Question about PSR sets… effective?

• This topic has 9 voices and 27 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yeah, I know logically what you're saying, just in practice, a drop set, rest pause etc. always leaves me feeling I've done more than when I do a PSR set. Not sure why.

Well I guess it comes down to whether or not you trust Kiefer on this matter.  The PSR sets are based on research and work Kiefer has done with clients.  You have to remember that Shockwave is supposed to feel like you didn't work out.  If you don't think it's working for you than I wouldn't keep doing it, but you can't just always go by how you feel.

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

What i find strange is the term “if you dont feel it, go home”,Everyday i WO with shockwave, i feel it..i mean, what is there to feel? i feel the pump, i feel ok to go further..is it what Kiefer means?I never had a bad workout, and the only one i had was on Deload week and it was because i absolutely hate Deloads!

What i find strange is the term "if you dont feel it, go home",Everyday i WO with shockwave, i feel it..i mean, what is there to feel? i feel the pump, i feel ok to go further..is it what Kiefer means?I never had a bad workout, and the only one i had was on Deload week and it was because i absolutely hate Deloads!

You will know when you run across it.Go beyond failure one day, do some hard grinding reps on pressing or deads, then sleep sub 5 hours, you probably aren't gonna feel awesome the next day, haha.

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

Well thats for sure, maybe the reason is that i always have a good night sleep 🙂But i wont do that, ill assume its all good due to the good nutrition and resting plans i have then 🙂

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What i find strange is the term "if you dont feel it, go home",Everyday i WO with shockwave, i feel it..i mean, what is there to feel? i feel the pump, i feel ok to go further..is it what Kiefer means?I never had a bad workout, and the only one i had was on Deload week and it was because i absolutely hate Deloads!

A lot of people are looking for that exhausted feeling.  As you said, Kiefer designed Shockwave so that when you're done, you feel like you could do more.

Jeff Williams
    Participant

PSR sets IMO are great because they don't give you the huge DOMS effect that normally comes from traditional BB lifting techiques.  The one thing that I have noticed with these PSR sets is that I continuously am increasing weight.  I stick to the 5/3 per the SW book and haven't really deviated from it.  The only indicator for me is if on my 5th set (when I know from the previous week I was able to achieve the complete round), I stick the weight, instead of stopping I put the weight back, do a quick 10 count and redo that same weight (as if I were changing out the weight myself).  If I'm able to get 3 reps again, then I'm going up in weight the next week.  Again, I know everyone is different, so “take this with a grain of salt”.  Just another option in my opinion, but volume is always reps X sets, but see what your true volume is by adding in the weight you are lifting, and increase on that as well.  (Reps X Weight Lifted) – for all five sets

Richard Schmitt

Have y'all looked at the App for SW? Its pretty cool on how it sets up percentages

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Have y'all looked at the App for SW? Its pretty cool on how it sets up percentages

My problem with that is that I have no idea what my one rep max is except in the squat, bench, and deadlift.  Do people know their one rep max in the standing dumbbell pushpress?

Richard Schmitt

…no…but I would assume some reference with regular OHP might be helpful.  I was thinking towards the actual percentages for future reference

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

My problem with that is that I have no idea what my one rep max is except in the squat, bench, and deadlift.  Do people know their one rep max in the standing dumbbell pushpress?

Well i take for example a dumbblell exercise, like hammer curl,if its for a 1 rep, i just get a really heavy weight and curl it once, even if i cant curl it, i do a mental calculation of the omne i could do, and than i put on the app,Until now it has worked for me 🙂But my last WO have been a little deviated from the app, in terms of weight percentages, mostly because of the swap time on DL or bench since i mostly WO alone

Martin Tran
    Participant

I believe that with SWP, it's suppose to stimulate muscle growth while leaving your CNS, for lack of better words, with juice left to fully recover. After reading Christian Thibaudeau's article, The Perfect Rep, it makes sense.

Doug Collins
    Participant

I do 4-5 reps of everything, and I'm generally near failure by the end of the set.  “If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you.”

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I do 4-5 reps of everything, and I'm generally near failure by the end of the set.  "If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you."

That works really well for hypertrophy, but for different training effects, like strength and speed-strength, that is not the best protocol for training.  Actually for speed that is the opposite of what you are supposed to do.Not saying your training shouldn't be a challenge, but challenge shouldn't be defined if the set is taken to failure.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Question about PSR sets… effective?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?