Questions for Naomi

• This topic has 2 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

girl
    Keymaster

I'm doing carbnite. I'm on my 3rd week and I see a very small change. I was on the atkins induction phase for 2 months and as my weight loss stalled my internet reading led me to you (postpartumpunk and carbnite) I'm 5'4  25% BF .. I started out at 29% I am 5 months post postpartum and nursing. I log my foods to fitday and keep a 50/50 fat and protein balance. My calories are around 1600-1700so my questions ..Should I hold out and wait for carbnite to get me thru this stall? Is 250 grams of carbs on the carbnite ok? I seriously get nauseated over that amount. <- trying not to whine  :PDidn't I read on your blog you gave up the carbnite?If so what are you doing now? PS you are bad ass and I love your blog

Naomi Most

I'm doing carbnite. I'm on my 3rd week and I see a very small change. I was on the atkins induction phase for 2 months and as my weight loss stalled my internet reading led me to you (postpartumpunk and carbnite) I'm 5'4 142 25% BF .. I started out at 29% I am 5 months post postpartum and nursing. I log my foods to fitday and keep a 50/50 fat and protein balance. My calories are around 1600-1700so my questions ..

So far so good!

Should I hold out and wait for carbnite to get me thru this stall?

Maybe... maybe not.  When you're nursing (full time?) there are some hormonal confounders to the equation, particularly from prolactin, which are not well understood vis-a-vis cyclic ketogenic diets. In fact I'd venture to guess hardly anybody's even thought about it -- which was one of my big motivations for writing my blog!I would suggest that you probably need a lot more calories to make fat loss possible while nursing. I was eating something like 2700 calories a day on average while breastfeeding (full time) on Carb Nite and losing about half a pound a week.

Is 250 grams of carbs on the carbnite ok? I seriously get nauseated over that amount. <- trying not to whine  😛

It COULD be an okay amount. The key thing here is that you should wake up feeling a bit bloated. If you feel pretty normal, then I'd definitely suggest hitting the carbs a lot harder next week.I find it super easy to eat about 500g of carbs on Carb Nite using these simple rules of thumb:* avoid wheat and gluten (this means going for gluten-free baked goods)* avoid fructose (minimize fruit intake)* Also, I'm not sure if you realize (just based on your post) that the Carb Nite window is SIX HOURS -- no more, and no less.  Lots of time for carb ingestion. You don't have to have them all at once!

Didn't I read on your blog you gave up the carbnite?If so what are you doing now? PS you are bad ass and I love your blog

Wow thanks!There are two pieces to my answer, but it essentially boils down to the fact that Carb Nite is a TOOL that you can use whenever you want. You can stop doing it, go back to a "regular" diet (or another performance-fat-loss diet such as Carb Back-Loading) for a little while, and then go back on it whenever you want.Carb Nite's not intended to be a lifestyle diet, only a tool for super-effective fat loss.So with that in mind -- I stopped doing Carb Nite the first time around because it just felt right to go off it for a while and eat a wider variety of foods. Can't really explain it better than that.  I think I went back on it about 2 months later, for about a month.The other part of my answer is that I'm back on it again!  I was doing Carb Back-Loading for a while (as it still says on my blog), but I'm switching to Carb Nite for about 3 weeks because I can't train hard and heavy while my lower back is in pain, and Carb Back-Loading REQUIRES heavy training.So I'm back on Carb Nite because I still feel like dropping a bit of bodyfat (maybe get down to 17%? who knows!) and because it's very easy to switch between Carb Nite and CBL depending on circumstances.Hope that helps!

girl

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'll plan better on my Carbnites and up my daily caloric intake.I guess I'm afraid upping my calorie intake will increase my weight. I nurse thorough out the day and supplement with formula. I estimate my baby gets 12 or so ounces of BM daily. I do feel bloated after I eat my carb meals, my feet and hands swell and I get really nauseous. The next morning I have a small water gain and not much bloating. Not sure if that means anything or not. Anyway, I'll carry on. My husband is starting Backloading today, that should keep me motivated. I am interested in following you (sounds creepy lol) nutrition wise. I need to check your blog for your current eating habits. My goal is so close! My size 3's leave me with a big sexy muffin top. When they fit I will be ecstatic!

Naomi Most

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'll plan better on my Carbnites and up my daily caloric intake.I guess I'm afraid upping my calorie intake will increase my weight. I nurse thorough out the day and supplement with formula. I estimate my baby gets 12 or so ounces of BM daily. I do feel bloated after I eat my carb meals, my feet and hands swell and I get really nauseous. The next morning I have a small water gain and not much bloating. Not sure if that means anything or not. Anyway, I'll carry on. My husband is starting Backloading today, that should keep me motivated. I am interested in following you (sounds creepy lol) nutrition wise. I need to check your blog for your current eating habits. My goal is so close! My size 3's leave me with a big sexy muffin top. When they fit I will be ecstatic!

