Questions for the Body.io Podcasts

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

What do you guys think of Keifer's opinions on butter and cream.  Personally, I agree with him.  I'll take cream any day over  butter in my coffee.  I never cared for the butter.  I always thought it tasted like shit and was a pain in the ass.Also his opinion on MCT oil was a pretty big bombshell.  I wish he went more in depth on it though.

I was confused...listened to it right after having my butter and mct oil coffee this morning lol...Guess it's coconut oil and cream now. I have no more insight other than to say I was surprised to hear it.

Liftbig

On the podcast with Ben Coomber Kiefer mentioned that he has really backed away from caffeine. I wanted to get an idea on the the new protocols are in light of this. For example, what is being done to replace coffee/caffeine in the morning to help burn fat and also what are recommendations for pre-workout.

The amount of caffeine he recommended were pretty big. No need to go crazy... The pwo caffeine recommendation was pretty dumb, personally..

What do you guys think of Keifer's opinions on butter and cream.  Personally, I agree with him.  I'll take cream any day over  butter in my coffee.  I never cared for the butter.  I always thought it tasted like shit and was a pain in the ass.Also his opinion on MCT oil was a pretty big bombshell.  I wish he went more in depth on it though.

I never completely understanded why would you need to put fats on your coffee, as long it's easy to get the amount you need from food. The whole bacteria BS from bulletproof?  Or just simply to break the fast? Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI P6-U06 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I never completely understanded why would you need to put fats on your coffee, as long it's easy to get the amount you need from food. The whole bacteria BS from bulletproof?  Or just simply to break the fast?

The cream in the coffee is just for convenience and taste.  What's the bacteria BS you are talking about?

I was confused...listened to it right after having my butter and mct oil coffee this morning lol...Guess it's coconut oil and cream now. I have no more insight other than to say I was surprised to hear it.

There isn't anything wrong with butter if you enjoy it.  Also I think a little bit of MCT is fine.  I think what's bad is loading up with 20 g + of MCT oil.  Then again who knows.  I wish he went more in depth.

Liftbig

I never completely understanded why would you need to put fats on your coffee, as long it's easy to get the amount you need from food. The whole bacteria BS from bulletproof?  Or just simply to break the fast?

The cream in the coffee is just for convenience and taste.  What's the bacteria BS you are talking about?

There isn't anything wrong with butter if you enjoy it.  Also I think a little bit of MCT is fine.  I think what's bad is loading up with 20 g + of MCT oil.  Then again who knows.  I wish he went more in depth.

I'm not quite sure, but the creator of Bulletproof Coffee, say's something about the coffee bacteria, etc. I haven't looked in depth, so..

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'm not quite sure, but the creator of Bulletproof Coffee, say's something about the coffee bacteria, etc. I haven't looked in depth, so..

Oh you must be talking about the mycotoxins in coffee.  Yea I think it's a load of crap as well.

Liftbig

Oh you must be talking about the mycotoxins in coffee.  Yea I think it's a load of crap as well.

Correct! Hehe...

Gl;itch.e

Whats this about MCTs? Personally I have always just found coconut oil to be easier to deal with. And much cheaper. It's also closer to a “whole food” so might have synergistic benefits not seen with the MCTs on their own.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Whats this about MCTs? Personally I have always just found coconut oil to be easier to deal with. And much cheaper. It's also closer to a "whole food" so might have synergistic benefits not seen with the MCTs on their own.

Kiefer said sedentary people should not be taking high doses of MCT oil regularly.  He thinks it could potentially lead to fatty liver (I think that's what he said).  I think he is referring to Dave Asprey's 30 g of MCT oil recommendation.Kiefer said he recommends high MCT dose for athletes in certain situations, but he said you should stick mostly to coconut oil for pretty much the reasons you mentioned.Personally I never really got MCT.  I do take 10 g (slightly under a tablespoon) in the morning, but I never really got these magical benefits that everyone talks about. 

Stephen Williams
    Participant

By the way it sounds MCT is mainly used for a source of energy vice something to accelerate fat loss. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gl;itch.e

Whats this about MCTs? Personally I have always just found coconut oil to be easier to deal with. And much cheaper. It's also closer to a "whole food" so might have synergistic benefits not seen with the MCTs on their own.

