Questions and Clarifications Please

• This topic has 5 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

selah7
    Keymaster

HI:I had my first Carb Nite yesterday after the reorientation phase.  I did the reorientation for 6.5 days.  I am a avid runner so based on what I read in the book, I shortened that phase. I am 45, 5'2" and weigh 131 lbs. So here are my questions:1. Do I need to count calories? Does it matter how many calories I consume?2. Do I need to count fat, protein and carbohydrates on ultralow carb days?3. Does amount of protein need to equal the amount of fat on ultralow carb days?4. Is there a minimum or maximum number of carbohydrates for Carb nite?5. Can I drink diet soda?6. Can we eat vegetables not listed in the Food Lists in the book?7. How does this diet compare to the HCG diet? I was on the HCG diet and lost 18 lbs and then gained back 10 lbs over 8 months.  :'(8. Do we need to use a protein supplement?9. How long will it take to lose 10 lbs?Thanks so much!Sharon

Damon Amato
    Participant

you should wait for Naomi to chime in being that she has the only similar equipment, but hopefully we can answer most of the general questions now.

HI:I had my first Carb Nite yesterday after the reorientation phase.  I did the reorientation for 6.5 days.  I am a avid runner so based on what I read in the book, I shortened that phase. I am 45, 5'2" and weigh 131 lbs. So here are my questions:1. Do I need to count calories? Does it matter how many calories I consume?no, it's hard and it'll frustrate you if you're off.  If done properly, excess calories will burn off as heat.2. Do I need to count fat, protein and carbohydrates on ultralow carb days?check out the delta chart in the book for this.  In general, go for 50/50 split of fat/protein and <30g carbs on low carb days.3. Does amount of protein need to equal the amount of fat on ultralow carb days?see above4. Is there a minimum or maximum number of carbohydrates for Carb nite?see delta chart, it depends on your weight loss during the orientation phase5. Can I drink diet soda?tough question.  Diet soda contains both aspartame and asulfame potassium, both of which according to Kiefer will raise insulin levels.  How much?  Don't know.  Is it ok once in a while?  Probably.6. Can we eat vegetables not listed in the Food Lists in the book?sure, just look up the nutritional content and see how many grams of non-fiber carbs are in them.  The ones listed in the book are listed for a reason though.7. How does this diet compare to the HCG diet? I was on the HCG diet and lost 18 lbs and then gained back 10 lbs over 8 months.  :'(substitute "HCG" with "any random diet" and the same probably holds true.  Many things work, some things don't, nothing works forever.8. Do we need to use a protein supplement?at your weight, you may not need it for getting the amount of total protein you need, however different types can do different things and make things easier, especially post workout.9. How long will it take to lose 10 lbs?that's a loaded question.  The first thing that comes to my mind is that you are worried about your scale weight probably more than you need to be, and should concentrate more on having better body composition.  Many people can lose 10lb in a week, I train with fighters who can lose 7-8lb in 90 minutes. Doesn't mean an ounce of it is fat, and if it's not, why would you want to lose it?Thanks so much!Sharon

selah7

Thanks so much for the information and clarifications.What is the delta chart?Sharon

selah7

How often do you weigh on the carb nite plan?

Damon Amato
    Participant

Thanks so much for the information and clarifications.What is the delta chart?Sharon

it's in the book regarding your carb storage based on weight loss throughout the depletion stage.

selah7

I can't find this delta chart.  Is it an actual chart or just an explanation?  My index doesn't even list it.

Damon Amato
    Participant

appendix C, p.224

IOWA.PharmD

It's in the Carb Back-Loading book, not Carb Nite Solution.

Damon Amato
    Participant

ahhh, good point.  Blew right past me.

stephenhdmrs

Diet soda on Carb Nite Solution diet is fine.  Don't try to drink this instead of water, but one or two a day should be fine.

Naomi Most

ahhh, good point.  Blew right past me.

That's why we have different forums, so we don't have to ask each other which book/system we're talking about. 🙂

Naomi Most

Diet soda on Carb Nite Solution diet is fine.  Don't try to drink this instead of water, but one or two a day should be fine.

2 per day of an aspartame or ace-K sweetened soda starts to push acceptability when you are trying to avoid insulin spikes.If you can find diet soda / drinks sweetened with sucralose, go for those instead, and then you won't have to worry about it.Read figure competitor Caroline Gick's article on how she approaches diet soda (hint: she consumes it as an occasional treat while knowing that it will hinder her in a very real way if she makes a habit of it).

Naomi Most

HI:I had my first Carb Nite yesterday after the reorientation phase.  I did the reorientation for 6.5 days.  I am a avid runner so based on what I read in the book, I shortened that phase. I am 45, 5'2" and weigh 131 lbs. So here are my questions:1. Do I need to count calories? Does it matter how many calories I consume?2. Do I need to count fat, protein and carbohydrates on ultralow carb days?

Just count carbs, that's the only thing that matters. Keep it under 30g per day -- ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM. You'll note that the meal plans in the book keep carb totals to roughly 15-20g per day.

3. Does amount of protein need to equal the amount of fat on ultralow carb days?

That's a useful "guideline" to follow, but it's not necessary. Just make sure each meal contains an appreciable amount of fat, so no typical bodybuilder cutting meals like fat-free chicken breasts w/ spinach.  (At least add a few Tbsps of butter to those veggies!)

4. Is there a minimum or maximum number of carbohydrates for Carb nite?

Nope. You have to listen to your body on this one.  Listen to your body's hunger and satiation signals while choosing the highest-glycemic, lowest-fiber foods you can get your hands on.  You know, like cake and potatoes.  And stay within the 6-hour window for carb consumption.Totals will vary WIDELY. I remember going a little overboard with my first Carb Nite and winding up having eaten 500g of carbs (I now do about 400g, that seems to work perfectly for me -- 133lbs 19% bodyfat), while the big dudes will easily put down 1000g.It is useful to track your intake (both on the ULC days and the high-carb day) for the first 2-3 weeks (using a smartphone really helps, e.g. the MyNetDiary iPhone app which is my favorite) just to get a feel for what different amounts of macronutrients are doing to your energy, hunger, and satiation levels.

5. Can I drink diet soda?

see my earlier answer on this thread.

6. Can we eat vegetables not listed in the Food Lists in the book?

Sure, but you need to understand their carb content to make appropriate serving choices. The ones listed are there because they are the lowest-carb veggies you can get. Broccoli is famously NOT on the list because it contains quite a bit of starch when cooked (less when raw). It is to your benefit to start becoming a human carb calculator for as many foods as possible, so that's yet another recommendation for tracking your foods for 2 weeks or so.

7. How does this diet compare to the HCG diet? I was on the HCG diet and lost 18 lbs and then gained back 10 lbs over 8 months.  :'(

No idea, haven't studied that one yet.

8. Do we need to use a protein supplement?

Not at all!  Although you may use protein shakes that are balanced w/ fat as snacks.Consuming anywhere between .8g to 1.2g of protein per pound of bodyweight will work perfectly on Carb Nite.

9. How long will it take to lose 10 lbs?

Nobody can answer that one.  Too many variables to address there, everything from your body's hormone levels to the amount of sleep you get per night.Also realize that MOST women encounter a hard plateau for a good 2-3 weeks, sometimes a full month, while on a cyclic ketogenic diet, sometimes at the beginning of Carb Nite and sometimes after a few weeks of consistently losing fat. No explanations as to why, it just is. Keep on it and you should get past any temporary stalls.Hope that helps!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Questions and Clarifications Please

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?