Question on Barbell Rows

• This topic has 6 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

AdamFiddler
    Keymaster

Today was my first day doing barbell rows (aka Pendlay rows as I believe they've also come to be known).While I thought they were designed to mostly make use of the upper back traps and shoulder girdle, the only thing I felt was down along the posterior chain and the hamstrings especially.  I don't believe it's due to poor hamstring flexibility, as while I'm not yoga-like flexible, I can definitely squat true ATG and do 3 times per week.  I made sure to keep my back very close to parallel with a slight arch while rowing, pull with my elbows, touch my lower chest and return to full extension without bouncing up before I pulled again.  Am I just mistaken in what exercise is designed to target or is something amiss in my form do you guys think?Thanks for your time,Adam

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Your hamstrings do work isometrically in a bent over row.  Where on your body are you rowing to?  If you want to hit the upper back, row to your chest (just below your nipples).

Big_R
    Participant

Today was my first day doing barbell rows (aka Pendlay rows as I believe they've also come to be known).While I thought they were designed to mostly make use of the upper back traps and shoulder girdle, the only thing I felt was down along the posterior chain and the hamstrings especially.  I don't believe it's due to poor hamstring flexibility, as while I'm not yoga-like flexible, I can definitely squat true ATG and do 3 times per week.  I made sure to keep my back very close to parallel with a slight arch while rowing, pull with my elbows, touch my lower chest and return to full extension without bouncing up before I pulled again.  Am I just mistaken in what exercise is designed to target or is something amiss in my form do you guys think?Thanks for your time,Adam

also you may want to try a supinated grip on the barbell row... that will target the upper middle more than a pronated grip. 

Cropsy

With Pendlay Rows you finish each rep with the barbell on the floor. You don't do that with the regular barbell row.

AdamFiddler

With Pendlay Rows you finish each rep with the barbell on the floor. You don't do that with the regular barbell row.

Haha well when I can actually do 45's on each side I guess it'll turn into a Pendlay row then  😛I actually tried to put the barbell back on the floor during each rep but because the plates I was using were small I couldn't return it fully to the floor without rounding my lower back to put it down.  Should I just bend my knees as much as I have to so that I can get the weight down to the floor?  I think a pretty upright leg position could also be why I was feeling my hamstrings working a lot harder than I expected.  Thanks for the replies guys.Also, ibobland--I was rowing to about the area you suggested.  I'm guessing actually that it's my leg position being too upright.Adam

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

You may be doing some sort of Romanian deadlift to row exercise.  Keep you entire body tight, chest proud, and look foward.  The only joints where there should be movement is you shoulders and elbows.  You will always feel something in your hamnstrings, but you should mostly feel it in your back and biceps.

thisisbasil

can you do chinups/pullups? ive never saw any body part explode quite like my back when i stripped all back exercises away but deadlifts and chinups.rows are ok as well, i guess, but they dont see anywhere as effective as chinups.

Nicholas E bucci
    Participant

You also have to remember that that closer your chest is to parallel with the floor the more your posterior chain is involved. You are supporting the weight of the barbell AND your torso for the duration of the lift (you mentioned doing them with 45's so lowballing it were talking 185lbs if you add the bar and your torso). If you are doing sets of 8+ reps with good form (controlled movement, not jerking up and down) that can turn into a long set and even though it's only an isometric contraction, your hammy's, glutes and spinal erectors are gonna be doing a decent amount of work and they'll def get a good burn.Personally I view bent over rows as a great overall back exercise for this very reason. If you wanna eliminate the lower back strain you could always swap them out for chest supported rows.

Daveski731

Have you tried standing on a 2-3inch platform. i know that some guys ive trained have to do this due to being long limbed, making it a deadlift and then setting your position. I do this with varying grips and i will advise to target lats pull to your stomach. Navel to be precise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Question on Barbell Rows

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?