Hey I still had the muffin top (and more) when I was 5 months postpartum. That's about when I realized that calorie-cutting and cardio would never work.As for following me -- I'm putting myself out there on the web to try and help people -- especially nursing mamas!  Just don't consider me a paragon of Dangerously Hardcore perfection. I probably screw these diets up at least once a week. Maybe I should be logging this stuff more, so you can see -- a glass of wine here, some extra chocolate there.The awesome thing about Kiefer's diets is that they're very forgiving. People who are far more perfect than me at these diets are doing way the hell better. But do you see my boyfriend complaining about how I look? NO.  (Probably because he's in way worse shape right now, hahaha)BTW, well done keeping the milk supply going in the face of formula-feeding. If you ever want tips on increasing supply, lemme know, because I've done a lot of experimentation with herbs and nutrition for breastfeeding.

girl

I WOULD LOVE TIPS!! I have done fenugreek with some great success..stopped b/c well.. hmm .. I  dunno.. I need to take my fenugreek!  I am 32 with 5 kiddos trying to still rock the size 3's. I do work outs by another bad ass mom like you.. http://www.momwod.com/2011/09/beginner-bodyweight-workout/  … she is amazing and it's pretty much perfect for me and my goals right now. So send me your tips

Naomi Most

I WOULD LOVE TIPS!! I have done fenugreek with some great success..stopped b/c well.. hmm .. I  dunno.. I need to take my fenugreek!  I am 32 with 5 kiddos trying to still rock the size 3's. I do work outs by another bad ass mom like you.. http://www.momwod.com/2011/09/beginner-bodyweight-workout/  ... she is amazing and it's pretty much perfect for me and my goals right now. So send me your tips

Ah yeah, that's Julia Ladewski's side project.  good stuff.Basic milk supply advice: increase your saturated fat intake (butter and coconut oil and grass-fed beef are best) and (potentially) double or triple the amount of water you are drinking.  Do these things in combination with taking fenugreek (with food), and get yourself pumping (more).Fenugreek works only in large doses. You should take at least 600mg three to four times a day. Your sweat will start smelling like maple syrup (well, more like the fake maple that donuts are glazed with) after day 2. If it doesn't UP YOUR DOSAGE.It's important to realize that fenugreek creates the chemical conditions for generating more milk, but you need to generate the nervous system stimulation necessary to complete the circuit (so to speak).  That means as soon as you start taking the fenugreek, you also need to be adding 2+ pumping sessions a day.  These could be back-to-back (an hour apart), but you need to do the time. Without the extra nerve stimulation, you won't likely get much of a milk boost.I was able to restart lactation a couple of weeks ago by doing this protocol, so it definitely works even after all nursing sessions have ceased for weeks, maybe even months.

girl

I WOULD LOVE TIPS!! I have done fenugreek with some great success..stopped b/c well.. hmm .. I  dunno.. I need to take my fenugreek!  I am 32 with 5 kiddos trying to still rock the size 3's. I do work outs by another bad ass mom like you.. http://www.momwod.com/2011/09/beginner-bodyweight-workout/  ... she is amazing and it's pretty much perfect for me and my goals right now. So send me your tips

Ah yeah, that's Julia Ladewski's little project.  good stuff.Basic milk supply advice: increase your saturated fat intake (butter and coconut oil and grass-fed beef are best) and (potentially) double or triple the amount of water you are drinking.  Do these things in combination with taking fenugreek (with food), and get yourself pumping (more).Fenugreek works only in large doses. You should take at least 600mg three to four times a day. Your sweat will start smelling like maple syrup (well, more like the fake maple that donuts are glazed with) after day 2. If it doesn't UP YOUR DOSAGE.It's important to realize that fenugreek creates the chemical conditions for generating more milk, but you need to generate the nervous system stimulation necessary to complete the circuit (so to speak).  That means as soon as you start taking the fenugreek, you also need to be adding 2+ pumping sessions a day.  These could be back-to-back (an hour apart), but you need to do the time. Without the extra nerve stimulation, you won't likely get much of a milk boost.I was able to restart lactation a couple of weeks ago by doing this protocol, so it definitely works even after all nursing sessions have ceased for weeks, maybe even months.

Thank you so much! How long PP did you (re)lactate?

Naomi Most

It was roughly 2 weeks after all nursing sessions stopped that I decided to start the fenugreek protocol again.I didn't even have to pump more than once a day.  The milk was definitely there and I got let-downs very easily.  Too bad my little guy had totally forgotten what nursing was by that point. Amazing how fast they learn new things and how fast the irrelevant knowledge just slips away...That was about 2 weekends ago.  It took 3 days of the fenugreek protocol to get to the point where I could pump 2 ounces (which was my standard output per session after the 7 month mark).Since my son doesn't want the milk anymore, I just donated the milk and the pump to another mother. Experiment completed.  (I am slightly sad, but life must goes on...)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Questions for Naomi

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?