Question about PSR sets… effective?

• This topic has 9 voices and 27 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

atomicus

I'm just curious about the efficacy of the PSR sets, vs drop sets for example. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but as I understand it, following the Shockwave plan, I'd do 5 sets of 3, each one upping the weight, until on the 3rd I'm just managing to squeeze out those 3 reps. Thing is, I'm doing that on a weight I would normally manage to do 6-8 reps with, yet I'm only doing 3… and the previous sets have been at weights that I could easily do 10+ at… the initial starting weight probably 20! So what good is this doing? I am JUST managing to push out those last 3 reps, so I'm not under on the weight, but I still don't really feel like I've done that much following this routine, or pushed my body as much as I could. Compared to drop sets for example, I really feel the burn with those, and at the end my muscles feel pretty exhausted. After a PSR set, I don't get that same feeling. I am a pretty seasoned gym-goer, so I'm not new to the game. I'm just a bit unsure about how effective Shockwave is going to be, because, dare I say it, it seems a tad 'easy' at times. ???

Are you doing CNS though?If so it's not ment to be super taxing to keep your Nervous system healthy.While doing backloading you do extended PSR sets by doing 8-15 "mini sets"  and you get the volume plus the training benefit.Killing yourselfs with endless drop sets isn't necessary.

atomicus

I'm doing CBL.Yeah, I've never done endless drop sets, and the PSR seems to work OK for some exercises, but not for others I find. Just overall, as routines go, I definitely could push myself harder, which I thought was the point of CBL, to get a high intensity.

I'm doing CBL.Yeah, I've never done endless drop sets, and the PSR seems to work OK for some exercises, but not for others I find. Just overall, as routines go, I definitely could push myself harder, which I thought was the point of CBL, to get a high intensity.

Yeah, Keifer has said as written SWP works for CNS, but for CBL more volume is needed so the best way to do it is either extended PSR sets, so smaller jumps making 8-15 total sets, or 5 PSR sets 3 times over.

Gnomer
    Participant

i prefer reverse pyramid myself.. i do PSR style with 5 sets but drop the weight after each set instead of raise with no rest inbetween other than the time it takes to drop a plate off the bar.. as long as I'm warmed up already dropping weight i feel gives me a much better workout.. I also can start at a much higher weight than i would end up with on a pyramid style.. i generally start with a weight i can barely do 3 sets and usually by the last set i have a weight i can push up about 6-8 reps.

atomicus

i prefer reverse pyramid myself.. i do PSR style with 5 sets but drop the weight after each set instead of raise with no rest inbetween other than the time it takes to drop a plate off the bar.. as long as I'm warmed up already dropping weight i feel gives me a much better workout.. I also can start at a much higher weight than i would end up with on a pyramid style.. i generally start with a weight i can barely do 3 sets and usually by the last set i have a weight i can push up about 6-8 reps.

Yeah, now that seems better suited for me. I will try this, thanks.  🙂

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

As Trevor said, Shockwave is excellent for when you are on CNS, but if you are on CBL, you are better off doing a more traditional program.  Though Heavy Duty for CBL is awesome if you are running CBL.  The PSR sets are great, but they are tricky.

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

Am i the only one who thinks PSR seta are hard to complete?Maybe im extimating a bigger max weight than i would do for 1 rep but i still find it good,Im liking to do SW as a DB, its giving me a good workout everytime, and i go hard on all exercises

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Am i the only one who thinks PSR seta are hard to complete?Maybe im extimating a bigger max weight than i would do for 1 rep but i still find it good,Im liking to do SW as a DB, its giving me a good workout everytime, and i go hard on all exercises

If you are good at selecting the weights for the PSR sets, they are pretty good.  I think many people (myself included) have a hard time finding the sweet spot where you hit failure on the 3rd rep of the 5th set.  Also they are a pain to do on barbell exercises and exercises where you use a dip belt.  They are great though for cable stack machines and dumbbells.

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

I hear you!Doing PSR for DL for example, only works with a spotter, alone is hard,Today my GF was my assistant, she came to the gym for porpouse to help me doing legs and thats why i say PSR works fine, but only if done right heheI will implement more sets on the PSR, specally for the deltoids since they are the muscle i lack the most due to 6 months without doing them (my trapezium was so contracted that messed with my right deltoid),I wanted to do the Heavy Duty version but unfortanely i had to push my spine too much and its not worth it :/

atomicus

For me, I don't know that the PSR are easy so much as shortly afterwards I don't feel like I've done that much… I recover quickly from them. It's not even like I can't judge the final weight for that final 3-rep set, it's more that I'm doing that on a weight I would normally be able to do 3 times as many reps with, and the lower weights preceding this, 10+, maybe even 20… yet I'm only doing 3-4 on each set! Overall, as intended it seems, it's not putting much strain on my CNS, but I'm obviously used to doing more intensity, therefore my body recovers more quickly. I agree a spotter would help though, but that's true for ANY workout I find. Always helps you push that bit more.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

For me, I don't know that the PSR are easy so much as shortly afterwards I don't feel like I've done that much... I recover quickly from them. It's not even like I can't judge the final weight for that final 3-rep set, it's more that I'm doing that on a weight I would normally be able to do 3 times as many reps with, and the lower weights preceding this, 10+, maybe even 20... yet I'm only doing 3-4 on each set! Overall, as intended it seems, it's not putting much strain on my CNS, but I'm obviously used to doing more intensity, therefore my body recovers more quickly. I agree a spotter would help though, but that's true for ANY workout I find. Always helps you push that bit more.

Well you are training to failure when you do a PSR set, so I don't see how you can get more intense than that unless you are using drop sets, rest pauses, forced reps ect.

atomicus

Yeah, I know logically what you're saying, just in practice, a drop set, rest pause etc. always leaves me feeling I've done more than when I do a PSR set. Not sure why.

Gnomer
    Participant

Yeah, I know logically what you're saying, just in practice, a drop set, rest pause etc. always leaves me feeling I've done more than when I do a PSR set. Not sure why.

same for me which is why i changed the PSR to a reverse pyramid style instead of pyramid.. since I have done that I feel i get a much better workout

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

Well last friday i did my shoulder workout, and in the 1-arm dumbbell upright row PSR i started with an already difficult weight, did 7 mini sets of it and in the end i couldnt do any more,I.ve gone to the failure and i liked it, It really depends on how much volume you wanna put in it, the exercises and sets are just baselines on my opinion, and even Kiefer said that you may need to do more than 5 mini-sets on it 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Question about PSR sets… effective?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?