Question On Increasing Mitochondria Concentration In Muscle Tissue During HIIT

• This topic has 3 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Go Heavy
    Participant

In the flex issue in which Kiefer talks about interval training, he mentions hiit especially paired with leucine increasing the amount of mitochondria in muscle tissue and making the muscle denser and so increasing it's maximum size potential. My question is: Is the increase in mitochondria only in muscle being worked during hiit training just as glut 4 and 12 are only translocated in working muscle tissue during resistance training or does it effect the entire body's skeletal muscle tissue? In essence, will doing hiit on a pedal bike only help make my legs bigger?  lol And also could heavy bag work such as 30 seconds of all out effort and then 4 minutes produce a similar effect as say the exercise bike? This question is especially important if the answer to the last question is that mitochondrial density is mostly or only affected in the worked muscle group.I typed in mitochondria in the search bar and didn't really find my answer so I hope this hasn't already been asked.  Thanks in advance.

meier.2007

This has already been asked but never answered  😛 http://dangerouslyhardcore.com/forum/index.php?topic=2408.msg23664#msg23664

Go Heavy
    Participant

If it was never answered..then apparently it needs to be asked again anyways. ^^;Actually upon reading your question...our questions are completely different lol xD The only similarity is concerining whether the process is systemic or localized.  But we're talking about two different things with two different effects.  Effects that happen at the same time possibly but different never the less. I don't understand the process well enough to know whether they go 'hand in hand' or not.  I'm thinking you could have more of one without as much of the other though given what I've read in other threads about changing hiit intervals to fit your needs. Increasing vo2 max over burning fat for example.

If it was never answered..then apparently it needs to be asked again anyways. ^^;

He talked about this in the UnRX podcast.It is muscle specific so when aiming for upper body I would do rowing most likely, as far as a heavy bag, I'd have no idea how well that would work.

Go Heavy
    Participant

Is the podcast in the biojacked section? I'd like to hear more on it if there is anything.

Is the podcast in the biojacked section? I'd like to hear more on it if there is anything.

I'm pretty sure it was on this one. If not I do remember it was a podcast he was a guest on.http://www.unrxpodcast.com/episode-27-kiefer/

meier.2007

Actually upon reading your question...our questions are completely different lol xD

Well, I wouldn't say they're completely different since we're actually talking about the same thing here. Your question was about the 'increase in mitochondria' which, I guess, means mitochondrial density. I asked about oxidate capacity (in the muscle, not in one specific mitochondrion) and that aspect is of course heavily influenced by mitochondrial density as well as function. In the end I guess we both wanted to know if more and more efficient mitochondria are only produced in the muscle worked out during HIIT, or also in other muscle groups, right?

He talked about this in the UnRX podcast.It is muscle specific so when aiming for upper body I would do rowing most likely, as far as a heavy bag, I'd have no idea how well that would work.

Yep, that's what I found out after looking into the subject a little further

Go Heavy
    Participant

What Kiefer talks about in this podcast and what he talks about in the issue of flex are a little different as far as what aspects he goes into detail on    Increasing the concentration of mitocondria, the "density" of them, as in how many of them there are has a multitude of effects.  Increased fat burning, higher lactic acid threshold and the point of this thread: Increased muscle size potential.    Our questions aren't the same because the reasons we wanted to know weren't the same which may have changed the methodologies necessary to achieve our goals. Mine anyways.  In your question in the other thread, your focus was increased fat burning where mine was increased muscle mass/size potential.  We both want both probably lol But if mitochondria density had no significant effect on muscle size I would probably just stick to the bike as best as I can know that I'm in a fatty acid or glycogen burning state when I need to be rather than risk burning myself up for little gain or even nothing especially since I hate cardio with a pasion 😛    Rowing isn't going to likely effect any of the pressing musculature one way or the other which is why I asked about the heavy bag.  I don't want my legs and back to be the only things benefiting from this increase in muscle size potential.  Especially with my chest being so far behind the rest of me.  It's not the end all be all but everything helps and if an advantage is to be had I want to use it.Thanks for the podcast Trevvor was deffinately informative..though didn't quite give me what I was looking for. =So going from here knowing that it's muscle specific during training..my question remains concerning the heavy bag or pressing equivalent for hiit so that I have all muscle groups covered.

Drewtai

In my opinion the 2 best HIIT exercises are sprinting and burpees. Burpees will take care of the chest issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Question On Increasing Mitochondria Concentration In Muscle Tissue During HIIT

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?