Question about Shockwave

• This topic has 6 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

atomicus

OK, just trying to get my head around this. For a prescribed routine, let's take Shoulders/Tris for example, it says to do Side Laterals at Level 2, Normal Performance, 2 sets of 8. Does this mean I work up from Level 0 (2 sets of 8 at each level, 6 sets total), or literally just do 2 sets of 8 at Level 2, them move on to the next exercise? If doing all levels (6 sets total) this seemed confusing as if you're working up through Level 1, that incorporates ELECT and PSR which doesn't seem to fit with the 2 sets of 8.  ???

ChetSteadman
    Participant

Literally just do 2 sets of 8. The eighth rep should be difficult and a ninth should be impossible to get a full rep.Just because the levels are "not in order" in the pdf does not mean you should put them "in order". Just follow the program as designed. This means you will need to gauge your energy levels prior to executing the first level 2 or X exercises, since you will still need energy for the second group of level 1 and 2 exercises.In time you will know what your body is capable of on a given day.

atomicus

OK, but that doesn't include warm-up sets presumably? It's hardly a good idea to be knocking out 8 max rep sets 30 seconds after walking out the changing rooms?!

ChetSteadman
    Participant

Yes, you are correct. That would not be a good idea  ;D You would not start at level 2, however. To get to the level 2 exercises you must first complete levels 0 and 1. Level 0 is the warmup. Again though, do not do the exercises in order of the levels. Do the exercises as they are laid out.Let me walk you through a Chest/Bi workout:- Get in the gym and do Level 0(warmup bench press)- Do the first two Level 1 exercises(Incline Iso and Decline Bench)- If you're feeling good enough to do both Level 2 exercises(DB Pullover and Hammer Curls) then do the DB Pullover Level 2 exercise- If you're feeling unstoppable do the Level X movement(Kiefer says you should only perform this level once a week. Say you do Level X for bench, it's advisable to not do Level X for any other body part until the next week)- Again, if you feel up to doing both Level U exercises(Pulldowns and Triceps Pushdown) you would perform the Pulldown exercise- You are now back at Level 1, but for Bis. If you did not feel up to Level 2, X or U, you would still do Level 1 for Bis(All Level 1 exercises should be done every workout)- If you did Level 2 for Chest, you would do Level 2 for Bis(Hammer Curls). If you did not do Level 2 for Chest, skip this exercise.- Again, if you did Level U for Chest, you would do Level U for Bis(Triceps Pushdowns). If not, skip it.I hope this finally clears everything up  ::)

atomicus

OK, that makes sense, thanks. Will be trying it out this week anyway so will see how it goes.  🙂

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

In the book its said to do only 1 level X per week with a different body part each week but the app has a level X every Workout,On Chest/Bis day its a 1 set 2 rep bench pressOn a Back day, its a 1 set 1 rep DLand like that for every workout,Should i do it? i mean, i can really do it, i dont feel tired or wrecked and i dont know if thats intended to do or not!

ChetSteadman
    Participant

Yeah, the app doesn't follow the pdf very neatly. I'm guessing(since I haven't tried, even though I do own the app) that the Level X exercises will only be put into the workout if you say you can workout for the maximum amount of time. If you can't do the “full” workout I would imagine that would be the first exercise it would drop. Unfortunately with the app, you can't say 'I only want to do Level 1 today', or 'Only Level 2 today'.As far as doing it every workout, I personally wouldn't. Since I think it's almost meant to be a PR set, it will be(or at least should be) very hard on your CNS. Which is why I think Kiefer recommends doing it only once per week. And if you look at it, this means you're attempting a PR for each of the big movements once a month, which makes more sense than going for a PR once a week.

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

Agreed even more today was supposed to be DL 1 setx1 rep lolIm not ready to do a PR with my lower back, at least not now 🙂Thank you for the heads up 😉

Martin Tran
    Participant

SWP: Jacked: “In each session the goal is to get through as many levelsas possible..."SWP: Ripped: "For each session, the goal is to get through all levelsexcept Level X. On most days, you may feel depleted and lethargic fromthe chronic lack of carbohydrates—especially if this is your first time usingsuch a plan. On these days, your goal should be Levels 0, 1 and U."With both plans, at minimum you should be doing 0, 1, 2, and U.

ed marriott
    Participant

Yes, you are correct. That would not be a good idea  ;D You would not start at level 2, however. To get to the level 2 exercises you must first complete levels 0 and 1. Level 0 is the warmup. Again though, do not do the exercises in order of the levels. Do the exercises as they are laid out.Let me walk you through a Chest/Bi workout:- Get in the gym and do Level 0(warmup bench press)- Do the first two Level 1 exercises(Incline Iso and Decline Bench)- If you're feeling good enough to do both Level 2 exercises(DB Pullover and Hammer Curls) then do the DB Pullover Level 2 exercise- If you're feeling unstoppable do the Level X movement(Kiefer says you should only perform this level once a week. Say you do Level X for bench, it's advisable to not do Level X for any other body part until the next week)- Again, if you feel up to doing both Level U exercises(Pulldowns and Triceps Pushdown) you would perform the Pulldown exercise- You are now back at Level 1, but for Bis. If you did not feel up to Level 2, X or U, you would still do Level 1 for Bis(All Level 1 exercises should be done every workout)- If you did Level 2 for Chest, you would do Level 2 for Bis(Hammer Curls). If you did not do Level 2 for Chest, skip this exercise.- Again, if you did Level U for Chest, you would do Level U for Bis(Triceps Pushdowns). If not, skip it.I hope this finally clears everything up  ::)

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but why is the U exercise for each day a different muscle group from the main one being trained that day?I for Chest it is a pulldown......

Richard Schmitt

It works a congugated body part that you plan to work in the next few days. I cannot remember the exact wording used, but basically helps keep the training balanced, I do also believe the ebook explains it.

ed marriott
    Participant

the book (or the version I have, anyway!) doesn't explain it but thanks Big T

Richard Schmitt

the book (or the version I have, anyway!) doesn't explain it but thanks Big T

Yeah I couldn't exactly remember where, but I could have swore there was a better explaination of it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Question about Shockwave

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?