Question about off days

• This topic has 6 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Powergirl36

Hey all,Question about off days. I'm very small, but have a lot of muscle as I'm a size 4 but weigh 130. So I handle carbs very well. I am training for a powerlifting meet this summer and am backloading on training days but my question is about off days. Since I'm not lifting and don't need a high insulin spike to recover, are low glycemic carbs like brown rice okay? And what do I swap in for my pwo shake? Basically, how do you eat on off days if you're not going low carb? Thanks in advance

Richard Schmitt

Off days you're ULC. So no carbs, and women shouldn't have carbs many times during the week. I highly suggest listening to the recent podcasts that Kiefer has out along with interviews he has done. As always no Low GI carbs as normal.

Tom Singleton
    Participant

Yeah from what I've gathered as a women you prob shouldn't backload on off days unless you've gone a few non training days in a row then maybe a very small one the day before training. And  'low GI carbs' have no place in CBL as it's just gonna stop you getting your full quota of growth hormone release during the night, which is obviously something we really don't want to do without! I'm sure you already know but  Growth hormone = very important!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Consume no carbs on off days.  If you handle carbs well, consume more carbs when you backload.

Liftbig

Consume no carbs on off days.  If you handle carbs well, consume more carbs when you backload.

This. Kiefer doesn't recommend low gi carbs, but there are a lot of people who fit them well and got great results (example Ben Coomber, Ameer Rosic, etc..) Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Richard Schmitt

Ben Greenfield works with or uses carbs that sustain insulin for longer periods at a time PWO, HOWEVER this is completely goal oriented and two different style of athletes that would use Low GI carbs and High GI carbs. In the sense of powerlifting, high GI carbs is what you're after on lifting days 1-2x a week for women.

Liftbig

Ben Greenfield works with or uses carbs that sustain insulin for longer periods at a time PWO, HOWEVER this is completely goal oriented and two different style of athletes that would use Low GI carbs and High GI carbs. In the sense of powerlifting, high GI carbs is what you're after on lifting days 1-2x a week for women.

It's also about the B.F you want to reach too. You cannot indulge big amounts of high insulin tropic carbs in a sitting and get below 8-10% bf without a lot of ULC days /week.. P. S. Maybe Cbl give you the advantage to eat a little more, if you train in the evening, but it's all about calories. Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Gnomer
    Participant

It's also about the B.F you want to reach too. You cannot indulge big amounts of high insulin tropic carbs in a sitting and get below 8-10% bf without a lot of ULC days /week.. P. S. Maybe Cbl give you the advantage to eat a little more, if you train in the evening, but it's all about calories. Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

why is that?  the lower bf% you get the more carb feeds your body should be able to handle.. term "big amounts" obviously is subjective though.. what is big amounts to me is maybe a snack for others

Liftbig

why is that?  the lower bf% you get the more carb feeds your body should be able to handle.. term "big amounts" obviously is subjective though.. what is big amounts to me is maybe a snack for others

I agree ,but  it's more about the muscle mass you carry, not the bf. About your second opinion, this is why you should track your macros after all.. Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I personally think if you have carbs they should always be high glycemic.  The only exception is if you are consuming carbs for performance purposes and you are unable to completely rely on your glycogen stores.  Low GI carbs elevate insulin for way too long and I don't see how that is good for fat loss.  Often the AUC is more than high GI carbs.I think Low GI carbs are just something that are consumed because of tradition, not because of their function.

Liftbig

I personally think if you have carbs they should always be high glycemic.  The only exception is if you are consuming carbs for performance purposes and you are unable to completely rely on your glycogen stores.  Low GI carbs elevate insulin for way too long and I don't see how that is good for fat loss.  Often the AUC is more than high GI carbs.I think Low GI carbs are just something that are consumed because of tradition, not because of their function.

Low gi carbs, may elevate carbs for too long, but they stay in check in the blood sugar(without sugar crash) . But, the huge spike from high gi carbs , makes it easier for them to be stored in the fat cells. P. S. Cbl is more performance oriented, not for competitive bf - bodybuilding. Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Gnomer
    Participant

I agree ,but  it's more about the muscle mass you carry, not the bf. About your second opinion, this is why you should track your macros after all.. Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

its really both LBM + bf% both need to be taken into account in this case..on tracking i really see little to no need to do so unless you really want to know exactly how much you are eating for whatever reason.. overtime its not that hard to determine how much food does what to your body and adjust from there. But for some I do see the need to try and implement a set daily goal to work towards which counting macros would help them.

Liftbig

its really both LBM + bf% both need to be taken into account in this case..on tracking i really see little to no need to do so unless you really want to know exactly how much you are eating for whatever reason.. overtime its not that hard to determine how much food does what to your body and adjust from there. But for some I do see the need to try and implement a set daily goal to work towards which counting macros would help them.

It's all about your goals. As you said you no need to track your macros, especially if you are doing sports, martial arts etc and you want to maintain your physique. If you  do bodybuilding, powerlifting and you want to preserve your muscle mass while losing bf at the same time , hell, you need to track them! Unless you eat the same food in the same portion everyday, lol then you no need to track them. Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Gnomer
    Participant

It's all about your goals. As you said you no need to track your macros, especially if you are doing sports, martial arts etc and you want to maintain your physique. If you  do bodybuilding, powerlifting and you want to preserve your muscle mass while losing bf at the same time , hell, you need to track them! Unless you eat the same food in the same portion everyday, lol then you no need to track them. Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

you really don't though that's my point.. it can be helpfull but is not "required" by any means even for bodybuilders and powerlifters.. and no you don't have to eat exactly the same thing everyday

Powergirl36

I do agree with the high GI carbs. Planning on relying on russet potatoes mainly once I start backloading. I'm in prep now and am surprisingly feeling really good. My plan is to backload 180g carbs (that's the amount I tolerate well) on the days I train and then do half of that (60 g) or so the night before I train on any off days. And go by how I feel. I'm mainly doing this for performance for my meet. I'm at 17% bodyfat and as a female am pretty happy with that. Would be cool if it went down a few points but that's not my focus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Question about off days

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?