Kiefer said sedentary people should not be taking high doses of MCT oil regularly.  He thinks it could potentially lead to fatty liver (I think that's what he said).  I think he is referring to Dave Asprey's 30 g of MCT oil recommendation.Kiefer said he recommends high MCT dose for athletes in certain situations, but he said you should stick mostly to coconut oil for pretty much the reasons you mentioned.Personally I never really got MCT.  I do take 10 g (slightly under a tablespoon) in the morning, but I never really got these magical benefits that everyone talks about.

Interesting. I do remember getting some pretty strong stomach pain and the shits from trying to take a tablespoon or so of MCTs when I first tried it. Lower amounts didn't cause much trouble but then coconut oil was always better digested it seems.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Interesting. I do remember getting some pretty strong stomach pain and the shits from trying to take a tablespoon or so of MCTs when I first tried it. Lower amounts didn't cause much trouble but then coconut oil was always better digested it seems.

I was the same way.  It actually took me almost year to work up to 10 g of oil.  I still can't take it in high stress situations like pre-workout.

Adrian Caron
    Participant

I thought one of the reasons for 'bulletproof coffee' was the grass fed butter, so you're getting a “higher quality fat”.  I haven't been able to find a readily available, 100% grass fed heavy cream, though sort of this.For the Coconut Oil vs MCT, the conversation in the podcast was around coconut oil having lauric acid (C12), capric (C10) and caprylic (C8), MCT oil is all capric (C10) and caprylic acid (C8). Kiefer was saying C12 was beneficial (?), but I thought the others (C10, C8) produce more ketones?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I thought one of the reasons for 'bulletproof coffee' was the grass fed butter, so you're getting a "higher quality fat".  I haven't been able to find a readily available, 100% grass fed heavy cream, though sort of this.For the Coconut Oil vs MCT, the conversation in the podcast was around coconut oil having lauric acid (C12), capric (C10) and caprylic (C8), MCT oil is all capric (C10) and caprylic acid (C8). Kiefer was saying C12 was beneficial (?), but I thought the others (C10, C8) produce more ketones?

The organic valley cream is pasture raised so it is grass fed.  It's important to understand that most "Grass fed" products aren't 100% grass fed.  Farmers in most climates have to feed their cattle some grains in the winter.  Kerrygold does this and local farmers do this as well.  The reason Asprey recommends butter over cream is because cream has some casein in it.  The thing is, most people aren't allergic to casein or intolerant of it, so there's no reason to avoid it.  It's just another one of those paleo myths.You are correct that C8 and C10 are more ketogenic, but I think Kiefer was saying that it was unnecessary and it can have negative downsides if you are taking high amounts.  C12 has all the benefits of those, but is safer in high amounts.

Adrian Caron
    Participant

The organic valley cream is pasture raised so it is grass fed.  It's important to understand that most "Grass fed" products aren't 100% grass fed.  Farmers in most climates have to feed their cattle some grains in the winter.  Kerrygold does this and local farmers do this as well.

Yeah I get that, but wasn't sure if like some meats, it's grass fed and grain finished/mixed vs 100%.  Some mfg's, at least in advertising/website, say what that feed is when grass isn't available.  If they don't say anything it's likely just grain, instead of like organic hay, etc.  Probably doesn't matter much, was just reading through http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grass-fed-butter/#axzz2rLT9Hcan I also thought I had read somewhere (I don't have the ref) that butter vs cream affected blood sugar differently, like cream was higher, again probably splitting hairs.

Tom Filhol
    Participant

Gotta say, I loved the 30 minute rant about butter vs cream and MCT vs coconut oil. As someone who's been doing the butter and MCT thing in coffee for a couple years now, it was awesome to get some more info on this.Since listening, I've switched over to cream and coconut oil instead. Tastes way nicer and I have to say I do feel a little better too.Where can we submit questions for Kiefer and Dr. Rocky? I have a few that as far as I'm aware haven't been answered yet, and I've pretty much read / listened to all Kiefer's material. Would be great to have these answered or if anyone can point me to where they've already been discussed. Or chime in with your own opinions about these.Questions:Is fluoride in  tap water a concern and if so, which method of filtration would be best; distillation or reverse osmosis?What are the advantages of the ULC diet on dental health and why isn't this discussed more?Should we be supplementing with magnesium and potassium on ULC days?Is there any benefit to consuming more fish oil than recommended, say 10ml 3 times a day?  Is there a safe limit?Does cooking the yolk of an egg deteriorate the nutients in the yolk?Is there any benefit to thoroughly chewing food?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Questions for the Body.io Podcasts

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?