed?I have no link, I have nothing to back this up, without doing some googling.  But would love to hear if anyone else has good articles or links that contradict this idea.  Because at this point, it is pretty much making sense to me.

TCB
    Participant

I have a thought on this, and my thinking has just changed recently when I saw someone else online who explained it better than I can.Their explanation was that your body is only going to use gluconeogenesis to turn what it needs into glucose.  So, for example, when you are not taking in enough protein and your body has to go to your muscle tissue to break down the amino acids it needs... it doesn't break down ALL of the muscle you have all at once, right?  It just uses what it needs.  Would the same not apply to the protein we take in?  Why would our bodies spend the time and the effort messing around with gluconeogenesis, if it is not needed?I have no link, I have nothing to back this up, without doing some googling.  But would love to hear if anyone else has good articles or links that contradict this idea.  Because at this point, it is pretty much making sense to me.

The body has to do something with the protein you consume.. and it's more easily stored in a glucose variant, as opposed to amino acids. So I would think that excess protein eaten, beyond needs for body function/rebuild/repair/etc, would be converted into whatever can be most easily stored for later. No science to back me up.. Just how I've always understood it.

Adam Hays
    Participant

could I go ULC and use an excess of protein in my post workout meal (whole foods at dinner) to induce gluconeogenesis that would replenish glycogen stores instead of using carbs to replenish glycogen stores?

Richard Schmitt

They won't necessarily refill glycogen stores like carbs would, it just behaves like it. You'll get the excess insulin spike again, which if you're on CNS and ULC, there really isn't a need to do that unless it's the PWO Shake, not meal. Replenishing glycogen stores on CNS defeats the purpose of being ULC, again unless it's on a CN.

Adam Hays
    Participant

ya.  I want to use excess protein/ gluconeogenesis at dinner post workout to replenish glycogen stores for CBL instead of using carbs

You will mostly get liver glycogen from glucoseneogenisis, it's a very inefficient process so it's hard to get a lot of glycogen from it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Protein Overconsumption

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?